Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantasy Premier League PreSeason Prep

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

manual_man wrote: »
    Anybody else unconvinced by United's defense? I see a lot going for De Gea/Shaw. On one hand I think LVG will get them more organized, as well as having a nice opening run of fixtures, but on the other hand I just can't forget how leaky they were last year, and also Ferdinand/Vidic are both gone, probably the 2 players that were most responsible for all the clean sheets they racked up over the last good few years.

Yeah, I don't think 6.0 is worth it for a United defender, so that rules Shaw out for me. Maybe 5.5 is. So that would leave DDG or, possibly Evans (if he's a starter?!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If Vermaelen goes to United, everyone will get on that one. Only 5 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Raf32 wrote: »
    If Vermaelen goes to United, everyone will get on that one. Only 5 million.

Yep, definitely. He's good for the odd goal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

But if Vermaelen goes to United, will he actually start?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭TaytoCrisps

At present i have 3 united players and Vermaelan in the hope he signs. Hoping my team is set so i wont need to make transfers until a week or 2 in. not much of an advantage really :o

At present i have 3 united players and Vermaelan in the hope he signs. Hoping my team is set so i wont need to make transfers until a week or 2 in. not much of an advantage really :o

Man this is the same team that finished 7th miles off the pace last season with no marquee signings to speak of since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

CSF wrote: »
    Man this is the same team that finished 7th miles off the pace last season with no marquee signings to speak of since.

Also the same team who won the league the season before that. It's all about how van Gaal sets the team up IMO. Plus I'm sure they'll make a few signings between now and the end of transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Devia wrote: »
    Also the same team who won the league the season before that. It's all about how van Gaal sets the team up IMO. Plus I'm sure they'll make a few signings between now and the end of transfer window.

Its not really the same team that won the league. They have lost atleast 4 maybe 5 first team players many of whom were defenders.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Its not really the same team that won the league. They have lost atleast 4 maybe 5 first team players any of whom were defenders.

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Micah Richards could be a good shout at 5mil... Likely to Leave city to a decent side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think every year, the bargains are to be had in players involved in transfers. I'm keeping an eye on Vermaelen, Lukaku, Wisdom, Lovren, Richards, Milner, Borini, Bony -- depending on where they end up, there could be some serious value there.

Tentative team is as follows:

GK: Mannone, Krul
    DF: Debuchy, Zabaleta, Vlaar, Ward, Bruce
    MF: Fabregas, Ramsey, Erikson, Markovic, Kagawa
    FW: Dzeko, Giroud, Bony

Debuchy looks a nice way into the Arsenal defence, with hopefully some attacking returns
    Fabregas is a must-have at 9, I think. His assist record is second to none.
    Hoping Potchetino can get Erikson and Spurs firing. I'll keep an eye on Markovic and Kagawa during pre-season, but if they get a run of games, they're both serious value.
    Dzeko's in due to Negredo's injury. Giroud because Arsenal will score goals and he has no competition (for now), and Bony should be nailed on for bonus points, playing in an otherwise poor enough team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think every year, the bargains are to be had in players involved in transfers. I'm keeping an eye on Vermaelen, Lukaku, Wisdom, Lovren, Richards, Milner, Borini, Bony -- depending on where they end up, there could be some serious value there.

Wisdom has gone to WBA on loan

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bodking

Latest Draft

GK: Foster, Krul
    DF: Ferdinand ( dependant on Chaulker Price ) ,Chambers, Vlaar, Rosenoir,Pocognoli
    MF: Hazard, Mata, Erikson, Henderson, De Jong
    FW: Dzeko, Giroud, Sturridge

Hows it looking ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

8-10 wrote: »
    Wisdom has gone to WBA on loan

Are we to presume Wisdom will be a starter at 4.0 i assume Liverpool wouldn't have loaned him unless this is the case. Although WBA conceded loads of goals last season i am unsure if the manager got sacked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Are we to presume Wisdom will be a starter at 4.0 i assume Liverpool wouldn't have loaned him unless this is the case. Although WBA conceded loads of goals last season i am unsure if the manager got sacked though.

Alan Irvine a coach at Everton took over. The only other thing I know is that he was a highly rated assistant manager in football manager a few years back.

You'd imagine they'll try and tighten up a bit. Still disgusted they stayed up and Norwich got relegated. Even excluding "he who must not be named" Norwich offer more FPL wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

They appointed Alan Irvine during the summer, The most uninspiring appointment ever imo. They'll struggle big time this season.

West Brom meant to be signing Gamboa for RB. Dunno who starts there. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭bicboy6666

Remy finalised to Liverpool. that's him out of my team

Anyone considering Meresacker , Ozil or Podolski might find this interesting, Wenger didn't start Rvp or Fabregas in the opening 2 games of the 10/11 season after playing in the WC final.

Season Opener against Liverpool
    2nd game against Blackpool

Both returned for the 3rd game.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Anyone considering Meresacker , Ozil or Podolski might find this interesting, Wenger didn't start Rvp or Fabregas in the opening 2 games of the 10/11 season after playing in the WC final.

Will do a check later on to see how the amount of days between the final and the first day of the Premiership corresponds with last time.

• Advertisement

Will do a check later on to see how the amount of days between the final and the first day of the Premiership corresponds with last time.
    34 days between the final and PL Kick off this year
    35 days between the final and Arsenals first game in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Vermaelen is our only other option at CB though and he might be gone by August 16th. I think Per will start, the other two might be on the bench.

Really finding it difficult for strikers this year. Doubts over RVP, Aguero and Rooney. I think Sturridge is too dear. Remy, Giroud and Dzeko are not certain starters. Thinking of going two up front for the first time ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Really finding it difficult for strikers this year. Doubts over RVP, Aguero and Rooney. I think Sturridge is too dear. Remy, Giroud and Dzeko are not certain starters. Thinking of going two up front for the first time ever.

I've gone 3-5-2 with most of my money in midfield and 2 pricey defenders

Dzeko is my most expensive striker

I am interested in Remy he scored plenty in a poor side last year. If he plays in a central role 7.5 is a bargain.

I am interested in Remy he scored plenty in a poor side last year. If he plays in a central role 7.5 is a bargain.
    Chances are he isn't a nailed on CF starter though. Liverpool's attacking transfer policy this summer baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Chances are he isn't a nailed on CF starter though. Liverpool's attacking transfer policy this summer baffles me.

Lambert for carling cup fa cup and last 10 15 mins of league games . Remy to play wide in a front 3 and play centrally when sturridge is injured. The attacking options off the bench were so poor last year they had to sign a good few extra bodies in that department.

Lambert for carling cup fa cup and last 10 15 mins of league games . Remy to play wide in a front 3 and play centrally when sturridge is injured. The attacking options off the bench were so poor last year they had to sign a good few extra bodies in that department.
    Don't forget Sterling, Lallana, Coutinho, Markovic and Origi. Lambert will start some league games too, I've no doubt of that.

I don't think Remy comes to Anfield with too much higher a reputation than Lambert does if I'm honest.

There are too many attacking players at Liverpool around the same level and I'm pretty confident the only one who will likely start more than 30 league games is Sturridge with Sterling having an outside chance of achieving it also.

If the Origi deal goes through, he would go back to Lille on loan this season

If the Origi deal goes through, he would go back to Lille on loan this season
    Still only a slight relief on what is a pretty significant battle for 2/3 attacking places

• Advertisement

Don't forget Sterling, Lallana, Coutinho, Markovic and Origi. Lambert will start some league games too, I've no doubt of that.

I don't think Remy comes to Anfield with too much higher a reputation than Lambert does if I'm honest.

There are too many attacking players at Liverpool around the same level and I'm pretty confident the only one who will likely start more than 30 league games is Sturridge with Sterling having an outside chance of achieving it also.

I would think Remy due to his pace would be more likely to slot in rather than Lambert as Liverpool rely on quick counter attacks. I'd see Lambert as plan b which they didn't have last year. Talk that Origi will go back on loan. I agree a lot of the players are at the same level but it's essentially 7 to 8 attacking players for 4 spots which all the top 6 tend to have. Last year Liverpool realistically had 5 players for 4 attacking positions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Could be as you say. Although you have to imagine Sterling, Lallana, Markovic, Coutinho will all be pushing for starts. So it's not entirely straightforward. Sturridge i think most would agree is the best candidate for most starts, after that it's a little harder to tell. Personally(and as a Liverpool fan) i think a front 3 of Sterling Sturridge and Remy would be the best, with either Lallana/Coutinho pulling the strings in behind. Time will tell, but Remy @7.5 should he become a regular starter would be an absolute steal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Not sure if it affects many people's thoughts but big rumours that Andy Carroll is crocked again.

I would think Remy due to his pace would be more likely to slot in rather than Lambert as Liverpool rely on quick counter attacks. I'd see Lambert as plan b which they didn't have last year. Talk that Origi will go back on loan. I agree a lot of the players are at the same level but it's essentially 7 to 8 attacking players for 4 spots which all the top 6 tend to have. Last year Liverpool realistically had 5 players for 4 attacking positions

Sturridge and Sterling have plenty of pace, it's not as if Remy being pacey is going to set him above the crowd.

Lambert, Markovic, Lallana, Coutinho were all signed to offer something that Rodgers clearly wanted too.

Plus if Remy is playing the wide positions he's getting less points for his goals than an admittedly overpriced Sterling.

Sturridge and Sterling have plenty of pace, it's not as if Remy being pacey is going to set him above the crowd.

Lambert, Markovic, Lallana, Coutinho were all signed to offer something that Rodgers clearly wanted too.

Plus if Remy is playing the wide positions he's getting less points for his goals than an admittedly overpriced Sterling.

From an FF perspective the only pool attacking player I'm considering is Sturridge. From a footballing perspective I can see why pool signed as many attacking players as they have they are still numbers wise at a par or below what arsenal utd city and Chelsea have in options for 4 attacking positions. My point about pace is that if sturridge is injured I think Rodgers will prefer Remy over Lambert as the focal point of his attack due to their similar attributes. I could be totally wrong and Rodgers may decide to play with a target man but based on what he has done before it seems unlikely.

From an FF perspective the only pool attacking player I'm considering is Sturridge. From a footballing perspective I can see why pool signed as many attacking players as they have they are still numbers wise at a par or below what arsenal utd city and Chelsea have in options for 4 attacking positions. My point about pace is that if sturridge is injured I think Rodgers will prefer Remy over Lambert as the focal point of his attack due to their similar attributes. I could be totally wrong and Rodgers may decide to play with a target man but based on what he has done before it seems unlikely.
    He's the only one I'd consider too.

Rodgers may well prefer Remy to Lambert but I still don't see that getting him more than 30 starts this season.

He's the only one I'd consider too.

Rodgers may well prefer Remy to Lambert but I still don't see that getting him more than 30 starts this season.

Neither do I. I think we were having one of those confusing half football half FF discussions.

Neither do I. I think we were having one of those confusing half football half FF discussions.

I'm talking purely FF anyway, a player who I don't go to bed every Friday night confident about starting is no use to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Its not really the same team that won the league. They have lost atleast 4 maybe 5 first team players many of whom were defenders.

The same team that won the league in 2013 was the exact same team that came 7th last season minus Scholes and plus Mata.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Devia wrote: »
    The same team that won the league in 2013 was the exact same team that came 7th last season minus Scholes and plus Mata.

But that wasn't the point I was responding to. The team has only gotten weaker thus far this window, until there are more signings to replace the players who left and improve on last season there is nothing to suggest United will improve substantially to warrant three places in a FF team.

I feel the same way with Liverpool when people comment on "not having Liverpool attacking coverage", Suarez either scored or created around half of their goals last year without him being replaced I wouldn't feel Liverpool attackers are a must. Nor do I understand the love for Mannone at the moment, his home fixtures in the first half of the season are horrible, I don't see him getting into my team until after Christmas when they should have a lot of softer home games.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

4.5m midfielder- Albrighton v King both from Leicester - who to choose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I'm talking purely FF anyway, a player who I don't go to bed every Friday night confident about starting is no use to me.

Nail on the head.

I feel the same way with Liverpool when people comment on "not having Liverpool attacking coverage", Suarez either scored or created around half of their goals last year without him being replaced I wouldn't feel Liverpool attackers are a must.

One of the reasons I'm keeping an eye on Sturridge is because of when Liverpool were without Suarez for the first what, 6 games last year? Sturridge had a return of a goal a game then.

First few games don't look great (Southampton at home, City and Spurs away) but GW4 to GW10 seems like a good opportunity for some goals.

GW4 Villa at home
    GW5 West Ham away
    GW6 Everton at home
    GW7 West Brom at home
    GW8 QPR away
    GW9 Hull at home
    GW10 Newcastle away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Sigurdsson thrown a spanner in the works for me. Have Shelvey and was happy with that (rotates beautifully with Arnautovic as my two cheaper mids) but we all know Siggy's potential, should he make the starting XI from the get go (although we will have the benefit of knowing in advance, since Man U - Swansea is the early kick-off GW1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Anybody got an interest in Mauro Zarate for 6.5m? Scored today but not a single mention of him on this forum (though maybe somebody had him in a team that I missed?)

Should start up front, decent goalscorer, poor team but cheap enough.

Anyway I think he might be the best 6.5m option out there. Can see him hitting 12/13 goals + assists this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Dónal wrote: »
    One of the reasons I'm keeping an eye on Sturridge is because of when Liverpool were without Suarez for the first what, 6 games last year? Sturridge had a return of a goal a game then.

First few games don't look great (Southampton at home, City and Spurs away) but GW4 to GW10 seems like a good opportunity for some goals.

GW4 Villa at home
    GW5 West Ham away
    GW6 Everton at home
    GW7 West Brom at home
    GW8 QPR away
    GW9 Hull at home
    GW10 Newcastle away

If rvp doesn't look the part by then I'll be looking at Studge or Costa.

manual_man wrote: »
    Sigurdsson thrown a spanner in the works for me. Have Shelvey and was happy with that (rotates beautifully with Arnautovic as my two cheaper mids) but we all know Siggy's potential, should he make the starting XI from the get go (although we will have the benefit of knowing in advance, since Man U - Swansea is the early kick-off GW1)
    I currently have Arnie and Siggy and plan to either rotate or bench Austin :cool:. Gameweek locks at 1130 and lineups will be announced around 1145 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Anybody got an interest in Mauro Zarate for 6.5m? Scored today but not a single mention of him on this forum (though maybe somebody had him in a team that I missed?)

Anyway I think he might be the best 6.5m option out there. Can see him hitting 12/13 goals + assists this season

Yeah was wondering why nobody mentioned him till now! He had a spell on loan at Birmingham in 2008 and got 4 goals in 14 games but couldn't stop them getting relegated from the Prem. He was the top scorer last season in the Argentine league so he's got goals in him. He's very quick and likes to get on the ball. He's one for the watchlist definitely, don't think I'll be including him in my GW1 team though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

YEah I agree with jebforever, one for the watchlist. There's rumours that Carroll could be out for another 4 months and depending on how Valencia settles (assuming he gets the work permit), Zarate could be a nice little bargain.

I'm hoping some striker from that price range 5.5 - 6.5 hits the ground running in a Jay Rodriguez fashion, freeing up some money.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    YEah I agree with jebforever, one for the watchlist. There's rumours that Carroll could be out for another 4 months and depending on how Valencia settles (assuming he gets the work permit), Zarate could be a nice little bargain.

I'm hoping some striker from that price range 5.5 - 6.5 hits the ground running in a Jay Rodriguez fashion, freeing up some money.
    Was wondering why Valencia wasn't on the site yet!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement