Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantasy Premier League PreSeason Prep

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

If United stick to 343 then Rooney is cheap at 10.5 and a must

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

If United stick to 343 then Rooney is cheap at 10.5 and a must

And Shaw in that wingback role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Lots of interesting post-match interviews after United's friendly last night (7-0 v LA). All players spoke about this new formation that they have been working on a lot in training. Wonder if it's here to stay.

De Gea

Smalling Jones Evans
    Valencia
    Shaw-
    Fletcher Herrera

Mata

Rooney Welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Lots of interesting post-match interviews after United's friendly last night (7-0 v LA). All players spoke about this new formation that they have been working on a lot in training. Wonder if it's here to stay.

De Gea

Smalling Jones Evans
    Valencia
    Shaw-
    Fletcher Herrera

Mata

Rooney Welbeck

Will be keeping a close eye on this. Rafael for Valencia and RVP for Welbeck and that's a strong team. 3 CB's makes it easier to pick a defender also. It's a shame Shaw is 6.0 and not 5.5

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Shedite27 wrote: »

I'm hoping some striker from that price range 5.5 - 6.5 hits the ground running in a Jay Rodriguez fashion, freeing up some money.

Just to be pedantic for the sake of it, and because I'm bitter :pac: but J-Rod didn't hit the ground running last year. I had him from day one for the first 3 weeks and no goals. It took him 8 games to score, not that I hold a grudge against him or anything for it. No I actually really like him, just a shame he's not a teeny bit cheaper this year.

I seem to have quite a personal history with a lot of players in this game :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Emmer Valencia could be an option depending on the price. Him and Zarate have goals in them but West Ham are too negative. Although Jarvis could be interesting with having decent strikers to deliver the ball too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

8-10 wrote: »
    Will be keeping a close eye on this. Rafael for Valencia and RVP for Welbeck and that's a strong team. 3 CB's makes it easier to pick a defender also. It's a shame Shaw is 6.0 and not 5.5

that system should really suit rafael BUT I'm worried Valencia will be favoured or share game time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Rooney, Mata, Herrera (very good last night) and Shaw are all on my radar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Herrera (very good last night)

Did he get forward much? I've never seen him play, is he like any existing EPL players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Currently toying with:

Goalkeepers
    Krul(Newcastle) £4.5
    Mannone (Sunderland) £4.5

Defenders
    Debuchy (Arsenal) £5.5
    Lovren (assuming the Liverpool move goes through) £5.5
    Davies (Spurs) £5.0
    Vlaar (Villa) £4.5
    Pocognoli (West Brom) £4.5

Midfield
    Mata (Man Utd) £9.0
    Sánchez (Arsenal) £10.5
    Eriksen (Spurs) £8.0
    Hazard (Chelsea) £10.0
    Barton (QPR) £5.0

Forwards
    Rooney(Man Utd) £10.5 (swore I wouldn't go more than 9m for a forward but after last night's friendly win I backed down on that)
    Rivière (Newcastle) £7.0
    Wickham (Sunderland) £6.0 (Seriously undecided between Wickham, Austin & Inges AND possibly Cambell if he goes on loan from Arsenal to another Premier League team)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

touts wrote: »
    Currently toying with:

Goalkeepers
    Krul(Newcastle) £4.5
    Mannone (Sunderland) £4.5

Defenders
    Debuchy (Arsenal) £5.5
    Lovren (assuming the Liverpool move goes through) £5.5
    Davies (Spurs) £5.0
    Vlaar (Villa) £4.5
    Pocognoli (West Brom) £4.5

Midfield
    Mata (Man Utd) £9.0
    Sánchez (Arsenal) £10.5
    Eriksen (Spurs) £8.0
    Hazard (Chelsea) £10.0
    Barton (QPR) £5.0

Forwards
    Rooney(Man Utd) £10.5 (swore I wouldn't go more than 9m for a forward but after last night's friendly win I backed down on that)
    Rivière (Newcastle) £7.0
    Wickham (Sunderland) £6.0 (Seriously undecided between Wickham, Austin & Inges AND possibly Cambell if he goes on loan from Arsenal to another Premier League team)
    For some reason I don't fancy Wickham to start the season the way he finished the last.

Would be worried that alot of your defensive players (including goalkeepers) while they look like good value over the course of the season, alot of them have bad fixtures to start with over the first few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Mata must be seriously considered aswell

8-10 wrote: »
    Did he get forward much? I've never seen him play, is he like any existing EPL players?

It's hard to say he can play cm role and he can play in the hole. He assisted two of the goals and looked positive going forward. I am sure others can tell you more.

km79 wrote: »
    that system should really suit rafael BUT I'm worried Valencia will be favoured or share game time

Rafael is very good going forward and with the points for dribbling he should score well. As you pointed out i can see him rotated for the odd game and he picks up a few niggling injuries. I think for the extra .5 Shaw is a safer bet for a United defender. Jones i think could be considered if playing 3 at the back also for 5.5 he could score a few goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Anyone know the 4.0 and 4.5 def that are likely to be playing week in week out?

Also, any thoughts on the below;

95ef51.png

Obviously the 2 main problems there are El Ahmadi and Upson, but unsure what to do. Not taking anyone from Liverpool as I don't think Studge is worth 11 and there's too much uncertainty over the other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

THFC wrote: »

95ef51.png

Obviously the 2 main problems there are El Ahmadi and Upson, but unsure what to do. Not taking anyone from Liverpool as I don't think Studge is worth 11 and there's too much uncertainty over the other players.

Change Brittle Bones to Rooney to save 2 Million, Upgrade El Ahmadi to Arnie from Stoke and Play 3-5-2

Sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

THFC wrote: »

Think you're spending a premium on Costa, RVP and Sanchez when there's doubts over all three, and teammates who look better value.

Also insane that you've no attacking coverage for Man City and Liverpool, considering they both scored a huge amount of goals last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Emmer Valencia could be an option depending on the price. Him and Zarate have goals in them but West Ham are too negative. Although Jarvis could be interesting with having decent strikers to deliver the ball too.

Big Sam will be more positive this season as a lot of fan's cribbed his style of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Think you're spending a premium on Costa, RVP and Sanchez when there's doubts over all three, and teammates who look better value.

Also insane that you've no attacking coverage for Man City and Liverpool, considering they both scored a huge amount of goals last season.

Is it though?

Liverpool play: Southampton (H), City (A), Spurs (A), Villa (H), West Ham (A), Everton (H) in their first 6. Throw in Champions League, no Suarez, an influx of players in behind Studge who is 11.5

Man City play: Newcastle (A), Liverpool (H), Stoke (H), Arsenal (A), Chelsea (H), Hull (A) in their first 6. Also have champions league although not as much of a problem but question marks over Aguero and putting supreme trust in Dzeko isn't something I'd like to do. Yaya at 11 is a premium too.

So my thinking is it might be a better play to see how they start from a distance and take it from there. But that's me.

Also you say they scored big last season but I'm going to borrow a useful phrase from the Simpsons:

"You're living in the past Marge, quit living in the past" :pac:

• Advertisement

Attacking coverage is also one of the worst phrases used in FF terms. Having a Man City or Liverpool attacking player isn't anything if it isn't one of the best ones.

Would the guys team be better if he had Sterling or Navas rather than having maybe Eriksen and Hazard? Probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Van Gaal last night - I'm paraphrasing from an article I posted in the general chat thread:
    With the quality of the players we have, I can play 4-3-3 with three strikers on the bench, bit I want to play with two strikers.

Rooney becomes a lot more attractive he sticks with two strikers, though he did also mentioning changing systems if they lose games.

Watching united game now. If mata keeps his role in behind a front 2 he will be first name on my team sheet.
    Heavily involved.
    I'm hoping LVG leans toward Rafael for rwb too. Valencia got loads of the ball in attacking third with the usual outcome !
    Rafael .5 cheaper than shaw who I will prob go for if there are doubts over Rafael's place
    And then the Rooney RVP decision........

Valencia actually got an assist for hitting one of his crosses at the defenders arm instead of over the bar 😄

Van Gall moaned about having too many number 10's. He said he had five so i presume Rooney, Mata, Kagawa, Janjuaz and Fellaini he mentioned. I just don't know for the first 6 games Mata and Rooney could score high with those fixtures. It's just risky not knowing who will play where.

I never really chopped and changed according to fixtures but i am taking that approach this season.

I am going to try get three United players in for the first 6 games i am unsure if you can have 4 from the same team. De Gea, Shaw, Mata and Rooney are tempting me.

While i thought Dzeko at 8.5 was good value they have a tough start to the season. Bony for the same price could be the better option although i didn't look at their fixtures yet. This game is great but headwrecking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I never really chopped and changed according to fixtures but i am taking that approach this season.

I am going to try get three United players in for the first 6 games i am unsure if you can have 4 from the same team. De Gea, Shaw, Mata and Rooney are tempting me.

While i thought Dzeko at 8.5 was good value they have a tough start to the season. Bony for the same price could be the better option although i didn't look at their fixtures yet. This game is great but headwrecking.

Max 3 from any team is the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Andy Carroll out for 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

am i missing something,given has 5.3% to guzman 5.1. Is there any chance of him getting villas no 1 jersey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

am i missing something,given has 5.3% to guzman 5.1. Is there any chance of him getting villas no 1 jersey?

Irish people going with a one keeper strategy and a non playing reserve. Picking Given cause he's Irish and a legend. I did it last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Patrick van Aanholt is due to sign for Sunderland over the next couple of days. I was thinking he'd be a handy £4.0m option in defence, but he's not even in the game at the minute meaning he'll probably come in at £4.5m. Shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

CSF wrote: »
    Attacking coverage is also one of the worst phrases used in FF terms.

People need to realise this.

Rooney, Mata, Herrera (very good last night) and Shaw are all on my radar.

Yep, I'm really liking Van Gaal's openness. Very good for FF! Lets hope he gives us team news on Friday nights :)

Playing Rooney over RVP will free up £2m, which can be used to bump a £4m defender up to Luke Shaw. Lets hope United playing 3-4-3 doesn't leave them too open at the back. Doubling up on them for the first 2 months has become a real possibility.
    14kvvc.png

Also have to consider Mata now if he's sitting behind Rooney and RVP. If I was to choose him over Silva then I'd need to change Shaw, probably for a £6m Chelsea defender. The extra £2m from Rooney over RVP really strengthens the team.

roryc wrote: »
    People need to realise this.

Yep, I'm really liking Van Gaal's openness. Very good for FF! Lets hope he gives us team news on Friday nights :)

Playing Rooney over RVP will free up £2m, which can be used to bump a £4m defender up to Luke Shaw. Lets hope United playing 3-4-3 doesn't leave them too open at the back. Doubling up on them for the first 2 months has become a real possibility.
    14kvvc.png

Also have to consider Mata now if he's sitting behind Rooney and RVP. If I was to choose him over Silva then I'd need to change Shaw, probably for a £6m Chelsea defender. The extra £2m from Rooney over RVP really strengthens the team.
    If you can get a 4.0 million defender who will start, is Shaw likely to score more points than him over the course of the season (or even the early stages if we want to look at the short-term), than Van Persie is Rooney?

If you can get a 4.0 million defender who will start, is Shaw likely to score more points than him over the course of the season (or even the early stages if we want to look at the short-term), than Van Persie is Rooney?

It's not as simple as that though, not at all. Firstly I wouldn't play the £4m defender every week - I would with Shaw. Secondly, if RVP is still getting back to fitness Van Gaal may rest him for the first couple of games (or at least not give him 90 minutes). These two points are sufficient enough, but there is another point to consider. If Rooney plays up front I don't think there is a huge difference between him and RVP. Definitely not £2m worth.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Apologies lads. I'm way behind with preseason. As in I haven't even started :D

Who are the budget options in def/mid/for that are getting the attention?

It's not as simple as that though, not at all. Firstly I wouldn't play the £4m defender every week - I would with Shaw. Secondly, if RVP is still getting back to fitness Van Gaal may rest him for the first couple of games (or at least not give him 90 minutes). These two points are sufficient enough, but there is another point to consider. If Rooney plays up front I don't think there is a huge difference between him and RVP. Definitely not £2m worth.
    See, this is where I differ. Rooney playing up front usually isn't the same as Van Persie playing up front, especially if they're playing together. If Rooney was played in the Van Persie role, I'd be inclined to agree with you, but managers tend to try to utilise Rooney's workrate as much as they can which doesn't lend itself to being in the right position as often as Van Persie is.

See, this is where I differ. Rooney playing up front usually isn't the same as Van Persie playing up front, especially if they're playing together. If Rooney was played in the Van Persie role, I'd be inclined to agree with you, but managers tend to try to utilise Rooney's workrate as much as they can which doesn't lend itself to being in the right position as often as Van Persie is.

Yeah a lot depends on how Van Gaal plays them together. I'm willing to take the risk with Rooney though. If I'm paying £12.5m for a striker he should be the number one contender to score high. I think I read on another thread that RVP isn't even back training yet? Doesn't fill m with confidence. We'll know more by the time GW1 swings around anyway, but I'm definitely leaning more in favour of Rooney and using the extra £2m to boost my defence.

Players who played in the final have to be given a months holiday according to FIFA. Rvp played in the 3rd place play off the day before the final so I'd imagine he'd be getting 3/4 weeks off.

Yeah a lot depends on how Van Gaal plays them together. I'm willing to take the risk with Rooney though. If I'm paying £12.5m for a striker he should be the number one contender to score high. I think I read on another thread that RVP isn't even back training yet? Doesn't fill m with confidence. We'll know more by the time GW1 swings around anyway, but I'm definitely leaning more in favour of Rooney and using the extra £2m to boost my defence.
    I haven't fully decided on Van Persie yet either but I think the only way I'd be going for Rooney is if it was confirmed that Van Persie wasn't gonna be playing the first few games

I'd be leaning more towards this POV also and tryign to keep RVP in the team. It will of course depend on fitness and how he seems to be pre season, but LVG seems to be fairly transparent on these things and hopefully all will be clear after their preseason games.

If United are set up as the game the other night suggests I think it will be RVP who will be getting into the 6 yards box and scoring positions more than any other player, and the boy can still finish! Plus he'll have pens. I'm a fan of cheap defence and more expensive attack anyway, so if United had Vermalen at 5m I'd probably take that over Shaw.

Mate is harder to overlook possibly!

Could look something like this which at first glance I like very much (depending on Targett or another 4m def being feasible)...

315863.jpg

• Advertisement

FHFC wrote: »
    I'd be leaning more towards this POV also and tryign to keep RVP in the team. It will of course depend on fitness and how he seems to be pre season, but LVG seems to be fairly transparent on these things and hopefully all will be clear after their preseason games.

If United are set up as the game the other night suggests I think it will be RVP who will be getting into the 6 yards box and scoring positions more than any other player, and the boy can still finish! Plus he'll have pens. I'm a fan of cheap defence and more expensive attack anyway, so if United had Vermalen at 5m I'd probably take that over Shaw.

Mate is harder to overlook possibly!

Could look something like this which at first glance I like very much (depending on Targett or another 4m def being feasible)...

315863.jpg
    Good team, although I think Hazard at 10 is better value than Fabregas at 9.

Other concern I would have is that I think Swansea will struggle this season, leading to less chances for Bony.

Good team, although I think Hazard at 10 is better value than Fabregas at 9.

Other concern I would have is that I think Swansea will struggle this season, leading to less chances for Bony.

Bony / Dzeko. Or Soldado or whoever kicks on first few weeks. Bony not long term anyhow.

Would like Hazard but Fabregas will do well I think and compromises have to be made to get a team for 100m. If Sanchez not working out Hazard/Mata could replace Sanchez/Fab.

FHFC wrote: »
    Bony / Dzeko. Or Soldado or whoever kicks on first few weeks. Bony not long term anyhow.

Would like Hazard but Fabregas will do well I think and compromises have to be made to get a team for 100m. If Sanchez not working out Hazard/Mata could replace Sanchez/Fab.
    I think you would get a better net output from Hazard and a 7.5 million and below striker (assuming you go with a good one) than you will from Fabregas and Bony though.

But that is just me.

I think you would get a better net output from Hazard and a 7.5 million and below striker (assuming you go with a good one) than you will from Fabregas and Bony though.

But that is just me.

Good point. Worth looking at all right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

New FPL player prices: Campbell (CPL) 5.5, Tremmel (SWA) 4.5, Montero (SWA) 6.0, Bojan (STO) 5.5, Caulker (QPR) 5.0, Ideye (WBA) 6.0, Valencia (WHU) 7.0, Ulloa (LEI) 5.5

https://twitter.com/FFScout

Bojan as striker = all potential interest ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Who are the budget options in def/mid/for that are getting the attention?

Def: @4.5 Cameron, Vlaar(pending move away from Villa!), Taylor, Chambers
    @4.0 Wisdom, Targett, Duff, Upson/Wasilewski
    Some of these guys its not actually clear whether they'll start, more possible bargains than anything else at this early stage...

@4.5 in mid there's not much on offer in terms of attacking potential, AlBrighton is about the most exciting... In the 5-7M bracket there's a wealth of promising options(Siggy @6 probably being the stand out) De Jong @7 Shelvey @5.5 Arnautovic/Odemwinge both @6.5 Arfield(@5 I think) and plenty more options besides. Many will be considering 2 in this mid range to rotate, alongside 3 big hitters

Up front there's a ton in the 5-6M bracket (mainly from the 3 promoted teams - take you're pick really).Even Barnes @4.5 is in with a decent shot with Burnley with Vokes out with a long term injury. Wickham is popular with some after his close-season heroics, Fletcher is back fit more of a differential but we all know his potential, Diouf(and now Bojan) for Stoke, there's a lot of options :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Valencia of West Ham at 7.0 must be of interest to those going with 3-5-2 with Carroll injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

You're as weel off. Every second day there's someone moving club who becomes a "must-have"
    dahat wrote: »
    Valencia of West Ham at 7.0 must be of interest to those going with 3-5-2 with Carroll injured.
    I'd put him a 50/50 chance between being the next star and flop.

• Advertisement

Rooney dropping back is because of United's lack of ability in the centre of the midfield. They have nobody with any quality to get the ball forward forcing Rooney to drop deep taking him away from goal. I am watching with interest Herrera was very good going forward the other night and if United get another quality midfielder Rooney is a bargain. He was one of the top scorers last season with little or no service. If United have two good midfielders supporting Mata allowing Rooney to stay up top he will be score very heavy imo.

Advertisement