Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Fantasy "Next Reads" for Cormac

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭wonderboy76

Have you tried Joe Abercrombie? Scott Lynch? Pat Rothfuss?

On another note, I am always amazed when people rate Eddings. The Belgariad aside, he (or his wife) basically wrote the same book and characters every time. Utterly twee crap IMHO and dialogue I can't believe got past an editor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

On another note, I am always amazed when people rate Eddings. The Belgariad aside, he (or his wife) basically wrote the same book and characters every time. Utterly twee crap IMHO and dialogue I can't believe got past an editor.
    If you're 14 or 15 and somewhat new to fantasy then The Belgariad is great but when finished I recommend that readers just walk away and pick up someone new, anyone really. The Malloreon in particular is utter drivel and undoes most of the good work of The Belgariad.

I read Tad Williams when I was 14. I couldn't stand Eddings, was like eating a bag of sugar. I don't get the Eddings love, but I realise he's like the fantasy equivalent of comfort food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I'm gonna give the the Belgariad a chance. I'll report my findings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I never read the Belgariad but the Elenium was one of the first fantasy series I read and I enjoyed it.

I tried to read the Tamuli after and had to quit it alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I suspect these have been mentioned at some point in the thread.

Give David Gemmell a try. You want a farm boy turning into a hero - you have all the Druss stories.

Have you looked at any of the series by L E Modesitt?
    The Imager series
    Corean Chronicles
    Recluce

Advertisement