Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Too many chancers

Options
  • 18-06-2014 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

It seems to me that the classic car restoration business is full of chancers!
    Of course I'm the idiot for wanting to trust them in the first place and then getting rode ... numerous times!!
    I've had numerous recommendations and yet have to get a job done properly! I've lost thousands on botch jobs both mechanical and body work. Why can't these guys have some pride in their work rather than trying to shaft people all the time!!

It seems to me the only way to be involved in this is if you can do the work yourself. At least then you can take the credit or blame yourself if you mess up.

Probably not much use ranting on about this and I just want to vent my frustration.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

^^ I hear you:(

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

I've seen a lot of poor work done on old cars by amateurs and professionals (as in those who do it for a living) alike. I suppose its for many reasons, difficulty in sourcing new or even the correct replacement parts, the attitude of 'sure it'll be grand for all he'll be driving it', no NCT requirement for pre 1980, lack of knowledge about the more complex things and so on

I do all my own work as I have a decently equipped garage, and for me its part of the enjoyment too, but I also do a good few repairs for friends or other people I know on their classics, mechanical and electrical stuff only just.

I always thought it might be an idea to ask a fellow classic owner who is handy with the tools, to do a few jobs for you, that's if you can get some one with the time and willingness.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

You're not the first and won't be the last I'm afraid.

I was in your position a few years ago, now I get all my work done at a garage in the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

Very true but there are chancers on both side and this is the real nub of the problem. People want work done cheap but usually get cheap work. Its sometimes hard to get across to some people that a proper respray on a W123 Merc sized car is the guts of three grand plus. Its sometimes hard to get across to some people that a decent hourly rate for someone who cares is at least €50 ......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

There are chancers...but then there are fools who buy classic cars...as said above they want top class work but dont want to pay, then piss and moan on forums about bad workmanship....we all hear stories like this....if you want a perfect classic ,pay the big bucks and just enjoy driving it ....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I agree with the above two posts and I was guilty of being the guy who looked for the cheep job, I ended up paying good money to rectify the work. Safe to say I ended up paying more than I initially taught, learned a few lessons and have ended up with a solid car I'm pretty proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭crunchy62

Interesting to hear other views!

I've also been ripped off by so-called respected restorers who charged me big money.
    One guy charged me 3.5K and then told me my car was crap and I should sell it!! ... after I paid him!

Anyway if there's anyone decent in Kildare who works on MGs I'd like to know. Next time I won't make the same mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

crunchy62 wrote: »
    Interesting to hear other views!

I've also been ripped off by so-called respected restorers who charged me big money.
    One guy charged me 3.5K and then told me my car was crap and I should sell it!! ... after I paid him!

Anyway if there's anyone decent in Kildare who works on MGs I'd like to know. Next time I won't make the same mistake!

3.5k for what exactly ?
    If there was any welding involved I don't think that budget would go very far. However he shouldn't have told you you're car was rubbish especially after he had done the work.

I dont know how others feel..I have 99% of the tools needed for working on my cars/bikes....it confuses me sometimes the amount of money these so "expert restorers" charge for a bit of welding or whatever....:confused:..ok, i wouldnt paint a whole car (again) but small jobs i will still tackle....
    I think too many chancers are watching these programmes on TV and making up prices....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

€3.5k doesn't sound like a big budget for restoration IMHO. What's wrong with it? Is that €3.5k in one chunk, or in total over a period of time?

• Advertisement

€3.5k doesn't sound like a big budget for restoration IMHO. What's wrong with it? Is that €3.5k in one chunk, or in total over a period of time?

Counting Cars...."so whats your budget my friend..?".......
    "Well Count, i only have 35k to spend"
    .Aumm, i think we can do that if we cut a few corner s..........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

I've had so called professionals unable to fit a Cortina handbrake cable because they'd assembled the rear brakes wrong. I've had different 'trained mechanics' put in a land rover gearbox and forget to put oil in the transfer box (and leave seat belts unbolted and low in engine oil after service) I've done these jobs myself when time permits with no problems. Do it yourself if you can and be very wary of 'professionals'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Do it yourself if you can, and be very wary of 'professionals'.

That sums it up - if you want it done right, DIY !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yup, I don't get any mechanical work done, I do it myself...if it's not obvious I ask someone who knows and follow their advice. I'm strictly an unskilled amateur and Classics are usually very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Counting Cars...."so whats your budget my friend..?".......
    "Well Count, i only have 35k to spend"
    .Aumm, i think we can do that if we cut a few corner s..........:rolleyes:

Sorry, not sure what your point is...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭crunchy62

These guys are very smart too and have a great knack of getting you to pay them before you´ve had a chance to discover how they disguised their botch work. Then when you complain later they act all insulted and say you were happy with the work. They´ll even attempt to charge you again to put it right.

I agree that you either buy a minter or learn to do it yourself, otherwise you´re on a road to disaster.

Advertisement