Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antenatal classes - one day?

Options
  • 18-06-2014 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hey ladies,

I am almost 26 weeks pregnant so left it a bit late to start attending the weekly classes in Holles St. Besides, my partner cannot make them every week due to his job and I really think he should be involved in the classes too!

I called the Holles St antenatal floor a good few times and left two voice messages but nobody ever got back to me. Then I stopped trying and now suddenly time is catching up on us quickly :D Can anyone recommend a one day antenatal class that covers everything about labour, birth, pain relief, breastfeeding etc?
    I think my partner has a very innocent idea that this is 'women's business' and so I would like for him to come along too and to get a realistic idea of what both of us can expect in the delivery room.
    Somebody told me that Holles St actually do a private one day class but I can't find any info about this online.
    Any recommendations appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hi Isolt, if you Google antenatal classes you'll find a variety all over Dublin. I personally didn't want to do more than one class. One of the girls at work booked into this one, held in Bewley Leopardstown -http://www.parentprep.ie/ . What sold me was that it covers infant CPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Have no personal recommendations but have done a bit of research on classes myself. Cuidiu run courses that seem to cover everything you are looking for. The are €170 per couple if your not a member and afaik include 1 year membership

http://www.antenatalireland.ie/antenatal-course.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Trilogy

Hi Isolt,

I did the private one day course with Margaret Fanagan from Holles st.

She is absolutely fantastic and has a brillant way with presenting the info, funny and informative! I really couldn't recommend her enough! Even the hub was impressed!

The class is run once a month in the Tara towers hotel and is €180 per couple including a full carvery lunch and good breaks (tea coffee juice pastries and fruit etc)

I know she books out quickly though. There was about 26 couples at ours and all the husbands came.

I have me number if you want to pm me or else drop Nicole the antenatal Secretary an email (Njordan at nmh.ie) as I also found phoning difficult but Nicole was always super quick on email.

Good luck!

T

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Hi Isolt, I was going to go private with a one-day class (same reasons as you, really want my partner to attend) and then I found out that Coombe offer a one-day 9am-4pm class on a Saturday, completely free. I cancelled my private class that I booked (but heard the lady teaching it is meant to be fab, her name is Doreen Buckley and I think she worked in Holles St) as money is bit tight. Now, I am with the Coombe domino scheme so I'm not sure if you'd have to be with a domino scheme in Holles St to avail of such a class. But just to let you know, in case Holles St has a similar 1-day free Saturday class like the Coombe do? I know they can be awful hard to get hold of though!! I was initially with Holles St and they weren't big on answering phones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Trilogy wrote: »
    Hi Isolt,

I did the private one day course with Margaret Fanagan from Holles st.

She is absolutely fantastic and has a brillant way with presenting the info, funny and informative! I really couldn't recommend her enough! Even the hub was impressed!

The class is run once a month in the Tara towers hotel and is €180 per couple including a full carvery lunch and good breaks (tea coffee juice pastries and fruit etc)

I know she books out quickly though. There was about 26 couples at ours and all the husbands came.

I have me number if you want to pm me or else drop Nicole the antenatal Secretary an email (Njordan at nmh.ie) as I also found phoning difficult but Nicole was always super quick on email.

Good luck!

T

I did this too with Margaret - excellent!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Thanks everyone, really appreciate all the feedback!

I have booked in with Margaret Fanagan, she sounds lovely on the phone and seems to really cover everything. It's not until August, can't wait now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sarf88

Hi Isolt,

This is a lo g shot as the thread is from last year but I was wondering if by any chance you still have or know where I can get Margarets number? I did email hospital and tried calling but got no response.

Hope you and baby are doing well 😃
    X

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Hi Sarf88!
    I should still have it in my emails somewhere. Let me have a search and I will PM you!
    I highly recommend the class by the way.
    Best of luck to you ♡

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I am attending Holles St and just started looking into this today.

I think I am going to sign up to http://www.antenatalclassesdublin.ie which was the private class recommended by the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Agree completely that it is difficult to get Nicola on the phone but she does come back with the emails.
    One thing I would say about doing the classes in the hospital you are attending is that you learn about what their policy and procedures are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I did a private one day class and the hospital classes.

I would save your money and do the hospital ones if possible. I learned about the same amount, but the hospital ones made me familiar with the surroundings and the policies and procedures around labour and birth. You learn very quickly how to change a nappy and have a bath and things like breastfeeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Thanks for this lazygal! As I said I only starting looking today but I can see the merit in what you are saying. My BF is very keen for us to do them with the hospital.

Did you try gentle birthing by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

No I knew from about 34 weeks I'd be having a section on my first so I didn't do it. But I have friends who did and they found it very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Isolt wrote: »
    Hey ladies,

I am almost 26 weeks pregnant so left it a bit late to start attending the weekly classes in Holles St. Besides, my partner cannot make them every week due to his job and I really think he should be involved in the classes too!

I called the Holles St antenatal floor a good few times and left two voice messages but nobody ever got back to me. Then I stopped trying and now suddenly time is catching up on us quickly :D Can anyone recommend a one day antenatal class that covers everything about labour, birth, pain relief, breastfeeding etc?
    I think my partner has a very innocent idea that this is 'women's business' and so I would like for him to come along too and to get a realistic idea of what both of us can expect in the delivery room.
    Somebody told me that Holles St actually do a private one day class but I can't find any info about this online.
    Any recommendations appreciated :)

Isolt I did domino in holles St so I had to do the domino ante natal classes which we over 2 nights. They were free and we were all due at the same time and were further along than you!

I didn't do gentle birth because tbh I was just sooo sick for my entire pregnancy I did well even getting to my appointments. I worked with a girl who is an instructor and she has since told me all about it.....it sounds AMAZING and it is definitely something I will do next time ;) she mentioned a girl called "Tracy" who is meant to be the business. It is expensive though but I think you can claim some money back on your health insurance.

There is a free breast feeding class in holles St that you can go to....it is in the morning beside the private section.

Advertisement