Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speedo not working

• 18-06-2014 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

I had new tyres fitted today. After about 1 mile from the place I noticed my speedo was not working. Whats the likely problem lads? I have rang them and pop back in tomorrow with the bike. Really dont need this hassle:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I had new tyres fitted today. After about 1 mile from the place I noticed my speedo was not working. Whats the likely problem lads? I have rang them and pop back in tomorrow with the bike. Really dont need this hassle:mad:

Most likely your cable or sensor. Easy and cheap to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

szatan84 wrote: »
    Most likely your cable or sensor. Easy and cheap to fix.

Thanks Szatan84. Hopefully its just a simple fix. I noticed it wasnt working a mile up the road but I had to be home, otherwise I would have went straight back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

What bike are you riding?

What bike are you riding?

CB400 superfour 1994

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Thanks Szatan84. Hopefully its just a simple fix. I noticed it wasnt working a mile up the road but I had to be home, otherwise I would have went straight back.

Have a look at the front wheel and see if they replaced the cable into the hub. If they did just unscrew it and see if it is broken inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Sounds like the cable wasn't snuggly fitted and has snapped. (I'm presuming the cb400 has physical spinny round cable and not an electrical one, (like my TDM)

Roadskill wrote: »
    Have a look at the front wheel and see if they replaced the cable into the hub. If they did just unscrew it and see if it is broken inside.

The cable is connected alright. Dont notice anything broken. Its quite black with grease though.

Sounds like the cable wasn't snuggly fitted and has snapped. (I'm presuming the cb400 has physical spinny round cable and not an electrical one, (like my TDM)

yeah as far as I know its a bog standard cable, its a 20 year old bike. If the cable is snapped is it easy to establish this?

This is twice I have brought my bike to a shop and both times not satisfied with the service, ( 2 different shops ) Bad case sernario is they have to order a new cable and im a week or so without the bike. Worst case scenario is im a week or so without the bike and they try and charge me for any repair work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Replacing a cable is a DIY job. Generic cable should be easy to come by but, it may be longer than what you need. OEM may take a few week to come into stock. That was the case a few years ago with my Yammy at least.

Replacing a cable is a DIY job. Generic cable should be easy to come by but, it may be longer than what you need. OEM may take a few week to come into stock. That was the case a few years ago with my Yammy at least.

OH Christ:mad:

At least its not an expensive part http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cb_400_sf_f2n_f2r_f2s_f2t_superfour_japan/92-95/picture/speedo_cable/

Could the fact thats its covered in dark grease cause the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'd clean the grease off first if I was you and check it then. Or take the wheel off and check if the speedo drive (presumably there is one) is seated in right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

I'd clean the grease off first if I was you and check it then. Or take the wheel off and check if the speedo drive (presumably there is one) is seated in right.

Yeah I had the same problem and found out it was speedo drive that was gone! I am still baffled by the fact that speedo drive is a plastic housing, for something that is rotating at those speeds!

Quite an expensive and rare part to! This was on a Bandit!

I wont touch it myself. Im bringing it back today and fingers crossed its something simple. From a quick google it seems its easy enough to damage the speedo when removing a wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

An easy way to check if it's the cable is to unscrew it at the wheel end, pop a flat bit onto a drill or electric screwdriver, then place it in the groove at the end of the cable. Running the drill should get speedometer needle moving if the cable is intact.

Panic over and blood pressure returning to normal. It was a simple fix. Basically the cable was routed around the caliper which restricted the cable inner from spinning. He simply disconnected it and put it the way it was originally. In fairness to him the cable is too long and does look a tad loose at the side of the wheel. If I ever need to replace the cable ill go for an OEM part. Sometime little problems like this pay off because i know how to replace the cable now if it does ever break.

Thanks for all the info lads:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

For future reference, Wemoto are fantastic, if they have it in stock, you'll have it within three days, they've never let me down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Yeah I had the same problem and found out it was speedo drive that was gone! I am still baffled by the fact that speedo drive is a plastic housing, for something that is rotating at those speeds!

Quite an expensive and rare part to! This was on a Bandit!

Had the same on a Fazer..... had no speedo for 5 months :pac: No idea what speeds I was going so relying on engine sounds now, I tend towards the fast :pac:

Advertisement