Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain vs Chile - 8pm (BBC1 & RTE2)

• 18-06-2014 5:55pm
    Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭

Early team news from the Spanish camp. La Masia woes, Pique and Xaxi dropped.

BqbtLViCQAAup0A.png:large

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Looks a much more balanced side.

About time that joker Pique was dropped. Playing due to his reputation for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I wouldn't be surprised if Chile pulled one over on Spain tonight. Chile played very well in their first match. Will be definitely be seen as end of an era for Spain if they do lose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Hopefully Vidal is closer to full fitness for Chile. He had very little impact in the game v Australia.

Costa could really cause havoc against the Chilean centre backs. His aerial threat will be a huge factor.

Pity that Koke didn't get a start instead of Busquets for Spain, their midfield three could use some more energy. Xabi Alonso can handle the holding role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

What pubs would you suggest in town with tv's outside to watch the game ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Load of changes for Spain.
    Spain XI vs. Chile: Casillas; Azpilicueta, Javi Martínez, Ramos, Jordi Alba; Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Iniesta; Pedro, Silva, Diego Costa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

2 changes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

2 changes?

2 changes in personnel. Iniesta in to cm is another change he played on the wing against Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭minusthebear

how is the keeper not dropped? jaysis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Threads merged :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

how is the keeper not dropped? jaysis

Presumably because De Gea is injured and the only other option is Reina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I think it was Marca this morning that said that the World Cup final has come 3 weeks early for Spain. It's a massive moment for this group.

In terms of the team selection it was clear that Del Bosque needed to do something and he's certainly done that, though personally I'd have liked to have seen Koke in the side but very glad to see Pedro starting. It's a team that looks like it has a good shape and a bit more solidity in midfield, the concern is that Del Bosque is perhaps relinquishing some control with this more attacking lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Never thought is say that's a side that misses Valdes.

Martinez in is a plus but CB isn't his best position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Here's to a Chile Win :)

Sanchez anytime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭lazyman

Over 3.5 cards at 8 /11?
    Should be lots of tackles going in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Come on Spain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Chile to knock-out Spain and eventually go on to be crowned champions. Poetry it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

A wall has collapsed in the press room at the Maracana. Not sure what else has been damaged, but it caused Chilean fans to run out of their seats into the press area. Hopefully everyone is okay.

BqborLuIYAEzXuz.jpg

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/479326240718192640
    https://twitter.com/Reda_Eurosport/status/479325802828664832

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

c639c0a1-0d18-45a7-a371-9e3813cb40df-460x276.jpeg
    Total chaos at Maracana as dozens of Chile fans break through fences + charge into press centre. pic.twitter.com/zl9cCBJFlB
    — Martyn Ziegler (@martynziegler) June 18, 2014

Complete chaos in the Maracana press centre. Group of Chile fans running amok pic.twitter.com/2ngmjZqfWi
    — Gavin Hamilton (@WorldSoccerEd) June 18, 2014

What the **** is going on?

BqbpNs2CcAA8p-i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Unsung Hero

Storming in to find a way inside the stadium and watch the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Urrghh...Diego Costa. On this basis I hope Spain lose and find themselves on an early flight home.

Vamos Chile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmm be interesting to see what sanctions follow from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ed Malyon ‏@eaamalyon 1m
    Chilean fans without tickets forced a gate, smashed through a glass door and then ran riot through media centre. Would estimate around 50

****ing idiots. Some people will never learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Same happened at the Maracana last time with the Argies didn't it?

There was rumour last night that the stadium would be understaffed once again today. Shambolic that they've allowed it to happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Paully D wrote: »
    Ed Malyon ‏@eaamalyon 1m
    Chilean fans without tickets forced a gate, smashed through a glass door and then ran riot through media centre. Would estimate around 50

****ing idiots. Some people will never learn.

Just relieved it was this and not that I thought. I was thinking something had collapsed in the stand and that is where they all came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Morons, the lot of them.

Hope everyone is OK.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Read it was between 100-150 fans, not 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think it was Marca this morning that said that the World Cup final has come 3 weeks early for Spain. It's a massive moment for this group.

In terms of the team selection it was clear that Del Bosque needed to do something and he's certainly done that, though personally I'd have liked to have seen Koke in the side but very glad to see Pedro starting. It's a team that looks like it has a good shape and a bit more solidity in midfield, the concern is that Del Bosque is perhaps relinquishing some control with this more attacking lineup.
    Its hardly an attacking lineup when you have both Busquets and Xabi Alonso sitting deep.

I like the changes he has made but Jordi Alba is still a liability at full back. For me he should have brought in Juanfran and switched Azpilicueta to the left side of the defense.

I like that Pedro gets the start in this one but I think Villa should have gotten an opportunity to start up there too, I think he and Iniesta work really well together. David Silva is a great player but I think you need goalscorers in that team and Villa is more likely to do that.

The trick when listening to Ozzie, is to only actually try and take in what he says near the end of sentence. It helps filter out the accent and the nonsensical stuff at the beginning.

Its like the Swedish Chef, "Hurdy gurdy, hurdy gurdy.." *listen*, "..with the meatballs".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

High scoring. Wasn't convinced by Chile defence, Spain will go for it and have a weak enough defence which Chile's attack should exploit.

More than a test of technique and skill, though it will be that too, this is a test of character. Does the group of Spanish players still want it enough? Do they still have it in their legs to do it? Are they still capable of representing with pride the style of football that they have stormed the world with. There is such strong characters in this Spain group, such experience and a great winners mentality, it will be tested to the extreme by Chile's ultra aggressive pressing and lightening counter attacks. No Pique, more significantly, no Xavi, the embodiment of all that has been great about Spanish football in the last 6 years of glory, the pressure to dominate and control must now rest on the shoulders of others. Personally I believe, and if needs be, Xavi Hernandez and Koke are available from the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

The words Pique and swivel in the same sentence there.

More than a test of technique and skill, though it will be that too, this is a test of character. Does the group of Spanish players still want it enough? Do they still have it in their legs to do it? Are they still capable of representing with pride the style of football that they have stormed the world with. There is such strong characters in this Spain group, such experience and a great winners mentality, it will be tested to the extreme by Chile's ultra aggressive pressing and lightening counter attacks. No Pique, more significantly, no Xavi, the embodiment of all that has been great about Spanish football in the last 6 years of glory, the pressure to dominate and control must now rest on the shoulders of others. Personally I believe, and if needs be, Xavi Hernandez and Koke are available from the bench.

Spain are really missing out on an opportunity not having you over there giving them the pre-match and half time team talk.

Knex. wrote: »
    Spain are really missing out on an opportunity not having you over there giving them the pre-match and half time team talk.

Unfortunately my Spanish is patchy at best, nonexistent at worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Surprised that Del Bosque only made 2 changes. Like Eagle Eye I'd have brought in Juanfran for Alba and how Casillas survived is beyond me!

• Advertisement

Unfortunately my Spanish is patchy at best, nonexistent at worst.

Just shout at them, Més Que Un Nación.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Will Costa regret featuring for Spain?

Would have been the perfect foil for Neymar, how did the Brazilian federation let that happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Benimar wrote: »
    Surprised that Del Bosque only made 2 changes. Like Eagle Eye I'd have brought in Juanfran for Alba and how Casillas survived is beyond me!

Because De Gea is injured.

Mainly because Valdes is injured, who would have been the automatic replacement for Casillas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Would absolutely love Chile to win.

Feel sorry for xavi. Playing through a pain barrier now for years. Not the same player he was though. Right decision to drop him.
    I think Alonso form hasn't been great either.

Chile's pressing may be too much for them. But I think Spain will win. Chile's back line is really vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

It funny the way that Brady completely takes over when Dunphy isnt there, but when Dunphy is there he takes a complete backseat.... Dont like the way all the Irish lads have been ganging up on Ozzie as if he's the village idiot or something..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Reina isn't. Seriously, Casillas is a liability at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Benimar wrote: »

Alba played rather well last game. I'd drop azil and have juanfran there.

"I will predict that I'd be worried about Spain".

Clairvoyance has changed Brady.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Chile anthem is really really annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Turtwig wrote: »
    Alba played rather well last game. I'd drop azil and have juanfran there.
    Alba made countless errors in the last game. Some people just remember the highlight reel like when he raced back and won the ball back but he made so many mistakes that go unnoticed to a lot of people.

EPIC ANTHEM.

Love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

That was an excellent rendition!

So much better without the Music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Mon the Chile

3-1 Chile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Chile's anthem is so good without the music. Sounded completely out of time or something.

Peter Collins and Trevor Stevens..... Eh, no thanks. To BBC it is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement