Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain vs Chile - 8pm (BBC1 & RTE2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Im glad spain are gone, they were embaressing to watch useless bunch of pre maddonnas,

Prima donna.

Pre-madonna would be something that happened before the singer Madonna was born (c.1876).
    -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Out on a wimper which is both a surprise and disappointment. Dodgy keeping aside they were pretty rudderless when going behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The end of an era.

Over the past 6 years Spain certainly set a benchmark for success that I doubt we will be seeing anytime soon again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

mike65 wrote: »
    So then, too early for the "Are Spain and De Bosque Done" thread?

What'd be the point. It's an open and shut case. :)

Spain need new ideas cos they still have the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Fabregas, a fantastic player but a divisive figure at the club, has been removed. Puyol is gone. Valdes is gone. Xavi, the heartbeat of the team, is on hos way out it seems, don't be surprised if Alves goes, possibly with one of Pedro or Sanchez. Deadweight will likely be moved on too. While, by the end of the summer, 8 players are hoped to be introduced to the squad. Rakitic is in, Delofeu and Rafinha Alcantara will also be added to the first team, 5 more players to come possibly and you will likely see Adama, Munir or Samper play more first team football.

Lucho hasn't been there long but it's been decisive, much as Pep was when he arrived. That you haven't even noticed the evolution take place tells me that it's being efficiently carried out.
    Most of that was already in motion before Tata even left. Let's see the players he brings in and the style he gets them playing before talking about the evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

ceegee wrote: »
    5 players POSSIBLY coming in isnt an evolution. The spine of their team is on the way out and wont be easily replaced

8 players. With key players like Valdes (the number 1 goalkeeper throughout this period) Alves (one of Pep's first signings and undisputed first choice right back), Puyol (club captain and leader), Xavi (vice captain, leader and the hub of the team), Fabregas (highly rated, but ultimately problematic playmaker), and one of Pedro or Sanchez. If that isn't evolution, perhaps even bordering on revolution, then I don't know what is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Thought I'd be happy seeing Spain collapse like this, given how much I hate their abysmal sportsmanship, however, Chile are equally bad in that regard so I'd be happy to see Chile get schooled in the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

McGrath5 wrote: »
    The end of an era.

Over the past 6 years Spain certainly set a benchmark for success that I doubt we will be seeing anytime soon again.

Here's hoping they go back to being perennial underachievers. That sh1t was hilarious. Would be even more hilarious if it was the encore to their tika-taka bullsh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

8 players. With key players like Valdes (the number 1 goalkeeper throughout this period) Alves (one of Pep's first signings and undisputed first choice right back), Puyol (club captain and leader), Xavi (vice captain, leader and the hub of the team), Fabregas (highly rated, but ultimately problematic playmaker), and one of Pedro or Sanchez. If that isn't evolution, perhaps even bordering on revolution, then I don't know what is.

Devolution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

kevpants wrote: »
    Would be even more hilarious if it was the encore to their tika-taka bullsh1t.
    ya can't bate the long ball :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Xavi was the fulcrum behind tika taka, it's very core. When you don't have a freak like that in your team with a mind like a protractor it's ineffective in my eyes. He was the most important player in this team by far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Its neither, its just a high turnover of aging players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Its regression, not evolution.

Until their replacements prove themselves adequate then the club hasnt evolved, merely declined

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Why was Fabregas so problematic at Barcelona?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Its neither, its just a high turnover of aging players.

....the evolution of the first team at the club. Anyway I won't argue semantics because such niggling based on words is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

BqcR-XwIEAA_n9q.jpg:medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

sweet chile play lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

gandalf wrote: »
    Surprised at how bad Spain have been. The guy in work who drew them might actually win the worst team prize.

I wonder what the odds were on them being elimated first was?

Australia were eliminated first no?

....the evolution of the first team at the club. Anyway I won't argue semantics because such niggling based on words is ridiculous.

I think you should look up what words mean before you use them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

We haven't seen a title defence this weak since Manchester United 13/14.

Yeah Spain really slipped up there.

Am I doing it right?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Amazing.
    Delighted Spain and their sterile, boring, uninspired "tiki-taka" crap are going home early.

GavRedKing wrote: »

Australia scored more goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Nope, had spain won, australia could have still got through. Technically they both went out at the same time

He's just finished his junior cert, give him a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

No, if Spain had beaten Chile. Australia could have qualified if they had beaten spain in their 3rd game and Holland beat Chile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I love your assumption that it's all going to be glorious.

bravo.

8 new players, many of them replacing the spine of one of the greatest teams in history, lead by Luis Enrique who has done little of note, and you've made it sound like it'll be smooth as silk.

good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Seaneh wrote: »
    Amazing.
    Delighted Spain and their sterile, boring, uninspired "tiki-taka" crap are going home early.

Uninspired? If the technical proficiency required to carry off that style of football at the level they did to such devastating effect doesn't inspire you then i don't know what will.

I think your argument that replacing key players, which, in an effort to help you, I've already outlined, with 8 new players, included 2 from the academy and the hiring of a young coach who was a player and B team coach isn't evolution when the club is taking the tiki taka ideals of the most successful era in the club's history and beginning to build a new squad on that premise but, obviously with tweaks (such as the pursuit of a number 9) then I don't know what constitutes evolution in a football club unless you want these new Barca players to grow extra thumbs or something.

But if I ever do need assistance with my vocabulary I'll be sure to contact you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Bacchus wrote: »
    RTE panel... "Sad day" WTF! You adapt and grow or you fall by the side. Spain looked to have bought into the idea that they just had to turn up to win. They played terrible football and the better teams won. This is what the WC is about. "Sad day" pffft I'm sure the Chileans don't see it that way.

Brady was always of the opinion "if you don't like spains style of play, you're not a football fan". Made me dislike them more, nothing worse than being told you have to like something.
    Have to say, delighted they're gone. Tiki taka was a load of ****, glad it's gone.

SlickRic wrote: »
    I love your assumption that it's all going to be glorious.

bravo.

8 new players, many of them replacing the spine of one of the greatest teams in history, lead by Luis Enrique who has done little of note, and you've made it sound like it'll be smooth as silk.

good luck with that.

They said the same thing about Pep. I'm confident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

But if I ever do need assistance with my vocabulary I'll be sure to contact you.

May give him a bell then because you still don't know what evolution means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

why does Bill keep saying that it's sad to see Spain out of the WC? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Poor old Espanna!

Wish we had them in the qualifying group for the Euros :D

May give him a bell then because you still don't know what evolution means.

Obviously I'm on the edge of my rather comfortable seat wondering what evolution could mean in regards a first team squad at a professional football club so please, by all means, do relieve me of this terrible suspense and provide the definition with an example please.

I think your argument that replacing key players, which, in an effort to help you, I've already outlined, with 8 new players, included 2 from the academy and the hiring of a young coach who was a player and B team coach isn't evolution when the club is taking the tiki taka ideals of the most successful era in the club's history and beginning to build a new squad on that premise but, obviously with tweaks (such as the pursuit of a number 9) then I don't know what constitutes evolution in a football club unless you want these new Barca players to grow extra thumbs or something.

You do waffle on and on

Its quite simple

Evolution: A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form.

That doesnt happen when you gut a squad of players. You are denial if you think that is the case. Its a cyclic process that has been going on since the invention of the sport that doesn't signal nor guarantee improvement over what has gone before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This will hit Graham Hunter hard. Poor ladeen.

Uninspired? If the technical proficiency required to carry off that style of football at the level they did to such devastating effect doesn't inspire you then i don't know what will.

Bore the other team into submission with sideways and backwards passes, never risk playing the ball forward until it's a foregone conclusion, never try anything inventive, just sideways passes for 89 minutes per game.

It's boring, it's sterile and it's un-inventive and it's been found out for the ****e that it is, thank christ.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Obviously I'm on the edge of my rather comfortable seat wondering what evolution could mean in regards a first team squad at a professional football club so please, by all means, do relieve me of this terrible suspense and provide the definition with an example please.

Evolution is based on the progress and improvement on a species.

Losing the core of a team that's dominated European football for half a decade and replacing them with unproven youngsters is not evolution - it's regression, however temporary.

Don't take my word for it though, look it up in the thesaurus you evidently keep in close proximity to your electronic personal internet viewing device.

Bore the other team into submission with sideways and backwards passes, never risk playing the ball forward until it's a foregone conclusion, never try anything inventive, just sideways passes for 89 minutes per game.

It's boring, it's sterile and it's inventive and it's been found out for the ****e that it is, thank christ.

Found out?

Lol, are you seriously saying that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

The first casualty of the poor Spanish performance, Juan Carlos I of Spain has resigned as King.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

Amazing the hatred some people seem to have for Spain. And for those calling the Spanish style boring you probably are watching the wrong sport tbh given what they have achieved playing with that style. I'm not saying it's the 'right' way to play the game or any nonsense like that but surely there should be some level of admiration for this Spain team.

However as is the case with all great teams in sport their run must come to end, just a shame it had to happen in the manner which it did.

Found out?

Lol, are you seriously saying that?

In European club football for the last two years and in international football since the end of the last Euros, yup, found out, nullified and surpassed.

Tiki-taka is dead.

In European club football for the last two years and in international football since the end of the last Euros, yup, found out, nullified and surpassed.

Tiki-taka is dead.

So that whole era was merely a fluke?

Perhaps what has been found out is Xavi's importance to that style of football seeing as the demise of both era's seem to be coinciding with what is effectively his retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

What about the doping allegations that came around in 2012, weird timing

Nope, other teams have just realise that the way NOT to defend is to sit back and let them come at you.

Press high, play at a high tempo and don't give them space and they cack themselves, especially with dross like Pique and Alba in defence.

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    What about the doping allegations that came around in 2012, weird timing

Operación Puerto implicated Barcelona massively but the prosecutors and the judge decided it was "outside the scope of the trial" to investigate so the evidence is buried. Absolute farce of a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Didn't expect Spain to do to well this world cup but to be dumped out after two games, wow :eek:

Nope, other teams have just realise that the way NOT to defend is to sit back and let them come at you.

Press high, play at a high tempo and don't give them space and they cack themselves, especially with dross like Pique and Alba in defence.

High tempo and don't give them space! Genius. Why didn't some master tactician come up with that sooner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well thats the end of one of the greatest international teams in history. I loved to watch them when they were at their best.

The most important players are gone now. Xavi looks like he has reached the end of the road, Puyol has already gone and Casillas is finished too I think. Those three for me were the key components in that side.

I've no doubt though that Spain will be back and competitive in four years time. All you have to do is look at the younger players like De Gea, Javi Martinez, Azpilicueta, Jordi Alba, Busquets, Koke, Mata and Costa who have now experienced a World Cup. Then you look at the younger players who weren't even there like Moreno, Carvajal, Inigo Martinez, Bernat, Thiago Alcantara, Isco, Iturraspe, Ander Herrera, Illarramendi, Deulofeu, Muniain, Morata and Jese and there are more and you just know they are going to be strong at the next World Cup. They have almost always been strong but there was such pressure on them because they had not won it. Now there is a different type of pressure on these young men and which is to match the accomplishments of a previous team. Its a lot different and it won't be easy but they will always have the players to be seriously competitive.

You do waffle on and on

Its quite simple

Evolution: A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form.

That doesnt happen when you gut a squad of players. You are denial if you think that is the case. Its a cyclic process that has been going on since the invention of the sport that doesn't signal nor guarantee improvement over what has gone before.

Oh no, I'm intrigued and thus I will reply to your comment.

More complex or better. Not "more complex and better." If you take what is generally considered to be the beginning of tiki taka, that being the period after Spain's elimination at World Cup 2006 up to their Euro 2008 victory under Luis Aragones. The original shape started out as something resembling a 4-4-2, with Villa and Torres more often than not being the two strikers in tandem. 4-4-2 I think we can all agree has been the default formation in football in the western hemisphere for quite some time, I'd go into it a bit more but I think most of us have read "Inverting The Pyramid" so I feel no need to re-hash facts. Even if you don't agree that 4-4-2 isn't the dominate formation you can't deny that for that last 15-20 years it's been one of the pre-dominant formations in football, as such, it's very basic. Most Sunday league teams will play it, you will often see it used in the Premier League. Of course it's just a shape and movements of that shape and how the players operating in it are told to play deviate. But, at it's core, 4-4-2 is basic.

Guardiola's opening season as Barcelona coach. A student of Johan Cruyff, the embodiment of the beautiful 1992 European Champions side, he will utilise this possession based philosophy but take it on even further, developing different shapes, movements, strategies and ultimately differing playing styles for this philosophy, thus evolution. His first season he sets up in a 4-3-3, Messi, Eto'o and Henry are his regular front 3. Eto'o, a striker who plays on the shoulder, and Messi and Henry playing as inverted wingers, or inside forwards if you want to be more technical.

Guardiola's second season see's Eto'o leave and a target man, Ibrahimovic, brought in. Ultimately the ploy fails, Barcelona win the league but Ibrahimovic's contributions don't measure up to expectations. There are issues with him occupying space in a side that is becoming increasingly reliant on Messi. In any case, Guardiola has attempted to evolve the playing style, while keeping the core basic of tiki taka he has tried to find more complex solutions to, what he sees as problems for the side and he wishes to avoid stagnation and becoming predictable.

Guardiola in later seasons will dabble with 3 at the back, he will introduce Villa as an inside forward, he will introduce Sanchez as a diagonal running threat from the flank and, most famously, he will develop Messi as his false 9. All the time the side is changing, morphing and evolving. From first season to last the shape of the side, the actual implementation of the philosophy (though the core of the philosophy does not change) and many of the personnel implementing Guardiola's ideas (which, in itself will naturally bring about a change) have changed. Guardiola has continuously evolved the squad while not up-heaving personnel or core ideas each season.

Now onto Lucho. The squad isn't necessarily being gutted nor is the core philosophy changing, it is simply undergoing complex changes. The addition of a recognised centre back at the heart of the defence to partner Pique. The introduction of Rakitic and Rafinha add a much more physical element to the midfield, something Guardiola changed when he opted for Busquets over Yaya Toure at the base of the midfield and the gradual marginalizing of Seydou Keita. The pursuit of a target man to play as a number 9. All deviations, all changes, all evolution in the ultimate possession-obsessed framework.

Nobody said it would be better, obviously that can't be said one way or another as Lucho's team have yet to play a match, friendly or otherwise. However the evolution of the squad under Guardiola, Tata (for better or worse) and now Lucho is clear to see. I highlight this evolution as I believe that the changes that Lucho and the club are now making will bring Barcelona closer to what it was under Pep, rather than drifting further and further away as they were under Tata.

I hope this has helped to clarify my position and reasoning. No problem.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement