Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prevent my distributed DVD being copied

Options
  • 18-06-2014 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I have made a “master” multimedia DVD for educational purposes. Is there a way I can burn more and prevent them being copied ? A sort of DRM for private distribution.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

mrtom wrote: »
    I have made a “master” multimedia DVD for educational purposes. Is there a way I can burn more and prevent them being copied ? A sort of DRM for private distribution.

That depends.
    Do you want to run it on a standard DVD Player connected to a TV, or on a computer ?

If you restrict it to a computer, then you could encrypt the file(s) on the DVD, and provide your own software that decrypts it and reads it.

Shipping DVD's is quite old school.
    One of my sisters has access to physiotherapst educational material and has to access it via a website which plays it via a flash player which does it's best to avoid people copying the video. It worked against a couple of Firefox
    plugins I had.

So hosting your content online gives you more control.
    But if your content is that valuable, people will find a way.
    If your content isn't that valuable, then you're probably wasting your time trying to secure something of medium value.

regards,
    CD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OP, as far as I know there is no way of doing that. There is also an issue of making a safe copy by user (which is I think legal in EU) to avoid situation that their master dvd gets a scratch that's prevents them from using it. So even if you could protect your dvd you'd be most likely hitting your legit users first.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭mrtom

thanks for clear advice

Advertisement