Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exhibitors paying to enter showgrounds

Options
  • 18-06-2014 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if it's commonplace that (equestrian) exhibitors, having already paid entry fees, are also required to pay an admittance fee to enter the show grounds, as is required of spectators?

It's been a few years since I've been to an agricultural show with horses, but from what I remember exhibitors were not generally required to pay going into the show given that they had (or were about to pay, if entering on the field, such as for SJI classes) entry fees for the classes. The only show I knew that charged was Tullow Show.

I've just been reading a schedule from one particular show which is on this weekend, and it explicitly states (in large writing) that all exhibitors will be required to pay €8 admittance fee.

What's your experience of this? Is it 'normal'? Because if it is, it means that the days out are going to be much more expensive and I'm going to have to cut down on the number of classes I enter :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

convert wrote: »
    Just wondering if it's commonplace that (equestrian) exhibitors, having already paid entry fees, are also required to pay an admittance fee to enter the show grounds, as is required of spectators?

It's been a few years since I've been to an agricultural show with horses, but from what I remember exhibitors were not generally required to pay going into the show given that they had (or were about to pay, if entering on the field, such as for SJI classes) entry fees for the classes. The only show I knew that charged was Tullow Show.

I've just been reading a schedule from one particular show which is on this weekend, and it explicitly states (in large writing) that all exhibitors will be required to pay €8 admittance fee.

What's your experience of this? Is it 'normal'? Because if it is, it means that the days out are going to be much more expensive and I'm going to have to cut down on the number of classes I enter :(

Yep its bloody ridiculous a few shows I have been at once entered you still have to pay admission on the gate
    And with that you have a fella collecting for charity or the show society close to the gate which means if your aer bit soft you get caught.
    But the likes of clonmel show I think took a fee at gate as well as prepaid entry.
    I think tullamore show charge a lot in entry fees which includes your admission on gate.

The smaller shows I have been to don't charge.
    Carnew show was a nice show last yr and very helpful people also took entries on the day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It must be a more recent thing (well, last 7 years or so), so definitely will be looking more carefully and picking and choosing where I go. 10 euro per class (usually 2-3 entered), plus another 8 euro (16 for 2 people) on the gate, and possibly another 8-24 euro if I bring spectators. So that's almost 70 quid that they'd be getting from us! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

convert wrote: »
    It must be a more recent thing (well, last 7 years or so), so definitely will be looking more carefully and picking and choosing where I go. 10 euro per class (usually 2-3 entered), plus another 8 euro (16 for 2 people) on the gate, and possibly another 8-24 euro if I bring spectators. So that's almost 70 quid that they'd be getting from us! :eek:

Would it not be worth telling the organisers that due to their policy of charging that you will not be entering as many classes as planned or find another show and then tell the organisers that they've lost 70 quid, plus any support you'd have given vendors on the day.

For a number of years we have been attending a show in Wicklow, each year, I swear we're not returning as the classes always run late. One year, it was so bad that while we were due to leave at 6pm, then head away on holidays to Kerry and stay overnight that night in Cashel, we didn't get to leave the field until 9pm. So we ended up forgoing the night in Cashel (and paying for the B&B). Last year, we were 4 hours waiting for a jumping class to start. I've noticed that numbers have been dropping over the last 2-3 years and this year, we are not going. I know 3-4 other people who are not attending either.

I do think, until people start challenging organisers and voting with their feet, things are not going to change.

It's something that I plan on doing, but until I actually experience it I don't really think I'd be in a position to complain. I think I'd also contact the ISA about it, as they're the governing body, so to speak. I was also thinking we could post in a thread where we, as exhibitors having already paid entry fees to showing classes, or about to enter showjumping competitions, have been asked to fork out more in admission fees.

Dave, would that be one of the big Agricultural shows held the first weekend in August in Wicklow?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Was never charged when showing in Tullow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I think I am going to the same show as you convert. I was really annoyed to see that I have to pay in. Theres three of us in the car, bringing two horses with us and we already paid about fifty quid in entries!

What annoys me about it is people, once they are there will spend a bit of money, exhibitor or not. even if its just a cup of coffee or some chips it all should count. Charging exhibitors shouldn;t be on. I also think that for county shows charging more than a fiver advision for adults is a bit much too.

By contrast to this weekend where we will have to pay €8 each on top of €50 entries, I did a display at a county show recently where we had lovely big free parking area, free admittance to the show and were given a bottle of wine as a thank you for coming!

Was never charged when showing in Tullow.

How recent was that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Last time I had a horse in it was two years ago.Maybe I just looked poor!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I am wondering is it a trend all over and if it is its not the right move really. I remember competing in Dublin about ten years ago and getting two passes for the week as part of it. Now you get a pass for the day I think and just one so your groom and the owner has to pay in.

It puts me off entering as when you add up the cost of entry, getting just one hour to check in and get everything to your stable, parking away from stables at a high cost, getting in for the week (you dont just want to be there on the day your riding).

By contrast Balmoral is extremely inexpensive - entry included exhibitor entry (seemeed to be for the whole show not just the day), rang up to get a band for my groom and they didnt charge me for it as id already bought parking (which was right beside the stables) and my entry.

There was a show a few years ago that started charging in for spectators and it was pretty dear like €10 or €20 - could have been tullamore or one of those? I know oit definately put people for going for a day out which means the organisers get less money spent inside

Last time I had a horse in it was two years ago.Maybe I just looked poor!!!

I was last there about 5 years ago with a horse - I stopped going because it became too expensive taking in entry fees, admission for me and my 'groom'. Then there were family members and horse owner on top of that! And it's not one of the 'expensive' shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭fits

Are you talking about Gorey show? I entered it two years ago and we didnt have to pay in. Entry was enough. Field was an absolute mudbath that day.

btw, how did you get on?

It was 5 euro admission at Gorey yesterday, regardless of how much given in entry fees. Got on ok, not too bad for a first day outer at a show! :)

Heard the draught classes were busy. Would love to be out but can't very well show my mare from 3000 km away.

A lot of the classes were busy. There were 20 in the race horse class, and good numbers in the ridden hunter classes. The pony WH also looked well supported, so seemed to be quite a successful show for them.

Advertisement