Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Leaving Cert Notes.

• 18-06-2014 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Recently Study Clix sent out an email asking to purchase some leaving cert notes for a decent price. Unfortunately I couldn't jump on it quick enough.
    Are there any other markets for selling notes or has anybody any experience with doing so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Recently Study Clix sent out an email asking to purchase some leaving cert notes for a decent price. Unfortunately I couldn't jump on it quick enough.
    Are there any other markets for selling notes or has anybody any experience with doing so?

I actually emailed them with a sample copy ASAP but have not got any reply.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Dont be too quick to sell your notes, you can never be sure until the day the results come out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Remember you do not have the right to sell notes unless you made them yourself. If you got them from a teacher or grind school they are not yours to sell.

Surprised at StudyClix and not surprised at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

A syllabus guide is a good as any notes. Get one for every subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

If you are looking to sell notes (your own one's) make photocopies and sell to numerous people. I have about 60 A1 geography essays I plan doing this with.
    spurious wrote: »
    Remember you do not have the right to sell notes unless you made them yourself. If you got them from a teacher or grind school they are not yours to sell.

It could have been StudyClix or mocks.ie but one of them sent me an e-mail before one of the exams trying to flog notes to me to help with 'last minute cramming'. Classy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 typicalstudent

spurious wrote: »

I am aware of this thanks. I am, however, a bit cautious on notes that I have adapted. For example on Mocks.ie the business notes they're selling are clearly (not word for word) adapted from a highly renowned and regarded business text book that circulates many schools. The author doesn't give any mention to this book however but it is clear this is where he sourced every bit of information.
    I have done something similar but to a way lesser extent. I have drawn information from several text books as well as some notes from my teachers, combined with some internet information. Would these be in any way illegal? I have taken some sentences word for word I will admit.

thelad95 wrote: »
    If you are looking to sell notes (your own one's) make photocopies and sell to numerous people. I have about 60 A1 geography essays I plan doing this with.

Off topic, but that geography paper was class. Very happy with it.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Dont be too quick to sell your notes, you can never be sure until the day the results come out

Not notes handwritten, notes I have prepared softcopies of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I am aware of this thanks. I am, however, a bit cautious on notes that I have adapted. For example on Mocks.ie the business notes they're selling are clearly (not word for word) adapted from a highly renowned and regarded business text book that circulates many schools. The author doesn't give any mention to this book however but it is clear this is where he sourced every bit of information.
    I have done something similar but to a way lesser extent. I have drawn information from several text books as well as some notes from my teachers, combined with some internet information. Would these be in any way illegal? I have taken some sentences word for word I will admit.

I suppose if they are going to sell them on, the problem then becomes theirs. It really annoys me when companies such as those prey on student and parent fears for exams and convince people that using notes made by others is of any real use.

Would love to know too when this nonsense of getting notes made by others started. If you can make your own notes, which takes one class to be taught how to, you will always have the best notes for you, plus a useful skill for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It depends on how StudyClix markets them. If you are getting a cut for every copy sold (to keep it simple) and they are a middle man selling on your behalf, essentially acting as your publisher then you could be done for copyright infringement, and so could they.

I say this as a textbook author and if I saw notes for sale on StudyClix which were straight from my book, and my original work then I would have to consider legal action.

• Advertisement
Advertisement