Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dan Morrisseys

Options
  • 18-06-2014 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Has anyone heard anything regarding Dan Morrisseys today? I heard tonight that the receivers have been called in and the gates are locked. Not good news for Carlow if true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Been on the cards for a while. Permission to expand the quarry at Clonmelsh was denied a while ago putting the company in jeopardy

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/carlowpeople/news/closing-time-at-clonmelsh-29317872.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Was about to post a thread about this.

They've been here what, 50 years?

Sad to see them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

Might not be gone. They have until 5pm tomorrow evening to appoint an examiner. If this is successful they could continue to trade for at least 100 days. If not, the place will close. I spoke to the receiver this afternoon and either outcome is possible right now. Staff don't know whether they're coming or going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

That's awful for the employees, feel sorry for them altogether. To be honest, I don't know where the 30 houses within 500 metres are there at all. I know this has been going on for a while regarding Clonmelsh, I think they had to scale back the production a few years ago because of planning issues, but, to be honest, how can a company who supply concrete survive with no raw materials....... sad to see this, I hope they can stay going, there's so few large employers left in Carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Clonmelsh isn't their only quarry,is it? Have they one near Palatine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

They have one in Benekerry, but Clonmelsh is the main one for lime for concrete, I think Benekerry is only a stone and sand quarry. I think they have one in Wicklow also, but Clonmelsh was the kingpin I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭sparkynash

Im sure just like Stephen murphy,mr Morrissey wont be out of pocket.Carlow was once a great employer but not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

I had to ring them three times earlier in the year to get a quote and when I did receive it they were 40% more expensive than everyone else; not the way to win or maintain business.

Pure and utter greed has mr Morrissey where he is today,Bertie helped him along the way judging by the photos of them...lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

5:00pm today will tell a lot. Either they'll be open for business on Monday morning or they'll be gone for good. I'm betting they'll go into examinership and will continue to trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Cobs

I think it would be a very sad day if Morrissey's was to close.
    It would hit the local community pretty hard with the loss of over 160 jobs and the end of a third generation family business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

They have 100 days now. I cant see it closing. We get alot of stuff from them in work and they lads in the truck are always on the go

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Cobs

It's great news for Carlow that another family business is saved.
    With some luck the can things sorted and the will be going for another 80 plus years.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

who said 100 days?

What is he 27 million in debts,he dug himself a hole he mite never fill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

who said 100 days?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Examinership
    Examinership[1]:1379–1460[2]:489–608 is a process in Irish law whereby the protection of the Court is obtained to assist the survival of a company. It allows a company to restructure with the approval of the High Court.
    To obtain the appointment of an examiner it is necessary to petition the High Court and persuade the court that there is a reasonable prospect of survival of the company and the whole or part of its undertaking if an examiner is appointed.
    The examiner has a fixed period of 70 days[3]:1344 (extensible to 100 days[3]:1369) in which to prepare a scheme of arrangement, which must be approved by at least one class of creditors of the company. If it can be shown that the scheme provides for the survival of the company and the whole or part of its undertaking and that it is not unfairly prejudicial to any creditor(s) of the company the court has discretion to approve the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

i am quite aware of what it is,i was looking for a link to where it was granted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0620/625363-dan-morrissey/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Cant link on my fone. But they are open i got two loads out of there today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

They got a 2 weeks stay to allow them time to put in the application for examinership, they haven't got the 100 days yet. I'm told they are in court this Thursday. Workers were not paid last week and may not be paid this week. I worked there a few years ago myself always found it a good company. Sad to see it come to this.

Advertisement