Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what new shotgun

Options
  • 18-06-2014 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

i want to get a new shotgun in the next 2-3 weeks i have a budget of €1000.
    what i want
    -12g
    -over and under
    -single trigger with barrel select
    -multi choke
    -ejector
    -less than 3.5kg
    -28 inch barrel but would get 30 inch if i liked the gun.

what would ye recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

What do you want the gun for? -game or clay pigeon.

Less than 2.5kg is below what some would recommend as an ideal wieght for a double barrel o/u which would be 2.75 -3.2 kg or approximately 6-7 lb.
    Lighter guns can be too whipey and not follow through smootly. While recoil can become an issue with repetitive shoots.
    Any particular reason for such a light gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

For that sort of weight bracket you'll probably need to look at a smaller caliber.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

For that sort of weight bracket you'll probably need to look at a smaller caliber.

sorry ment to say less than 3.5kg
    the gun will be used for game during the season and clays and crow during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I'm not going to recommend brand or models as I belive the fit is more important than the badge, however reliability is also key, no matter what price range.
    I would recommend a sporter with 28 inch barrels as they will be in the weight range and still have enough heft for smooth swings and to take any punishment on the clay grounds.
    Stay away from the light weight Turkish field guns, they may suffice for light use during the season, but a summer of clays has been known to rattle them lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

great looking gun conchur

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

Be interested to hear how you get on with this... ATA is a Turkish make so there's always the reliability issue with them:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

2nd hand browning or breatta only job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Lotharmike

Mezamo wrote: »
    Be interested to hear how you get on with this... ATA is a Turkish make so there's always the reliability issue with them:(

Not a big shotgun fan, running a SBE2 at the present but the ATA Semi I bought from new a few years ago never missed a beat.Truly outstanding gun in my opinion.It dropped just as many crows,duck etc as the Benneli.I practically gave it away to a mate of mine starting out in shooting and its still going very strong with no issue.For the money they are a very capable gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

i have one also ATA semi never let me down.i have it 3 years now.i only stripped it down once for a full clean in the 3 years.

• Advertisement

Just picked it up tonight I'm delighted with it I can't wait till tomorrow evening so I can go at some clays

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Very nice gun i like the stock :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

Good condition second hand Beretta if it fits would be a great buy, if you look after it you could probably sell it for what you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭loonymoony

Conchurl wrote: »
    Just picked it up tonight I'm delighted with it I can't wait till tomorrow evening so I can go at some clays

Well how did it shoot? Any review for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

You really have to go to the shop and try the fitting of the guns they have on display to see which suits you best.

+1 on a good condition second hand Beretta though.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

A 2nd hand Beretta would be great,
    But if you want something new.......the brother bought a lanber sporter 30'' last year, used it all hunting season for duck, pheasant and woodcock, then used it all this summer with clays and he loves it.
    I tried it and it does feel nice to shoot, cost him €1150 I think??

FYI he probably shot 5000+ clays this summer, so he has given it a good test.
    I shoot a beretta 692 myself and the for the money the lanber isn't 2 far behind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

duckman!! wrote: »
    A 2nd hand Beretta would be great,
    But if you want something new.......the brother bought a lanber sporter 30'' last year, used it all hunting season for duck, pheasant and woodcock, then used it all this summer with clays and he loves it.
    I tried it and it does feel nice to shoot, cost him €1150 I think??

FYI he probably shot 5000+ clays this summer, so he has given it a good test.
    I shoot a beretta 692 myself and the for the money the lanber isn't 2 far behind!!

Thats huge praise for Lanber, Beretta 682 is HIGH end gun.
    €1000 should buy a you a nice gun and gives you loads of range. Gun fit is all important, what suits my body shape may not suit yours and you'll only figure out what you really like by mounting the guns. No point having a top quality brand that you miss with.

My last piece of advice is to shop around, gun price varies widely(seen the price of a Beretta SP1 vary by €200) and mark up on new guns is substantial so don't be afraid to haggle.

Advertisement