Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bourne 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Oh I'm looking forward to this one. I personally thought Ultimatum was the best of the trilogy (not even counting #4). That trailer looks promising but I fear there'll be too much Julia Styles in action woman mode which isn't very credible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like it's rigidly sticking to the formula of the Bourne movies really: Jason Bourne pursues 'the truth', only to be periodically interrupted for fisticuffs with some assassins, or a quick chat with an ally (shaking off the constant surveillance under cover of a crowd of course). All the while, serious-looking men stalk the corridors of the CIA, barking orders in front of a giant TV screen. Not that I'm complaining because it was a highly successful, entertaining formula :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 the sword

Agreed, from watching the trailer I think it’s going to be similar to the others, Bournes in hiding, something happens, he emerges at the same time, cat in mouse with another assassin, he finds the truth and exposes corruption in the government, goes back into hiding and mentally gets ready for another sequel.

Enjoyed all the Bourne films, thought the spin off one was grand also so fair to say this will be good too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

I wish they could of made a direct Jason Bourne sequel to Ultimatum but they can't do that now because Legacy has messed with the story.

I would of liked to have seen David Strathairn and Joan Allen come back for Jason Bourne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Does it not look a bit off to anybody though? too much OTT action for a bourne movie? almost like an all out action movie :confused:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

nix wrote: »
    Does it not look a bit off to anybody though? too much OTT action for a bourne movie? almost like an all out action movie :confused:

The second and third film were pretty relentless in terms of action from start to finish from what I remember. In fairness though, it's a trailer, the action is the main selling point so it's only natural they'll show nothing but in the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The second and third film were pretty relentless in terms of action from start to finish from what I remember. In fairness though, it's a trailer, the action is the main selling point so it's only natural they'll show nothing but in the trailer.

Ah i know yeah its got some explosions and OTT driving chases in past movies, i guess im mainly surprised at the truck smacking about 6 cars out of the way with ease :D

And the fact hes taking part in street fighting, seems abit out of character.. Time will tell i guess :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

nix wrote: »
    And the fact hes taking part in street fighting, seems abit out of character.. Time will tell i guess :)

I allways thought he should be hooked up with 'freedom fighters' someplace. He's hardly going to trust governments and their agencies after all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Can't wait to see Matt Damon resume his role as Bourne. He brings a damaged intensity to the role.

Would love to see Franka Potente return, Bobby-in-Dallas style. :p

Loved the relationship between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i think they had the premier of it in Sydney over the weekend, hopefully we will hear some news soon about how good it is. I have high hopes for it anyway

watched the bourne ultimatum again over the weekend, what a great film !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

the sword wrote: »
    Agreed, from watching the trailer I think it’s going to be similar to the others, Bournes in hiding, something happens, he emerges at the same time, cat in mouse with another assassin, he finds the truth and exposes corruption in the government, goes back into hiding and mentally gets ready for another sequel.

Enjoyed all the Bourne films, thought the spin off one was grand also so fair to say this will be good too!

That's the impression I got from the trailer, it made me less enthusiastic for the film. If it turns out that there's yet another layer to the onion and yet another cover for tredstone which was a cover for blackbriar, well it will begin to delve into the relm of silliness IMO.
    Personally I think the story needs to change up, hopefully Bourne will 'come in from the cold'. If it's just a retread with another layer of paranoia then i'll be dissapointed.

Some new clips from Bourne 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Anyone know when this is coming out in Ireland. It says 27/07 for the UK on Imdb.

Reviews for this film have started to come out word is that its good but not as good as the first 3 Bourne films.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Anyone know when this is coming out in Ireland. It says 27/07 for the UK on Imdb.

Tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Jason Bourne Got to see it yesterday at the press screening. It has all the things you'd expect from a Bourne/Damon/Greengrass production (the Vegas strip chase scene is very impressive for example), but none of the freshness that made the first 3 so good. There's a real "going through the motions" feel to it. The grittiness of the early movies is gone - as it appears is a lot of the up close and shaky camera style - to the movie's detriment. It's almost too polished; it looks like a sanitized version of a Bourne movie more than a Bourne movie per se. Damon's dialogue is minimal (to put it mildly), the story
    has many flaws the new back story about his Dad is a little silly and rather unnecessary
    , Vikander adds little but being pretty (and cold), Cassel looks like he did this for the cheque etc., and this is before I admit to hating Tommy Lee Jones (Just can't stand him for reasons I can't quite explain). The story is all over the place and lacks credibility (yes, I know this is fiction but give me something to believe in), and
    I'm not sure how plausible the Head of the CIA doing a Conference in Vegas is?
    and
    why didn't Cassel shoot the downed Bourne from the rooftop after the fall sequence given his expert marksmanship?
    . I'd been looking forward to this for a long time but it's my least favourite Bourne movie on a first viewing. You'll see worse action movies than this, but as the bar has been set so high previously I was left very disappointed. :( 5.5/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

That's disappointing... I've also been looking forward to this as a big fan of the series.

ButtersSuki are you saying this one is worse than Legacy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Decent Skin

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Reviews for this film have started to come out word is that its good but not as good as the first 3 Bourne films.

As long as it's better than the 4th! It's a nice change to have something to look forward to in the cinema!

ButtersSuki are you saying this one is worse than Legacy ?

Hmm. You got me there. Haven't given that much thought tbh a I tend to class "Legacy" differently to the others. Off the top of my head is say yes, it's probably worse than Legacy. At least Legacy tried some new things, and it had Ed Norton. This screams of doing it for the money, and the result is Bourne by numbers. It adds nothing to the first 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Just finished a rewatch of the first three and buzzing for this. Hopefully will see it before the weekend. Can someone tell me, do they still use Extreme Ways by Moby over the end credits. Wouldn't feel like a Bourne film without that song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Film is brilliant just seen it in the cinema. Non stop action loved every single minute of it :D

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Just finished a rewatch of the first three and buzzing for this. Hopefully will see it before the weekend. Can someone tell me, do they still use Extreme Ways by Moby over the end credits. Wouldn't feel like a Bourne film without that song.

Yes, still there.

ollie1 wrote: »
    Film is brilliant just seen it in the cinema. Non stop action loved every single minute of it :D

How does it compare with the first 3 ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Found it disapointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I've heard the action and Damon are great but the story could be better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Enjoyed it, but one car chase went on too long and the Greengrass Shakycam (tm) was worse than ever. Still a great movie though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭curiousoranje

Very underwhelming. Easily the worst of the Bourne series (including the Renner one) in my opinion.

Looks like they're trying to scrape another fim out of the series too. Very Meh.

Very underwhelming. Easily the worst of the Bourne series (including the Renner one) in my opinion.

Looks like they're trying to scrape another fim out of the series too. Very Meh.

Yeah, they left it wide open for that too. The more I think about it the more I feel they should just have left it at the first 3 (or 4 depending on your POV). This adds nothing IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 peckdunn

Wasn't a big fan of Renner one - not really him, just the movie. Really looking forward to this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I might be in a small majority but I bloody loved it, not a perfect film like the first three films but far better then a lot of the sniffy reviewers and some on here are saying. Anyone saying this is the weakest Bourne film are crazy (Renner is by far the worst) , this is a very good blockbuster, not perfect but never a boring part.

Expectation was always going to be high, and instead of getting a masterpiece we got a very good but flawed Bourne film. First of Matt Damon as Bourne is as great as usual, he was born to play this role. Tommy Lee Jones and Vincent Cassel were fine, Alicia Vikander was probably the stand out but
    I would like a change from the ambitious corrupt C.I.A agent, we had it for the last four Damon Bourne films would have been nice to have a good guy willing to help Damon but alas
    . The whole Riz Ahmed storyline felt out of place for me. The chase in Greece and last 20 minutes were great in Las Vegas and
    Cassel/Damon fight was intense
    and I loved the ending.

Not a patch on the first three Bourne films, lacked intensity and probably a plot that was as gripping. But for me I wasn't disappointed at all and it's great to have Damon back as Bourne. 4/5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

How does it compare with the first 3 ?

I know you didn't ask me but I thought I answer anyway :p, Not a game charger like the first three films but still a very good blockbuster thriller, has flaws but far better then some reviewers and fellow watchers on here have you believe.

Looper007 wrote: »
    I might be in a small majority but I bloody loved it, not a perfect film like the first three films but far better then a lot of the sniffy reviewers and some on here are saying. Anyone saying this is the weakest Bourne film are crazy (Renner is by far the worst) , this is a very good blockbuster, not perfect but never a boring part.

Expectation was always going to be high, and instead of getting a masterpiece we got a very good but flawed Bourne film. First of Matt Damon as Bourne is as great as usual, he was born to play this role. Tommy Lee Jones and Vincent Cassel were fine, Alicia Vikander was probably the stand out but
    I would like a change from the ambitious corrupt C.I.A agent, we had it for the last four Damon Bourne films would have been nice to have a good guy willing to help Damon but alas
    . The whole Riz Ahmed storyline felt out of place for me. The chase in Greece and last 20 minutes were great in Las Vegas and
    Cassel/Damon fight was intense
    and I loved the ending.

Not a patch on the first three Bourne films, lacked intensity and probably a plot that was as gripping. But for me I wasn't disappointed at all and it's great to have Damon back as Bourne. 4/5

Just because you didn't like what I/we said about it doesn't make my/our review(s) "sniffy". I backed up everything I said with reasons for my thinking. I wanted to like this so much; there genuinely hasn't been a movie I've looked forward to more in ages. I left it disappointed.

You're entitled to your opinion, as am I to mine. Maybe we just have different standards, and that's alright too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I quite enjoyed it. It's nice to see that after 9 years (!) Greengrass and Damon still works.

It is the weakest of the four Jason ones imo, but still a great spy action/thiller. The car chases were excellent, but I felt it was a little disjointed overall, suffering from too many 'climaxes'.
    That last fight was brutal (in a good way), helped by some great sound design.

3/5

As an aside, I'll never get the dislike for Legacy. I enjoyed it, but sure it'd be a boring world if we all agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Man that car chase was so long. Felt like the whole movie could have been a fair bit shorter, and been better for it. Not bad though, very enjoyable. Matt Damon holds the thing together for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I've heard the action and Damon are great but the story could be better

Saw it yesterday, thought exactly this. Story was quite poor, not a patch on the originals. Still enjoyed it though. The very last scenes were great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The cast are good the storyline is bad and the car chase went on way too long.

Alicia Vikander is a stunning looking woman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Their airbag suppliers need a speaking to. :)

Overall, it passed a couple of hours, but I kind of felt afterwards that I should have gone to the Star Trek film instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

It doesn't come close to the original trilogy and the movie felt like a small footnote in the Bourne saga but it is still a great action movie in its own right with some really tense and well executed set pieces (London, Greece).

Thankfully it doesn't come close to the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in regards to disappointment and drop of quality from the original trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

spurious wrote: »
    Their airbag suppliers need a speaking to. :)

Overall, it passed a couple of hours, but I kind of felt afterwards that I should have gone to the Star Trek film instead.

My thoughts exactly.

My problem with all the JB's after the first (not counting Renner) is that JB is just so damn unlikable. No charisma, just a dour superman who jets from city to city, telling people where to move and beating up cookie cutter bad guys.

In the first movie, Marie acted as the emotional door to Jason and we viewed him through her eyes. Then they went and killed her off at the start of Supremacy.

Now we just have dour Bourne, equally dour Julia Stiles, and serious govt. agents and a plot that continually repeats itself:
    Govt. have new black list program. JB is pulled in to expose it. Multiple city locations with Govt agents hot on his heels and in the end, some people die, but little is resolved. JB is still on the run and there's still another layer of conspiracy to be exposed.

It's definitely the weakest of Damon's Bourne films but not by much. It's still a cracking action film. The personal vendettas between Bourne and Cassel's character were unnecessary and I felt the movie could have worked just as well without that but it was really interesting to see where the character is now. Thumbs up from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Yeah, thinking more on this, I'm liking Jason Bourne (the character) more. Must re-watch the other three.

He just never gives anything away, probably more so in this movie than the other 3. He lets people do the talking and make assumptions, and he doesn't give a crap what people think his motivations are.

I mean....
    Is he a patriot, like Agent Lee said at the end? I'm not so sure. His actions seem to suggest he's purely in it for self preservation and self discovery (not in the hippie way, in the 'I'm an amnesiac' way). Even with Nicky at the beginning, there were rumblings that he might take up her liberal whistle-blowing mantle, but that was quickly quashed in Berlin.

But saying that, why all the talk about trying to get him back into the agency? Was it just bad writing, or are they setting up the next film?

Speaking of, I heard rumours of Damon and Renner co-staring in the next one, are they true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Just saw it this evening,disappointing.
    If i hadn't seen the other 3 Damon movies I would have said this one was OK.
    Thought Cassel was cool in it not sure why people had a problem with him.

Gamb!t wrote:
    Just saw it this evening,disappointing. If i hadn't seen the other 3 Damon movies I would have said this one was OK. Thought Cassel was cool in it not sure why people had a problem with him.

I really liked him in it, I just felt the personal aspect between the characters was unnecessary and felt forced. But I liked his performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Enjoyable enough way to spend a couple of hours.... a fine collection of action set pieces and decent performances but the more I think about it, it just all seems a bit meh.

The overall story arc/narrative hasn't moved on at all imho....once Bourne found out his real identify in the 3rd (?) movie there wasn't really anything else interesting about him.

Similar to Mission Impossible, this series seems to be trundling along without doing anything new. Jason Bourne and Ethan Hunt are still out there fighting and looking for something and blow up lots of stuff...maybe they should team up in an Avengers Assemble style reboot ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gotta say I absolutely loved it. Just non stop action in multiple cities. Sure it's probably not as intelligent or slick as the others but it was damn good seen jason bourne back.

On another note it must of been the easiest movie for Damon to film, all fight scenes so he had a double and you could fit his dialogue on an a4 sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Man I was sure this was gonna be a certifed banker, like a film you know for 100% certainty that it would be great. But after 20 minutes i found myself drifting off, not really engaging with the plot. And it didnt get better. By the end i felt a bit embarrassed for everyone involved. Its not a terrible movie but bloody hell its not even in the same universe as the other films. I thought the one with jeremy renner was a lot better than this. Afterwards i was trying to figure out why it was so limp and then reading a review it was mentioned that Tony Gilroy didnt write it or even have any involvement. And thats it right there, Gilroy's stories are tight and totally engaging, and this was none of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Very underwhelmed with this, it almost seems to be a parody of the earlier movies rather than something original.

Shaky camera with breakneck editing during action scenes - check
    'Serious' music with loads of frowns by the characters - check
    Token European locations to make it more ' Bourne like' - check

In fact the plot was a virtual copy of the last Damon 'Bourne' movie.

I wanted to like this movie, but very disappointed that's the best they could come up with. 2/5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

tunguska wrote: »
    Man I was sure this was gonna be a certifed banker, like a film you know for 100% certainty that it would be great. But after 20 minutes i found myself drifting off, not really engaging with the plot. And it didnt get better. By the end i felt a bit embarrassed for everyone involved. Its not a terrible movie but bloody hell its not even in the same universe as the other films. I thought the one with jeremy renner was a lot better than this. Afterwards i was trying to figure out why it was so limp and then reading a review it was mentioned that Tony Gilroy didnt write it or even have any involvement. And thats it right there, Gilroy's stories are tight and totally engaging, and this was none of those things.
    Agreed.
    How come he wasn't involved int his one ?

Saw it last night and it really is the return that few people asked for. Picking up a few years after the pitch perfect ending to the Bourne Ultimatum with Bourne working as a bare knuckle fighter in the arse end of nowhere though how he makes money is a little muddled given that no one seems to be betting on him, nor does Bourne appear to be getting any money. With the return of his old handler, Bourne finds himself once again thrust into the world of international espionage, a sub 1984 government and two of the most thrilling car chases in a long time.

Damon is great and the action is excellent but the whole thing feels like a film going through the motions. The plot is so old hat at this stage that it feels like a best of the Bourne. There's a couple of new characters but they feel like imitations of past characters and bring little new to proceedings. While a step above the Jeremy Renner film, of which I didn't make it past the opening 15 minutes, Jason Bourne is still a long way from the giddy heights of the original three films. It's kind of like when that band you loved 30 years ago get back together to boost the retirement fund, sure it looks and sounds similar and it's not at all bad, but it's just going through the motions to deliver an experience that just doesn't have the same impact given that so much of the film is made up of shots of PEOPLE WALKING DETERMINEDLY ACROSS THE FRAME.

• Advertisement
Advertisement