Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dundalk

Options
  • 19-06-2014 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey Guys,

So I have just got a job in Dundalk. Starting in August and ill be commuting from Dublin for a couple of months.

House prices seem cheap enough (well compared to Dublin anyway). I'm considering buying somewhere but want somewhere nice.

So I reckon this will be an ongoing Q and A and with the 400 additional PayPal Jobs I'm sure others will have similer questions.

Ive looked for similer threads but they all seem old and dated.

So to begin is Saltown nice?

Cheers

StandTwo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can't speak for the area or the people but the house's aren't the best built I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

There's nicer than saltown tbh. What kinda of place are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

I'd stay out of saltown too. What are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 standtwo

Thanks for the replays guys.

1 or 2 bedrooms. Sub 100k if possible.

The studenty areas I think the place was called hoeys lane seemed cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

standtwo wrote: »
    Thanks for the replays guys.

1 or 2 bedrooms. Sub 100k if possible.

The studenty areas I think the place was called hoeys lane seemed cheap.

Whatever you do dont move into the "college estates" on Hoeys Lane. From Sept to May, you will have at least 2/3 sleepless nights a week

Rubbish everywhere, bins stolen, street partys etc....

• Advertisement

What about these:

*daft.ie/sales/14-ard-na-si-lis-na-dara-dundalk-louth/927616/*

Garage would be nice

*myhome.ie/residential/brochure/145-glenwood-dublin-road/2720922*

*daft.ie/sales/17-farndreg-dundalk-louth/935325/*

*myhome.ie/residential/brochure/3-ashdale-bayestate-dundalk-louth/2724562*

*daft.ie/sales/42-lenonstown-manor-red-barns-road-dundalk-louth/960986/*

Lis Na Dara, Glenwood and Lenonstown are certainly nice areas with decent houses.

Thanks for the help so far guys

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

Lis na Dara would be a much newer estate in a nicer area than glenwood IMO.
    Glenwood is probably about 40 years old now? Parts of it are nice and it is cheaper than lis na Dara but I know which one id prefer.

The red barns road is a nice area and tom bellew avenue, nice estates on both but all depends on what you're looking for really and how much you want to spend. If you're willing to do a bit if work on them I know a few going cheap!

Depending on where your Job is, Lis Na Dara is up past Oriel Park on the Carrick Road while Glenwood is on the Dublin Road close to the hospital and college

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Lis Na Dara is great.Well managed estate and a very nice place to live in.
    2 x beds @ €100k or under €100k ?? Doubtful.:(
    You name them and we'll try here to shame or fame them :D
    Saltown ^^ as above.
    Estates on the Red Barns Road are cheap and decent and close to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gandr

salttown/hoeys lane,stay well away.
    bay estate,redbarns rd,glenwood,are all nice areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Glenwood still is a bit of a student area and houses old.

Saltown isn't nice. Plus as of a couple of days ago there is a traveler halting site beside it.

The area around the Avenue Rd is nice. Belfry, Cluan Enda, Oaklawns, Greenacres all nice and easy access to inner relief Rd for a short drive up to the likes of PayPal.

Also Lenonstown Manor you mentioned is nice. All those areas down the Red Barns Rd are nice enough.

Thanks for the tips guys. Id say I'll get a more insights from the local lads once I start aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Don't buy in a student area. The estates get constantly wrecked throughout the year, especially at rag week. Have a look at College Heights anytime from Sept-May to get an idea of what could happen.

Rag week is the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 M.A.G

Glenwood still is a bit of a student area and houses old.

Saltown isn't nice. Plus as of a couple of days ago there is a traveler halting site beside it.

The area around the Avenue Rd is nice. Belfry, Cluan Enda, Oaklawns, Greenacres all nice and easy access to inner relief Rd for a short drive up to the likes of PayPal.

Also Lenonstown Manor you mentioned is nice. All those areas down the Red Barns Rd are nice enough.

Wherabouts is the halting site? I'm round that way a lot and i haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭nilsonmickey

Lis Na Dara, Glenwood and Lenonstown are certainly nice areas with decent houses.

Glenwood and Lennonstown are not nice areas. Glenwood isfull of students so plenty of sleepless nights. Lennonstown houses are very poor quality and over run with immigrants.

Glenwood and Lennonstown are not nice areas. Glenwood isfull of students so plenty of sleepless nights. Lennonstown houses are very poor quality and over run with immigrants.

WOW

These must be in a different Dundalk than I have spent all my life in. ;)

Both are well built and contain good families with a great community spirit. The 3 families I know in Lennonstown have only emigrated from other parts of Dundalk. That was some sweeping and unfounded statement you made!

These must be in a different Dundalk than I have spent all my life in. ;)

Both are well built and contain good families with a great community spirit. The 3 families I know in Lennonstown have only emigrated from other parts of Dundalk. That was some sweeping and unfounded statement you made!

Nonsense. I rented a house across the road in Manydown some years ago.

• Advertisement

Nonsense. I rented a house across the road in Manydown some years ago.

Still does not condone your blatant racist comment.

It was not my intention to sound racist. I'm merely point out the fact that there is a lot of non-nationalists residing at this estate. We all know the social problems this brings.

It was not my intention to sound racist. I'm merely point out the fact that there is a lot of non-nationalists residing at this estate. We all know the social problems this brings.

Not your intention? Yet there you go again.

The OP may well not be Irish, by the way.

What social problems does this bring that "Irish" people do not bring to estates?

If you go out in Dundalk on a Fri, Sat night...The "non-nationals" as you call them are not the ones causing trouble or fighting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I can think of far more 'non-nationals' I'd choose to live beside than Irish.

If you've an example you're passing your opinion on then reference it, otherwise don't go around throwing sweeping statements like that.

Yes I have multiple examples actually. My one recent one having lived next door to a polish family.

Drunk driving early morning despite kids playing on the street.
    Male hitting and shouting at wife/partner.
    Garden overrun with rubbish. Health Hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yes I have multiple examples actually. My one recent one having lived next door to a polish family.

Drunk driving early morning despite kids playing on the street.
    Male hitting and shouting at wife/partner.
    Garden overrun with rubbish. Health Hazard.

Hmnn interesting. I live down the road in Balbriggan, a town famous for its multiculturalism. Looking out my window, my neighbour beside me is Polish.... quietest people you could hear. Next door to them are a Slovak and Polish family.... a model family by all accounts. Across the road is an African family. He goes to work each day in a suit, his car/garden/home are spotless and you never hear a peep from them. Directly across the road from me is a Polish architect and builder, again no issues of any kind.

No issues with immigrants in a hugely multicultural estate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Im moving to dundalk in two weeks for a job in paypal and wondering what would be the best area's to rent in looking at riverside drive racecourse road or rockfield manor. I notice rockfield as been label a student area appears earlier here

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

scheister wrote: »
    Im moving to dundalk in two weeks for a job in paypal and wondering what would be the best area's to rent in looking at riverside drive racecourse road or rockfield manor. I notice rockfield as been label a student area appears earlier here

Rockfield is beside the college and many houses are let out to students. Can be very noisy at night.
    Riverside Drive and Racecourse Road are fairly quiet areas but a lot further away from Pay-pal. No bother if you are driving or even cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Rockfield is beside the college and many houses are let out to students. Can be very noisy at night.
    Riverside Drive and Racecourse Road are fairly quiet areas but a lot further away from Pay-pal. No bother if you are driving or even cycling.

yea the plan would be to drive or cycle so i dont mind if its 10/15km away sort of thing. My main issue would be not ending up in the student area's. Any other place you can think of that might suit?

Advertisement