Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suncream

Options
  • 19-06-2014 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi

With the latest heatwave I've been trying to find suncream for our white cat but can't get it in a a pet shop nor a vets. I've been told that you can't get suncream for pets in Ireland. Does anyone know why? Does this mean that I have to put human suncream on my cat and risk him getting sick from licking the chemicals?

The best I can come up with is baby suncream but even that has lots of chemicals which the chemist can't confirm is safe to consume.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I had this issue, and after asking several sources I was told to use any factor fifty that was suitable for babies. I picked up a bottle of the boots own brand, think it's called soltan.
    There wasn't much fear of her licking it off, it's only a tiny amount to be put on to cover the ears and nose! Anyway, I used it for two summers with no adverse effects. The worst was trying to get it on the cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I haven't seen it myself, but my neighbour mentioned to me the other day that MaxiZoo have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Kid's suncreen or kid's sunblock factor 50 is fine to use. I got it in Boots too. The suncreen is easier to apply than the sunblock. Someone mentioned here recently to check that the ingredient list doesn't include PABA - para-aminobenzoic acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭yaya*

I asked today in my local pet shop and I was told to use children's sensitive suncream? When I asked about her licking it off, she said kids can lick it off too so it has to be safe?!

Anybody have any info to contradict this before I go out and buy some!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Vets said to me that any kids waterproof suncream should be safe. Personally we use LaRoche Posay 50+ because there is no smell, and it's the smell that bothers my guy. It's pricey but for the amount we use it's worth it, we've had one bottle for well over a year now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

nekuchi wrote: »
    The best I can come up with is baby suncream but even that has lots of chemicals which the chemist can't confirm is safe to consume.

This is what I use with my cat that has a white fur and a beginning of dermatitis from sun exposure at the tips of her ears.
    My vet told me that any suncream will do, I went to a pharmacy and asked them for a total protection cream, I explained them that it was for an animal and they gave me a suncream for babies, very little babies. The lady at the counter told me that it's the same that she gives to her dog.
    The fact that it's for babies should be a very good guarantee that it's harmless when licked or when it accidentally comes in contact with mouth and eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I've been using Nivea Kids Pure & Sensitive 50+ on my lot since last week with no adverse effects so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nekuchi

I explained them that it was for an animal and they gave me a suncream for babies, very little babies.

I ended up going for a baby cream. Fingers crossed it does the trick. Thanks to all who replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

nekuchi wrote: »
    I ended up going for a baby cream. Fingers crossed it does the trick. Thanks to all who replied.

This is what I'm using at the moment

http://www.mustela.com/en/content/Very-High-Protection-Sun-Lotion

It's very thick and sticky, doesn't come off easily, that is good. So far it did a great job on my cat's ears, they're not great, but we started from a worse situation.
    The edges are still intact, the fur has grown a bit more, only some minor sign of dermatitis, as you can see from this picture taken two weeks ago. In the background there's a mosquito net :)

Advertisement