Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quinn Family Sues Irish State for €4.5bn

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

folan wrote: »
    are the quinns trying to sue the state because anglo are guilty of fraud?

can i sue the government because starbucks gave me cold coffee?
    You probably can, yes. Whether you'd win or not is another story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

folan wrote: »
    are the quinns trying to sue the state because anglo are guilty of fraud?
    In a way it's genius, because the government will hand over 4.5bn to Quinn just to make sure not one of their cronies ever get convicted of anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Can all those who have had to pay that 2% levy on their insurance policies since Quinn Insurance went belly up sue the Quinns? Its cost 126 million so far and could run to 1.64 billion over 25 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    In a way it's genius, because the government will hand over 4.5bn to Quinn just to make sure not one of their cronies ever get convicted of anything.

Yep, that's what I'm afraid of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Dan_Solo wrote: »

no one in government will ask questions. no one in the courts will ever get their hands on it. the nation will sit by and say nothing. there has never been any fallout from this type of thing ever.

4.5bn from where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I did have some sympathy for the Quinns at the start, but this one showes them up as utterly arrogent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I thought he said he was going to pay all he owed back..

How can the Quinns afford all these court cases if they have no money ?

What is going on ?

InReality wrote: »
    I thought he said he was going to pay all he owed back..

How can the Quinns afford all these court cases if they have no money ?

What is going on ?

how else can he pay it back if he doesnt get it from the state!

hes using the ole noggin there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Despite him being a scumbag chancer I'm glad someone is finally having a go at the central bank for its gross incompetence and/or corruption.

Must agree to an extent, though it's kind of a case where I hope both parties lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

Collie D wrote: »
    So if the loan was illegal surely both parties are at fault. As I said in my earlier post I'm sure I'm missing something so forgive my ignorance but wouldn't that be akin to a passenger in a stolen car suing the driver for whiplash?

More like sueing the council because the traffic light was broken as you sped past at 200 mph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

Dartz wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he the recipient of an illegal loan?

Didn't the bank loan him money, to invest back in the bank itself?

The illegality would seem to be uncertain based on the defence preferred in the recent Anglo trial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

From some of the posts in this thread, you'd think case was already decided and the court had found in favour of Quinn for the full amount.

porsche959 wrote: »
    From some of the posts in this thread, you'd think case was already decided and the court had found in favour of Quinn for the full amount.

boards.ie posters in hyperbole shocker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think this case could be interesting though. Up until now it's been the state pointing fingers and diverting the attention onto all their former allies. Now the people they burned are making their counter move and I expect the dirty secrets to come out in this round.

to be honest I can't take any more. Every trial or inquiry shows more corruption and horror stories. Yet no real punishments or changes occur.
    Like the guards, my morale is at an all time low :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

EyeSight wrote: »
    to be honest I can't take any more. Every trial or inquiry shows more corruption and horror stories. Yet no real punishments or changes occur.
    Like the guards, my morale is at an all time low :p

Unlike the barristers who must be raking it in every time some dodgy developer/banker sues another one when neither allegedly have any money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

The gall of the Quinns is something to be marvelled at. If I said what I really wanted to say then I would be at the very least be carded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Sure we don't have 4.6 billion

We left it in our other pants :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

He'll go down in history as the greediest man who ever lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think this case could be interesting though. Up until now it's been the state pointing fingers and diverting the attention onto all their former allies. Now the people they burned are making their counter move and I expect the dirty secrets to come out in this round.

Interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Usually I'm not one for foreigner bashing but would that pr*ck ever p*ss off back to his own country and leave us alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Sure we can go one more austerity budget for poor aul hard done by Sean can't we.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Can all those who have had to pay that 2% levy on their insurance policies since Quinn Insurance went belly up sue the Quinns? Its cost 126 million so far and could run to 1.64 billion over 25 years.

Re Quinn Insurance vs government owned vhi, spot the difference!

http://www.centralbank.ie/press-area/press-releases/Pages/SettlementAgreementbetweentheCentralBankofIrelandandQuinnInsuranceLimited(UnderAdministration).aspx

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/health/eu-court-rules-vhi-must-beef-up-its-reserves-by-300m-169139.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It would be no great loss if they had a series of unfortunate deadly accidents occur. scum by any other name.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

FTA69 wrote: »
    "because he's one of our own".
    sponger like them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

could the baldy one take the advice he gave on a vid clip, and zip the goverments pockets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

this will run for quite a while, the legal profession has to keep taking and taking, well their history says so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Sure we can have a whip round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

cloud493 wrote: »
    Sure we can have a whip round.

Nah, that only works for Bertie. What the **** would a family let alone one man do with €4.6 billion?

Make a fortress of money to sit in and laugh at the poor people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Nah, that only works for Bertie. What the **** would a family let alone one man do with €4.6 billion?

Invest it. Clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Invest it. Clearly.

That worked out so well the last time, lock these ****ers up, him his parasite kids and that nephew of his too, this is the real world not a game of monopoly or ducktales. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

That worked out so well the last time, lock these ****ers up, him his parasite kids and that nephew of his too, this is the real world not a game of monopoly or ducktales. :pac:
    Lock them up for what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    The state is primarily at fault for the whole fiasco.
    Regulator should be held to account,Thats not to say Quinn has clean hands in this situation.

The state is the people of Ireland - those responsible for the disaster are the last government , the Bertie & Brian Cowen lot - sadly now Fianna Fail are the largest party once again in ireland - absolutely blame the previous regulator , who conveniently saw nothing . Quinn and his family have far from clean hands in this whole farce - In the Ireland of today , its like the criminal are the innocent , and the wronged the guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

One in which no one makes billions? Which world is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aboysham

Brian Lenihan fired Neary (to hide the bodies), hired Elderfield (friend of international bankers) who then shut down Quinn insurance.

Lenihan should be dug up and hung on the bars of the Dail (pour encourage les autre).

Neary should be questioned then drowned.

Elderfield should face the court to explain why Quinn insurance were the only under provisioned Irish insurance company worthy of being terminated post haste.

People should be delighted that this court case is happening given that the terms of reference in the "banking inquiry" are going to be too restrictive.

There are many that should hang before Quinn.

aboysham wrote: »

There are many that should hang before Quinn.

Is Quinn not the Irish state biggest Debtor ?

I respected him somewhat early on , but the way he and his family have tried to hide money owed to us the beleaguered/bankrupt Irish state , I find nauseating - followed by a campaign bordering on terror - to put it mildly my opinion on this supposed decent man has changed.

thebaz wrote: »
    Is Quinn not the Irish state biggest Debtor ?

I respected him somewhat early on , but the way he and his family have tried to hide money owed to us the beleaguered/bankrupt Irish state , I find nauseating - followed by a campaign bordering on terror - to put it mildly my opinion on this supposed decent man has changed.

Quinn became the biggest debtor only because the insurance company was terminated by a proxy arm of the Government, let's look forward to the court case.

Why did Quinn prop up Anglo? At whose behest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Small potatoes compared to this sort of stuff :
    Amancia Ortega

Net Worth $65.6 Billion

*(change today) $1.1 Billion

*Reflects changes since 5pm EST last trading day

http://www.forbes.com/profile/amancio-ortega/

Quinn became the biggest debtor only because the insurance company was terminated by a proxy arm of the Government,

I'm no expert on the matter , but if I recollect Quinn insurance ran out of money , which would have meant its customers , many including me, would have not been covered by ther premium. The government I don't think had any choice but to terminate Quinn insurance as it was..

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    I'm no expert on the matter , but if I recollect Quinn insurance ran out of money , which would have meant its customers , many including me, would have not been covered by ther premium. The government I don't think had any choice but to terminate Quinn insurance as it was..

In a normal world you would be correct, except you were covered, from an insurance point of view, as is everyone since the PMPA debacle.

The question you should ask is why Quinn Insurance was treated as an exception.

In a normal world you would be correct, except you were covered, from an insurance point of view, as is everyone since the PMPA debacle.

I wish I lived in a normal world - but i live in the banana Republic of Ireland :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

What if this is just one big ploy to take 4.5 billion off the government and give it to the people through investments through infrastructure and the likes?

Robin Hood Quinn, the king of ireland and so on...

Highly doubt it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

What if this is just one big ploy to take 4.5 billion off the government and give it to the people through investments through infrastructure and the likes?

Robin Hood Quinn, the king of ireland and so on...

Highly doubt it though

Not sure if trolling or just .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AYIcTVizM4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Quinn became the biggest debtor only because the insurance company was terminated by a proxy arm of the Government, let's look forward to the court case.

Why did Quinn prop up Anglo? At whose behest?

Pray Tell PM please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

People complaing about the Quinns for sueing regarding a bad investment but in the same breath suppprt mortgage defaulter. What is the maximum I can earn and still have AH support.

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »
    People complaing about the Quinns for sueing regarding a bad investment but in the same breath suppprt mortgage defaulter. What is the maximum I can earn and still have AH support.

About tree fiddy.

Advertisement