Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foal killed in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭galwaygirl08

We are at the stage now where a meeting needs to be arranged ASAP with all parties involved. I dont see any other way it will be resolved. It is just going to keep going back and forth.

Despite this cruelty being reported every single day, the community Garda has stated that they need to see this happening first hand. If they call out and the horse appears to be in good condition (despite being kept on council land during the day and in a small back garden overnight), then there is no more they can do ???
    Their advice is to get a number of residents together and make an official statement. This of course means that your name will then be known.

The outcome will more than likely involve these guys getting a slap on the wrist, the animal seized eventually after weeks of cruelty, and then the residents live in fear of a backlash.

Discodog wrote: »
    This is what I would do.

Go, in person, to Mill Street Garda station preferably with several witnesses.

State that you wish to report a crime & make a written statement. Bare in mind that the key factors are the causing of "unnecessary suffering" as per the law.

If you encounter any reluctance then ask to speak to a superior officer. Point out that you expect immediate action & you will be monitoring & following up.

Make it clear that you will make a formal complaint to the Garda Ombudsman if the matter is not investigated.

There is an excellent guide here

http://www.ispca.ie/assets/legal.pdf

Excellent guide @discodog. Cheers for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Make it clear that you will make a formal complaint to the Garda Ombudsman if the matter is not investigated.

There is an excellent guide here

http://www.ispca.ie/assets/legal.pdf
    But isn't bringing a complaint to the ombudsman the same as a cop looking in a mirror and saying "I reckon I'll let myself off"?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    But isn't bringing a complaint to the ombudsman the same as a cop looking in a mirror and saying "I reckon I'll let myself off"?

I don't think so. No Superintendent is going to want that on his record.

@galwaygirl The idea that a Garda has to witness the crime is rubbish. The vast majority of crimes aren't caught in the act. I would phone the Superintendent at Mill Street & register a formal complaint. Make it clear that you will refer the matter to the Minister.

Provided that you & others are willing to provide witness statements the Guards can prosecute. Other evidence can include video etc.

By being politely persistent with the Guards you will force them to hold the appropriate meetings.

Also that pdf probably doesn't include the new Animal Welfare Act which provides far greater protection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

540 signatures on the petition. Can someone link it to this facebook page if it hasnt already been done.

https://www.facebook.com/vanah.horses/photos/a.172431009475921.48044.170577236327965/754263904625959/?type=1

(not on facebook myself)

• Advertisement

I don't think so. No Superintendent is going to want that on his record.
    Really? What difference would that make to their record?
    It's the elephant in the room really. The laws are there, but the Gardaí are either too lazy or too inept to do their job.

We are at the stage now where a meeting needs to be arranged ASAP with all parties involved. I dont see any other way it will be resolved. It is just going to keep going back and forth.

Despite this cruelty being reported every single day, the community Garda has stated that they need to see this happening first hand. If they call out and the horse appears to be in good condition (despite being kept on council land during the day and in a small back garden overnight), then there is no more they can do ???
    Their advice is to get a number of residents together and make an official statement. This of course means that your name will then be known.

The outcome will more than likely involve these guys getting a slap on the wrist, the animal seized eventually after weeks of cruelty, and then the residents live in fear of a backlash.

What you need is a lot of people in the neighborhood to come together and demand action. One person will be ignored. I am talking lots of people, not just 100.

And you all put pressure on the Councillors and so on. They will have to listen then. I would be talking about the whole ballybane area, merlin, places like renmore, mervue and ballybrit as well.

If you all join together and put serious pressure on the council, they will have to listen. Set up a facebook page and keep the petition going and maybe progress to leaflets or emails. you could also write a letter to the editor of the papers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hey GalwayGirl, did you make a complaint directly to the Gardai per DiscoDog's earlier post? Wanted to know how it was received if you did.

Hey GalwayGirl, did you make a complaint directly to the Gardai per DiscoDog's earlier post? Wanted to know how it was received if you did.

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Roquentin wrote: »
    What you need is a lot of people in the neighborhood to come together and demand action. One person will be ignored. I am talking lots of people, not just 100.

You might try and get the Friends of Merlin Woods group interested. Presumably they're not happy about horses roam around in/near the woodlands, making people feel unsafe to walk there. And they have experience in getting action from the council.

PS I don't see the guards as necessarily indept or lazy. It's more that they have an eye to the likely consequences if the law is enforced: if the pigeons are scattered, the have to go somewhere else. Also, they may have a better understanding than some about what actions the courts are and are not likely to see as cruelty.

• Advertisement

PS I don't see the guards as necessarily indept or lazy. It's more that they have an eye to the likely consequences if the law is enforced: if the pigeons are scattered, the have to go somewhere else. Also, they may have a better understanding than some about what actions the courts are and are not likely to see as cruelty.

I very much doubt the latter. Very few Guards will of ever prosecuted a cruelty case.

As for whether the Courts see it as cruelty I have never seen a case lost when a Vet gives evidence.

I don't think that the Guards are lazy or inept. I think that they simply don't care.

I don't think that the Guards are lazy or inept. I think that they simply don't care.
    I would define not bothering to do your job as lazy TBH. What else could it be? The argument that the Gardaí "know more than we do" is just waffle really. You could give Mrs OBumble's excuse for inaction about any crime on earth but there's zero to back it up.
    What we see with our own eyes is them not enforcing the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

We're getting dangerously close to Garda bashing territory, which may be a conversation for another forum. In the interest of keeping with the OP, ease up a wee bit please.

Merci buckets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

610 sigs to the petition, not too bad but this story seems to be dying out somewhat. Have shared on FB again and would ask everyone else to do the same. TristanPeter have you heard back from any of the county councillors etc. that you cc'd in the email?

I have not heard a single word from any of them, including Terry O Flaherty and Mairead Farrell. I have not even had a reply about adding this to the next council meeting's agenda. I'll bet you a tenner they are all just hoping it will blow over. If it does we will be back in square one the next time another sick incident occurs. I think I might print the petition and hand deliver it to them, including all the names. Surely they cannot just keep ignoring the whole thing?!

I have not heard a single word from any of them, including Terry O Flaherty and Mairead Farrell. I have not even had a reply about adding this to the next council meeting's agenda. I'll bet you a tenner they are all just hoping it will blow over. If it does we will be back in square one the next time another sick incident occurs. I think I might print the petition and hand deliver it to them, including all the names. Surely they cannot just keep ignoring the whole thing?!

we should all print off a few and send them off. I will anyhow.

Try to hand deliver them & get a signature so that can't deny receiving it.

Of course the Council will try to bury this especially during the tourist season.

The problem is it's already dying down, this means that they can continue to ignore the while bloody thing until it does actually go away. The thread had many contributors as did the AH, now it's down to a core few. Quite frankly what's in order here is a protest to keep the story alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Just popping back to this thread. I certainly have not forgotten, was just on vacation in an Internet free area of the world.

I signed the petition for what it's worth. Disgusted to hear TristanPeter has not heard back anything. Especially disappointed in Mairead Farrell if she was happy enough commenting for the paper...:mad:

I follow a good few of the animal rescues on Facebook and protesting was mentioned there.

Anyone on this thread have any experience organising one?

Afraid not. :( Good idea though. A meeting of some sort is much needed also. I'm also wondering is there a Residents Association in the area of Ballybane does anybody know?

If anyone wants to contact those in authority, I think the best thing to do at this stage is to contact them all in the one email, so they know who else is receiving the email also. I suppose that means sending a carbon copy to each?
    Phoning each relevant dept individually-The Gardai, Galway City Council, City Councillors etc has just proved pointless so far, and I'm afraid that they will continue to pass the buck. I've certainly had my fill of nonsense. It is just going to keep going back and forth. Keep sending the same email everyday if you guys have to.

Galway City Council: <see website for mails>
    Liam Hanrahan-Administrative Officer for Housing : <see website for mails>
    GSPCA: <see website for mails>
    Cllr Mairéad Farrell: <see website for mails>
    Cllr Terry O'Flaherty: <see website for mails>

• Advertisement

I am not even from Galway but there are so many decent people on here who want to make sure that this is the last time anything like this happens. Ye really are a credit to the city. It's a pity the county councillors aren't the same, happy enough to be mouth pieces for the media, all well and good making the right sound but the lack of following them up with actual actions is the issue.

I have no experience personally with organising a protest. The GSPCA should have organised one by rights but that's another issue. ARAN is one organisation that loves to protest and I am sure they would only be delighted to stage one.

It seems sadly that trying to do something about the issue of animal abuse is like trying to talk to a brick wall. One has to wonder why any of these people bother running for election, their job is to help people and better the area, however making hard decisions and pissing people off would cost them votes.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I am not even from Galway but there are so many decent people on here who want to make sure that this is the last time anything like this happens. Ye really are a credit to the city. It's a pity the county councillors aren't the same, happy enough to be mouth pieces for the media, all well and good making the right sound but the lack of following them up with actual actions is the issue.

I have no experience personally with organising a protest. The GSPCA should have organised one by rights but that's another issue. ARAN is one organisation that loves to protest and I am sure they would only be delighted to stage one.

It seems sadly that trying to do something about the issue of animal abuse is like trying to talk to a brick wall. One has to wonder why any of these people bother running for election, their job is to help people and better the area, however making hard decisions and pissing people off would cost them votes.

Very well said. And it is so disheartening. We all like to take pride in where we live. Its an embarrassment to invite family and friends into our home the way things are in the area at the moment.

To be honest I don't know if this issue is a real priority to any of those in question.
    I would challenge any of them in authority to come and live with us in the area and they will see the full extent of the problem. You wouldn't believe the half of it that goes on. Following on from countless conversations with the Gardai, Cllr's, City Council etc, I don't feel there is one bit of support or protection for that matter.
    The area is sadly ruled by these people who are so well known to Gardai at this stage. Everyone else chooses to hide behind their curtains, or in my case sadly banging my head off a brick wall in complete and utter frustration at not being listened to!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm also wondering is there a Residents Association in the area of Ballybane does anybody know?

If anyone wants to contact those in authority, I think the best thing to do at this stage is to contact them all in the one email

There are a large number of community groups in Ballybane, including residents associations for some estates.

Long list here: http://www.stbrigidsparishballybane.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31&Itemid=12

As regards contacting people, I would suggest that face to face is far better than email. Emails are easy-come-easy-go.

And for all that - this is not a new problem: http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/26404/council-criticised-over-horses-muck-in-ballybane-estates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

anyone living in the castlepark/Rian Luchra area? Spotted a small little shetland pony tied to a wall in the large football pitch near the clubhouse this morning (opposite Windsor Motors). Would anyone living near there be able to keep an eye on him/her? especially to see if the little kids are trying to get up on it. Don't usually be down that way but was this morning walking dogs. will try an keep an eye on him myself

fifib wrote: »
    anyone living in the castlepark/Rian Luchra area? Spotted a small little shetland pony tied to a wall in the large football pitch near the clubhouse this morning (opposite Windsor Motors).
    I would assume this is Council-owned land. Did you contact the Council or the Gardai about it directly? Any photos fifib? Could you tell if it had water?

I would assume this is Council-owned land. Did you contact the Council or the Gardai about it directly? Any photos fifib? Could you tell if it had water?

No did not contact council about it and no pics as I didnt have my phone with me. there were actually two council men starting to clear up in the field as I was leaving but last time I asked them for help to untangle a horse from a load of trees they weren't too obliging, they helped me eventually but that was after I said Id ring the council to get help. The pony seemed fine, there was a bucket beside it but i did not get close enough to check for water as I had my dogs with me and I didn't want to scare it. ill try and go back down again this eve but in case i cant would appreciate anyone in the area to keep an eye on him. generally their well fed and watered but like i said on this thread before its the kids interferring with them thats awful. they chase and pin them into a corner to get up on them, most of them being too heavy to get up on such a small pony/foal and end up damaging or breaking its back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

fifib wrote: »
    anyone living in the castlepark/Rian Luchra area? Spotted a small little shetland pony tied to a wall in the large football pitch near the clubhouse this morning (opposite Windsor Motors). Would anyone living near there be able to keep an eye on him/her? especially to see if the little kids are trying to get up on it. Don't usually be down that way but was this morning walking dogs. will try an keep an eye on him myself

Which end of it is he on?

hes just beside the gate that leads you from out onto the castlepark side
    Along this wall here on map

This is a good sign at least. One of the latest signatures on the petition. The only councillor to acknowledge this so far:

Best of luck with your campaign, you have my support from inside the Council Chamber. Cllr. Mike Cubbard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

There is a Helpline operated by Dept of Agriculture - the phone only gets answered in the afternoon but you can leave a message at all other times. There is also an email address you can send animal welfare issues to.

Animal Welfare Helpline:
    from 2pm to 5pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays). At all other times it will divert to a recorded message and messages left will be monitored regularly.
    The phone number for the Helpline:
    Call Save: <PM for number>
    Phone: <PM for number>

Advertisement