Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foal killed in Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

The majority of the citizens of Galway City should not have to put up with absolutely unacceptable, criminal and sick behaviour of a small minority of inhumane thugs. This is literally being done in the open, in front of us, and it is being ignored by the people we elected to represent us and by the people hired to enforce the laws of the land. I don't accept any arguments to do with ethnicity, society or lack of education. Knowing right from wrong, and the ability to make a decision based on this is a basic defining human characteristic.

If enough people petition the council and let them know we will not accept there inaction they have to do something about it...it's their job otherwise they are negligent both professionally and morally (perhaps even legally)!

Apathy and inaction are half the problem here. Allowing the behaviour to continue is almost as bad as the behaviour itself in my opinion.

We need to demand action, demand solutions and not just wait for the next incident to occur and start a new thread about it on Boards.

Let's get a petition going, even an online one. We have to do something or we are not helping these poor animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Let's get a petition going, even an online one. We have to do something or we are not helping these poor animals.
    Start it and I'll sign it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Knowing right from wrong, and the ability to make a decision based on this is a basic defining human characteristic.

Apathy and inaction are half the problem here. Allowing the behaviour to continue is almost as bad as the behaviour itself in my opinion.

I totally agree with the 2nd paragraph you posted.

But the first one? So you're saying that the families which allowed their daughters to be admitted to the Mother and Baby home in Tuam were fundamentally not human?

Inhumane, I can buy.

But non human?

ScumLord wrote: »
    Start it and I'll sign it.

No problem! I will but before I do, I'd like input from anyone interested as to the exact wording of it before I submit it.

Just looking at:
    http://www.petitions.ie/index.php

Would this fall under Government or Environment? I know in this case it's local government but I think the Dept. of the Environment in Galway City Council are meant to deal with animals.

Mrs OBumble, what I mean is the ability to make a decision based on right or wrong is one of the things that makes us human, not the decision itself. Of course they are human, but they made a very inhumane decision imo

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Seconded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Basically, just like every other animal on the planet.

That makes it sound like it's their own horse?? You'd think even if the owner doesn't care about the welfare of the animal that they'd see it as something that's worth money (or, why else would they keep it), I don't see how they could allow the animal to be killed like that and do nothing.

How many city kids go to petting zoos and the likes? If city kids aren't introduced to animals in a good way when their young animals are just things that appear on their supermarket shelf.

Thats a load of rubbish, they are just cruel bad minded little bastards.

Being kind to other living creatures is something that you have in you, not something that you have to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Dutchess wrote: »
    EDIT: And people were standing by looking on? Some grownup without the courage to stand up to a few scumbag young teens. How do they sleep at night? I am SO done.

I believe any decent human being would rush to a defenseless animal being beaten to death; however, in this day and age they would all be thrown in jail for child abuse.
    I don’t want to believe an adult would do something like this but you never know :(

Thats a load of rubbish, they are just cruel bad minded little bastards.

Well they are now.

But I don't think they always were like that. And apparently you don't think so either:
    Being kind to other living creatures is something that you have in you, not something that you have to learn.

Unless you're saying that there's some fundamental trait that makes some homo-sapiens kind (ie real humans), and others are not?

The kids get into a state where they behave like that because of what's been done to them. Or not done to them. They've learned un-kindness, because society didn't teach them kindness.

I totally agree there need to be consequences for their actions, ones that help them to learn better. And that some element of punishment is likely to be part of it. But brutalising them some more will just make the even more brutal.

Un

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

****ing scum. absolute ****ing scum.

We all know that it was members of a certain "community" that did this and people are afraid to even say it for fear of being banned.

Is it any wonder they do as they please when you can't say a word against them.

Scum.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

We all know the it was members of a certain "community" that did this and people are afraid to even say it for fear of being banned.

Is it any wonder they do as they please when you can't say a word against them.

Scum.
    You mean those world famous "horse lovers"? Yeah, who else.
    Can we ban anyone without land or access to land from owning livestock already?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I don't think it's fair to blame society really. No matter where you're from or your background, if you think doing this to a horse is acceptable then you are absolute scum and, in reality, you deserve a severe punishment. Some people cannot be rehabilitated back into normal, functioning society no matter what education and resources they receive. Some people are just born degenerates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Again, kids that never should have existed in the 1st place have done this - their scum parents leeched of the system and had kids to get more money... bringing in kids to the world that were shown no love and grew up like their scrote parents.

Solution is simple, pay this sub human scum not to have kids ... everyone is a winner, the filth get their money for drink/drugs .... no next generation of scum harming innocents .

Of course , the scum terrorist "do gooders" Sinn Fein and the likes wouldn't agree with it - it's their sort anyway it effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

the_monkey wrote: »
    Again, kids that never should have existed in the 1st place have done this - their scum parents leeched of the system and had kids to get more money... bringing in kids to the world that were shown no love and grew up like their scrote parents.

Solution is simple, pay this sub human scum not to have kids ... everyone is a winner, the filth get their money for drink/drugs .... no next generation of scum harming innocents .

Of course , the scum terrorist "do gooders" Sinn Fein and the likes wouldn't agree with it - it's their sort anyway it effects.

You're a genius, Sir..Why did no one ever think of that.

Thank you so much good man for the vote of confidence.

Maybe when I run for office you can vote for me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well they are now.

But I don't think they always were like that. And apparently you don't think so either:

Unless you're saying that there's some fundamental trait that makes some homo-sapiens kind (ie real humans), and others are not?

The kids get into a state where they behave like that because of what's been done to them. Or not done to them. They've learned un-kindness, because society didn't teach them kindness.

I totally agree there need to be consequences for their actions, ones that help them to learn better. And that some element of punishment is likely to be part of it. But brutalising them some more will just make the even more brutal.

Un

Stop making excuses for them.

You don't know did society "do" anything to them.

Lot of people had a hard life, they don't go around killing animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

What about some sort of horse license? You can't get one without proving you have the facilities to take care of one and it gives the authority an excuse to make enquiries about any horse they see abandoned and the authority to take the horse straight away for an owner to come forward and present their license, they could pay a release fee on the condition they can show they can provide proper accommodation.

The license fee could go towards rehoming any abandoned animals they find.

I'm sure legitimate and conscientious owners won't like the idea of added expense put upon them but I think anyone with even a passing love of horses could see the merit in such a system.

I am not from Galway but started a thread in AH about this story as I am as disgusted as many of you.

As it stands there are laws that state all horses in Ireland are to be microchipped and have passports. Microchipping to identify stolen horses, to tie abandoned or abused horses to their owners etc. The passport is basically a document with all the horses information on it. Makes sense and would be great if it was actually enforced, which it is not. Why would they microchip an animal if it could come back on them, as it stands they can just deny ownership and nothing can be done to prove otherwise because microchipping is not enforced.

Well they are now.

Un

Don't blame society here, it's the kids parents ... they were never fit for having kids.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    As it stands there are laws that state all horses in Ireland are to be microchipped and have passports. Microchipping to identify stolen horses, to tie abandoned or abused horses to their owners etc. The passport is basically a document with all the horses information on it. Makes sense and would be great if it was actually enforced, which it is not. Why would they microchip an animal if it could come back on them, as it stands they can just deny ownership and nothing can be done to prove otherwise because microchipping is not enforced.
    Ah, so for the 1000000th time on boards.ie, the question "why are there no laws to prevent this?" is answered by "There are but nobody bothers their hole enforcing them".
    :rolleyes:

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Ah, so for the 1000000th time on boards.ie, the question "why are there no laws to prevent this?" is answered by "There are but nobody bothers their hole enforcing them".

That's the a big part of the problem for sure. Unfortunately it looks like we have to demand that they are enforced by the council. We shouldn't have to demand this as these laws should be enforced like any other laws such as illegal parking in the city for example. They just don't want the hassle of dealing with it imo and they are allowed by us to get away with it.

The other part of the problem is the scumbags who do these things but if you ask me, they are a lost cause. All we can do to prevent this is to put the animals beyond their reach.

• Advertisement

That's the a big part of the problem for sure. Unfortunately it looks like we have to demand that they are enforced by the council.
    I don't think law enforcement is really the council's job. We've heard it here and I've seen it first hand. On the blue moon that the Gardai respond to this kind of report, they do the usual drive by and nothing at all is done. If an unchipped and abused large animal is abandoned in a public space, why is it ignored?

The way I look at it is, these horses are being kept in large on council-owned land by the travelling community. They are even being kept in the back gardens of council houses (Rocklands Avenue for example). The council/Dept. of the Environment should therefore direct the Gardai to intervene and confiscate the poor things. It should be a joint effort. If Gardai see them on council land they should not ignore them, as in, not have to be told by the council to deal with it.

Often what the owners do is keep the horses locked away until Friday evening. Then they move them onto the council land until Monday morning when the council offices re-open.

One concern I do have is that if they are not kept on council land, where will they be kept if they are not confiscated?!

One concern I do have is that if they are not kept on council land, where will they be kept if they are not confiscated?!
    Either sanctuary/rehomed or destroyed. Just like stray dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Quote for truth. What a brilliant idea. Enforce it thought, pay them for allowing themselves to be subjected to sterilisation/vasectomy.

Either sanctuary/rehomed or destroyed. Just like stray dogs.

I meant, if the travelling community know they can't put them on council land anymore, where will they put them? They will probably leave them locked in back gardens or other dodgy places constantly...well at least until they get killed at the next sulky race by running them into trees and then running off leaving them there to bleed to death (happened lately).

I just saw this story (OP) on the front page of the Galway City Tribune by the way. Must get the paper later. Maybe it will help shame the gardai and the council into action but I won't hold my breath.

So the Tribune suggests they don't know who exactly they were, just that they were kids. I had the impression that they knew who and that they were just doing nothing. I really hope someone from the area has the courage to identify them. Curious to see how that would be followed up.

Dutchess wrote: »
    So the Tribune suggests they don't know who exactly they were, just that they were kids. I had the impression that they knew who and that they were just doing nothing. I really hope someone from the area has the courage to identify them. Curious to see how that would be followed up.

And I'll bet you a tenner that nowadays, with the prevalence of mobile phones someone has photos of it happening.
    Must have been pretty big kids to be able to kill an animal in the way they did.

Sure if they're dumb enough a video might grace YouTube soon....

The real problem is that laws are selectively enforced.

If we have a farm inspection and a cow is missing both her ear tags (can easily happen during the summer with stock are out in the fields). That alone can lead to hassle from the department. One offence wont do it but a few minor infringements like the above could lead to deductions in payments etc and loads of hassle.

On the other hand there are certain people who treat animals (horses in particular, but dogs etc too) horrifically bad and that's leaving out the real headline incidents like this. Just look at how horses are kept out around carrowbrowne, absolute miserable looking animals tied to poles with little feed and no access to water. If a farmer did that he'd be in court the following week.

The Guards are afraid to step in because there will be some mouth piece on the 6 O'clock news ranting about "racism" or some other nonsense.

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »
    Don't blame society here, it's the kids parents ... they were never fit for having kids.

Agreed that the parents were never fit for having kids.

But society still let them have an raise kids.

So ... society's fault.

Advertisement