Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foal killed in Galway

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

inisboffin wrote: »
    Nice try? Is this a competition. I'm giggling as to how one would measure 'drunkenness'. Perhaps you mean alcohol consumption rate?
    Wow. Just, wow. You're really going to make a deal of the difference between those two terms? Please, please, try to deny there is a link between alcohol consumption and drunkenness, because, you know, that would be the only reason you would even try to make a point out of that.
    My issue is not necessarily with your opinion about the group, my issue is that you don't see it as discrimination to not only tar an entire group with the same brush, but also to judge that there is no hope for any solution to these problems, nor willingness in the community to solve them.
    It is my opinion that the traveller community will not identify any individual(s) responsible for this or any other animal cruelty. Is that discrimination? I haven't stopped them doing anything, I'm just telling you what I expect will happen.
    And discrimination doesn't have to be based on facts. I was abroad really recently and two people said: "Oh you guys have a horrible child abuse problem, don't you?" What do you mean I asked them. They then went on to cite an article about the Tuam babies which had a ***much higher than average*** incidence of infant mortality as the reason that they thought this.
    Did they say 'not a hope in hell' of Ireland stopping this? No. Because they know that it wasn't the whole country. A group having a higher than average problem rate *does NOT* mean that everyone in that group is responsible, nor does it mean that we shouldn't advocate for change.
    Is this in any way connected to what I have posted, because if it is you haven't made the slightest indication how. I don't really care what foreigners think of Ireland as a whole, if what they are saying is false. Why should I? Besides, even your anecdote would be more analogous with Irish society as a whole being blamed for the *actual* problems the traveller community have. That's a matter of perception outside Ireland, which I really don't see how it has any bearing on the fact that travellers are provably not discriminated against in the Irish education system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Wow. Just, wow. You're really going to make a deal of the difference between those two terms? Please, please, try to deny there is a link between alcohol consumption and drunkenness, because, you know, that would be the only reason you would even try to make a point out of that.
    It is my opinion that the traveller community will not identify any individual(s) responsible for this or any other animal cruelty. Is that discrimination? I haven't stopped them doing anything, I'm just telling you what I expect will happen.

Is this in any way connected to what I have posted, because if it is you haven't made the slightest indication how. I don't really care what foreigners think of Ireland as a whole, if what they are saying is false. Why should I? Besides, even your anecdote would be more analogous with Irish society as a whole being blamed for the *actual* problems the traveller community have. That's a matter of perception outside Ireland, which I really don't see how it has any bearing on the fact that travellers are provably not discriminated against in the Irish education system.

I'm sorry but you haven't proven that to me. You've accused me of stretching analogies but don't see that there is discrimination in the way you judge a whole set of people by the actions of some, but worse than that you claim to *speak* for them as a whole and say they will do nothing to change negative behaviour if offered support. Wow yourself.
    The point about drunkenness vs alcohol consumption I was making is a societal one. It's fine to be 'drunk' in mainstream irish culture but alcohol abuse is really common in marginalised groups and the reasons are complex. SThis thread is about animal cruelty but instead of looking for solutions it's much easier to blame and give up it seems. If my points don't resonate with you then so be it. It's not a competition, have your opinion and believe theres 'not a hope in hell'
    I'll sign a petition asking for tighter enforcement of existing rules and laws and hope for a change, just like with all the other horrible s*it that we once tolerated.

I'm sorry but you haven't proven that to me. You've accused me of stretching analogies but don't see that there is discrimination in the way you judge a whole set of people by the actions of some, but worse than that you claim to *speak* for them as a whole and say they will do nothing to change negative behaviour if offered support. Wow yourself.
    Listen, I get this whole thing about generalisations regarding particular groups of people. In this case I am happy with my conclusion: the traveller community will not change their barbaric practises towards animals without external pressure. Having an opinion on that does not mean I am "speaking" for them any more than me saying the US should stay out of Iraq makes me press secretary for Barack Obama.
    I'll sign any petition asking for actual enforcement of already existing laws. Do I expect anybody to pay any attention to such a petition? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Roquentin wrote: »
    They have been brought up not to know the difference between right and wrong. Thats my point. The reason why you or i would not do this, is not because we are inherently good people or born good, its because we have had good childhoods, with parents that taught us right and wrong.

These kids are a product of their environment. The man you are today can be traced back to your childhood.

I am not defending them. I simply observe what i see and i look at pattern. The fact that travellers across the country ill treat their animals shows that something is going wrong in the way those kids are educated and by education i mean at home and school.

Also i am thinking of trying to do something in the long term. Short term is putting them in prison, and they should be in prison. But long term is tackling the problem on a bigger scale. The government should be targeting the traveller community more.

I am laughing my head off that you are getting mad at an LCD screen. Grow up FFS. You dont even know me. The sun is shining, try and enjoy it. Life is short

It sure was for the foal

TbL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Horses are been treated so badly all over the country though. Its a bit like the grey hounds that get dumped when they are no longer of use. The ownership of horses needs to be better regulated. We need another sanctuary or two or three by the looks of it. Maybe if we pushed the government to create a few new sanctuary's that might help lessen the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Government & Gardai are very selective over which laws are enforced. Traffic law enforcement generates revenue & it's easy. Offences like animal cruelty produce no revenue & are difficult.

I was involved in animal rescue in the UK. The Police were amazing & the vast majority support animal welfare. Neglect an animal in Ireland & nothing happens. Do it in the UK & someone will call the RSPCA & the Police.

Animal welfare has never been a political priority here because the majority don't care enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Listen, I get this whole thing about generalisations regarding particular groups of people. In this case I am happy with my conclusion: the traveller community will not change their barbaric practises towards animals without external pressure. Having an opinion on that does not mean I am "speaking" for them any more than me saying the US should stay out of Iraq makes me press secretary for Barack Obama.
    I'll sign any petition asking for actual enforcement of already existing laws. Do I expect anybody to pay any attention to such a petition? No.

To be clear: are you saying there is a particular group who is responsible for this terrible thing that happened recently?

If you are, what is your evidence? Have you informed the Gardai?

bobbyss wrote: »
    To be clear: are you saying there is a particular group who is responsible for this terrible thing that happened recently?

If you are, what is your evidence? Have you informed the Gardai?
    Why would I need to be clear about something that isn't within a billion miles of what I said? I never said I hold any group "responsible" for this. That's a complete fabrication on your behalf.
    Better strawmanning next time please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Not sure how, or if, this would work but how about someone petitioning the council to have the Galway Dog Warden post re-designated as the Galway Animal Welfare Officer?. At least there would then be someone else to report incidences like this to other than the Gardai, who we know are understaffed.

As I said earlier, I don't live in Galway so it wouldn't carry much weight coming from me, but I would be more than happy to sign and to help get others to do the same.

Not sure how, or if, this would work but how about someone petitioning the council to have the Galway Dog Warden post re-designated as the Galway Animal Welfare Officer?. At least there would then be someone else to report incidences like this to other than the Gardai, who we know are understaffed.

As I said earlier, I don't live in Galway so it wouldn't carry much weight coming from me, but I would be more than happy to sign and to help get others to do the same.
    The main problem with that suggestion is that the dog warden is utterly useless already with one species to cover.

• Advertisement

The main problem with that suggestion is that the dog warden is utterly useless already with one species to cover.

If this is the case then pester your local councillor to get something done about it. Unless people complain, and keep complaining, then he/she will continue to be useless. Here in Mayo I've managed to get a few things done by not being fobbed off.
    It works even better if the councillor gets call after call on the same subject.

If this is the case then pester your local councillor to get something done about it. Unless people complain, and keep complaining, then he/she will continue to be useless. Here in Mayo I've managed to get a few things done by not being fobbed off.
    It works even better if the councillor gets call after call on the same subject.
    As with most issues, annoying the councillor only works when he thinks he might lose his seat if he doesn't do something. A lot of councillors could kill every firstborn in the area and still get elected. All the moaning seems to be forgotten on polling day.

The Gardai are responsible for law enforcement not SPCA's or Councils.

If the Guards fail to take any case seriously then report them to the Garda Ombudsman.

Publicity is likely to be the most effective tool. This story needs to be spread far & wide.

Why would I need to be clear about something that isn't within a billion miles of what I said? I never said I hold any group "responsible" for this. That's a complete fabrication on your behalf.
    Better strawmanning next time please.

Thank you for that clarifying that you don't, as you say, hold any group responsible for this.

So who is responsible do you think?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Discodog wrote: »
    The Gardai are responsible for law enforcement not SPCA's or Councils.

If the Guards fail to take any case seriously then report them to the Garda Ombudsman.

Publicity is likely to be the most effective tool. This story needs to be spread far & wide.

Thats what i was thinking. Get the petition up and running and see how it goes. There is another thread on this topic and a poster is setting up one

Thank you for that clarifying that you don't, as you say, hold any group responsible for this.

Firstly the individual.
    Secondly the parents - if it's a child.
    Thirdly any witnesses or family/friends who either allowed it to happen or have information.

Sorry, do you think I am Batman or Magnum PI here? I don't know their actual name I'm afraid.

According to press reports the GSPCA have reported the matter to the Guards. But the Guards should of been there immediately. It's a crime scene.
    People need to realise that you call the Guards before the SPCA.

Sorry, do you think I am Batman or Magnum PI here? I don't know their actual name I'm afraid.

1. No need to apologize.

2. You mentioned 'barbaric practises' of travellers in relation to animals.
    How are you aware of these barbaric practises? How do you know travellers are responsible?

As with most issues, annoying the councillor only works when he thinks he might lose his seat if he doesn't do something. A lot of councillors could kill every firstborn in the area and still get elected. All the moaning seems to be forgotten on polling day.

Sorry but that's a very negative attitude.

Nothing will get done so let's all sit back and do nothing is not the way to go.

I think I'll sign off this thread now as it's going nowhere. If anyone starts, or hears of, a petition please PM me.

• Advertisement

1. No need to apologize.

How are you aware of these barbaric practises? How do you know travellers are responsible?
    2. I've seen them. Numerous times. Reported every time. Nothing done.
    Now I can't prove that every case of animal abuse in the history of the state was the responsibility of the traveller community, but I've never even heard of anyone else keeping livestock in urban areas.
    Whether this case was travellers or not we don't know for sure yet, but I know which movable doors the Gardai should be knocking on if they're even bothered with any of this.

1. No need to apologize.

My Greyhound was rescued from travellers. My vet described her condition as appalling.

Yes the "settled community" also commit animal cruelty. But the majority don't take part in "unofficial" Greyhound racing, hare coursing, sulky racing etc.

I have never heard of a case where travellers have offered information to the Guards or Police regarding cruelty.

Plenty of people know who did this & they are as guilty as the perpetrators.

2. I've seen them. Numerous times. Reported every time. Nothing done.
    Now I can't prove that every case of animal abuse in the history of the state was the responsibility of the traveller community, but I've never even heard of anyone else keeping livestock in urban areas.
    Whether this case was travellers or not we don't know for sure yet, but I know which movable doors the Gardai should be knocking on if they're even bothered with any of this.

Ask the Gardai in Darndale, Priorswood, Coolock or Ballymun if it is only Travellers who keep livestock in urban areas.

You may be suprised with the response.

Ask the Gardai in Darndale, Priorswood, Coolock or Ballymun if it is only Travellers who keep livestock in urban areas.

You may be suprised with the response.
    No I wouldn't.
    But I'd be surprised if it was in Galway which is where we're talking about.
    1/4 of all horse abuse cases apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

At official level Ireland's actually very lagging behind the UK on animal welfare.

Ultimately, failure to act isn't only bad for animals it's something that damages our reputation as a nation and raises questions about our animal welfare in other areas which may be well regulated.

On the one hand we're trying to send out this image of clean, green, animal friendly Ireland and on the other, the authorities and politicians won't tackle very visible animal welfare issues that we all know about.

Frankly, I don't get it.

No I wouldn't.
    But I'd be surprised if it was in Galway which is where we're talking about.
    1/4 of all horse abuse cases apparently.

You did mention urban areas without specifying Galway urban areas.

You did mention urban areas without specifying Galway urban areas.
    You'll also find most of these "settled" urban livestock owners are from the traveller tradition, rendering it all a bit of a non-point.

You'll also find most of these "settled" urban livestock owners are from the traveller tradition, rendering it all a bit of a non-point.

Non-point? A 'bit' of a non-point? !

I don't think you engage well.

Thank you but goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Its funny how when posters have their say and then get the hump when somebody comes up with arguments or different points.:D

• Advertisement

Non-point? A 'bit' of a non-point? !

I don't think you engage well.

Thank you but goodbye.
    And you don't take having your theories disproven with all that much grace either.

Advertisement