Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foal killed in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

PLUG71 wrote: »
    Its funny how when posters have their say and then get the hump when somebody comes up with arguments or different points.:D

I think that it's really sad when people take an important thread about the agonising death of an animal & turn into a tit for tat personal argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Discodog wrote: »
    I think that it's really sad when people take an important thread about the agonising death of an animal & turn into a tit for tat personal argument.
    That's strange because there hasn't been a single post moderated here for personal abuse
    I for one have no problem sticking to discussing the facts. As I have here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Why quote me?

I merely made an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The issue at hand.

It must be a lack of interest, a lack of will, a lack of leadership that has resulted in our total failure to deal with animal rights. Sadly, there are not enough voted for animal rights. Yet there ia a huge consensus of outrage. I recall bread stuffed with a fire cracker fed to swans in Dublin and other terrible animal cruelty cases.

Is it known who is responsible for this? If it is known who is responsible for the death of the foal, why oh why are prosecutions not following?

Where does the buck stop?

bobbyss wrote: »
    The issue at hand.

It must be a lack of interest, a lack of will, a lack of leadership that has resulted in our total failure to deal with animal rights. Sadly, there are not enough voted for animal rights. Yet there ia a huge consensual of outrage. I recall bread stuffed with a fire cracker fed to swans in Dublin and other terrible animal cruelty cases.

Is it known who is responsible for this? If it is known who is responsible for the death of the foal, why oh why are prosecutions not following?

Where does the buck stop?

The Greens took a lot of stick for introducing the Bill to regulate dog breeding. People accused them of putting animals ahead of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The Greens took a lot of stick for introducing the Bill to regulate dog breeding. People accused them of putting animals ahead of people.

I did not notice anything in the literature from candidates at local elections re animal rights. To be honest, it was an issue at that time not high up in my agenda - it is only when cases come to the fore that we become engaged.

I think Terri O'Flaherty (is that her name? she is I think from Mervue) is one of the few politicians who are engaged with this issue. I recall her on radio last year being outraged re another cruel horse case in Ballybane. What struck me then was that here was an experienced politician who knows the ways and means of things and yet even she sounded frustrated with the inability for the different bodies to act.

The only body that needs to act are the Gardai. The law exists & it makes it a criminal offence to subject an animal to "unnecessary suffering or distress".

The new Animal Welfare Act provides further protection but again it is dependant on the Gardai to enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Didn't hear of anyone getting arrested for this?

I'd imagine it's well known who did it

Someone put a horse in a field near me & it's clearly unwell. It was left with no water.

It should be a legal requirement to put a name & phone number on the gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

The Gardai should have immediately acted on this and on any other cases of animal abuse which are reported to them. From my own experience this has never happened, they just turn a blind eye to it. Is it permitted for a member of the public to inquire as to what the Gardai have done about this to date does anyone know?

To get any traction here, we have to ensure the Council are acting in the people's interests by (a) preventing future occurrences by enforcing existing laws and (b) ensuring the cases of abuse are followed through on in terms of prosecution. This has to be a joint Council/Gardai effort. This happened on council-owned land. If the Gardai are not doing their job, the Council should be asking very serious questions of the Gardai. If the Council are not doing their jobs, the people who elected them have to ask the questions of the Council.

By the way, I bet offering a reward for information as to who did this (based on a prosecution of course) would get results. I don't care what reasons they had for doing this as long as they are punished for it so a message is sent out loud and clear that this will not be tolerated.

Still working on petition so will update asap.

• Advertisement

I am just about to create a petition on the Care2 petition site about this. Wanted to run it by whomever may be concerned on here before I publish it. This has to reflect the sentiment of more than just one individual so if you think this is inaccurate let me know asap. I want to do this before it all blows over and is forgotten about until the next inevitable episode. I will publish it after 2pm so as to allow time for feedback, and I would expect anyone who has voiced their opinion on this issue in this thread to date would sign it :)

Title
    Demand Galway City Council together with the Gardai enforce exiting Animal Welfare/Protection laws with respect to chronic animal (especially equine) abuse in Galway City, ban sulkies on all public roads, and bring to prosecution those who illegally engage in, or have engaged in, the abuse of animals in the city environs.

Who Do you want to Petition?
    Galway City Council and the Superintendent of An Garda Síochána, Galway City.

Why should people sign this?
    Animals, particularly horses and dogs, are being horribly and illegally abused in Galway City, often on council-owned lands as was the case this month on the east of the city when a young foal was beaten to death by a group of youths.

Perpetrators of these crimes are not being punished despite the existence of animal welfare and protection laws being in place. The City Council and the Gardai continue to allow this abuse to happen by turning a blind eye, ignoring this chronic problem. Owners of these animals continue to be allowed to keep them on council-lands, including the back gardens of council houses. Laws requiring horse owners to have a “passport” and a microchip are not being enforced. Many of these horses are being bred for sulky racing purposes. Please help to ban this completely unregulated practice and in turn help save many of these defenceless animals from further abuse.

Help put an end to animal abuse now by demanding Galway City Council and the Gardai together take action, enforce current laws and prosecute the perpetrators of these horrible crimes. Do not facilitate further abuse by allowing the Council and the Gardai to look the other way.

As citizens of this wonderful city, we have to also ask ourselves, how does this kind of animal abuse reflect on all of us if we continue to allow a small minority to commit these crimes again and again and never be held accountable or be punished?!

Demand to see a public statement issued jointly by the Council/Gardai outlining what practical steps will be taken to a) punish these particular youth criminals (and any other perpetrators involved) and b) demand to know what will be done about enforcing the horse/animal laws to prevent future occurrences.

Galway City Council are there to serve the people of Galway City and the Gardai are there to enforce the law. Make them do their jobs! Do not allow them to allow a small minority to continue to abuse animals in any way.

Title
    Demand Galway City Council together with the Gardai enforce exiting Animal Welfare/Protection laws with respect to chronic animal (especially equine) abuse in Galway City, ban sulkies on all public roads, and bring to prosecution those who illegally engage in, or have engaged in, the abuse of animals in the city environs.
    While not abuse in itself, is keeping your livestock on public property i.e. green areas, sports pitches etc., not also illegal? These horses should be removed immediately whether in poor condition or not.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    While not abuse in itself, is keeping your livestock on public property i.e. green areas, sports pitches etc., not also illegal? These horses should be removed immediately whether in poor condition or not.

Good point!

Demand Galway City Council together with the Gardai enforce exiting Animal Welfare/Protection laws with respect to chronic animal (especially equine) abuse in Galway City, ban sulkies on all public roads, bring to prosecution those who have illegally engaged in, or have engaged in, the abuse of animals in the city environs, and uphold city by-laws which do not allow animals to be kept on public property.

Thanks. I just think these things are intimately linked. If someone has no proper facilities to care for a large animal abuse is inevitable. Why wait for the inevitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭galwaygirl08

I am just about to create a petition on the Care2 petition site about this. Wanted to run it by whomever may be concerned on here before I publish it. This has to reflect the sentiment of more than just one individual so if you think this is inaccurate let me know asap. I want to do this before it all blows over and is forgotten about until the next inevitable episode. I will publish it after 2pm so as to allow time for feedback, and I would expect anyone who has voiced their opinion on this issue in this thread to date would sign it :)

Title

Who Do you want to Petition?
    Galway City Council and the Superintendent of An Garda Síochána, Galway City.

Why should people sign this?
    Animals, particularly horses and dogs, are being horribly and illegally abused in Galway City, often on council-owned lands as was the case this month on the east of the city when a young foal was beaten to death by a group of youths.

Perpetrators of these crimes are not being punished despite the existence of animal welfare and protection laws being in place. The City Council and the Gardai continue to allow this abuse to happen by turning a blind eye, ignoring this chronic problem. Owners of these animals continue to be allowed to keep them on council-lands, including the back gardens of council houses. Laws requiring horse owners to have a “passport” and a microchip are not being enforced. Many of these horses are being bred for sulky racing purposes. Please help to ban this completely unregulated practice and in turn help save many of these defenceless animals from further abuse.

Help put an end to animal abuse now by demanding Galway City Council and the Gardai together take action, enforce current laws and prosecute the perpetrators of these horrible crimes. Do not facilitate further abuse by allowing the Council and the Gardai to look the other way.

As citizens of this wonderful city, we have to also ask ourselves, how does this kind of animal abuse reflect on all of us if we continue to allow a small minority to commit these crimes again and again and never be held accountable or be punished?!

Demand to see a public statement issued jointly by the Council/Gardai outlining what practical steps will be taken to a) punish these particular youth criminals (and any other perpetrators involved) and b) demand to know what will be done about enforcing the horse/animal laws to prevent future occurrences.

Galway City Council are there to serve the people of Galway City and the Gardai are there to enforce the law. Make them do their jobs! Do not allow them to allow a small minority to continue to abuse animals in any way.

Good work. I had the wording drafted up for an online petition but only getting to sit down to the computer now to look at it properly. My head is absolutely melted, between phone calls and typing letters to council members this afternoon. Awaiting the gardai also.

I had more run-ins with these absolute scumbugs at the weekend. More horses running free on the roads. More horses being brought in to their back gardens. THIS HAS TO STOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Good work. I had the wording drafted up for an online petition but only getting to sit down to the computer now to look at it properly. My head is absolutely melted, between phone calls and typing letters to council members this afternoon. Awaiting the gardai also.

I had more run-ins with these absolute scumbugs at the weekend. More horses running free on the roads. More horses being brought in to their back gardens. THIS HAS TO STOP.

Where can we sign the petition. Also the more people that report loose horses to Gardai the better. Is there any way that this thread could be linked to Equestrian form?

Hi JillyQ, I will add the petition in the next half hour or so as I wanted to give some time for feedback from fellow Boardsies here regarding what I had put together. I want to be pretty sure it is to the point and representative of how others feel about this issue...otherwise it's just me ranting.

It would be great to link to the Equestrian forum as the greater the exposure the better. This petition will need critical mass or it's useless.

JillyQ wrote: »
    Where can we sign the petition. Also the more people that report loose horses to Gardai the better. Is there any way that this thread could be linked to Equestrian form?

Yes we need to keep lots of pressure on the council and the gardai. Any issues you have with regards to the horses please keep phoning and emailing. The council can be contacted day or night and all calls are logged. I am tired contacting them so we need strength in numbers at this stage, please EVERYONE contact them to voice your complaints.

Email them, or call 091 536400 and ask for the housing department.

When phoning the gardai please keep note of the guard you were speaking to and day/time etc.

Lets keep the pressure on guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Thanks for that the petition is well put together.
    My feedback: I personally would keep to the issue of animal abuse and being kept in unsafe/hostile areas separate to the issue of Sulkie racing and breeding. I do think the issues have crossover but the primary concern is the mistreatment of animals. I also think you will get more people to sign if you keep them separate.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Thanks for that the petition is well put together.
    My feedback: I personally would keep to the issue of animal abuse and being kept in unsafe/hostile areas separate to the issue of Sulkie racing and breeding. I do think the issues have crossover but the primary concern is the mistreatment of animals. I also think you will get more people to sign if you keep them separate.

Agreed. I do think the issues should be kept separate.
    I feel the major issue we have here stems from horses being allowed in residential areas. As stated before, I want an outright ban on this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Roquentin wrote: »

I just signed this and shared it on my Facebook page, not sure if it can be copied to the A&PI forum, perhaps Mods could let me know?

Oh cool Roquentin!

This is the link to the one I created specifically for Galway City Council/ Gardai:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/675/147/288/#sign

Please sign everyone and get this noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Oh cool Roquentin!

This is the link to the one I created specifically for Galway City Council/ Gardai:

Signed and shared with a horse charity who hopefully will get their members to sign too:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd agree that keeping any reference to any particular groups (or their activities) out of the petition would be best. Mentioning anything specific could only lead to crys of discrimination misdirecting people away from the point of the petition.
    Oh cool Roquentin!

Promotion is the next and possibly most important step. Get it under the noses of as many important people as you can.

Looks good @TristanPeter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Looks good @TristanPeter.

If you set up a facebook page as well with links to the petition, it may go viral

Roquentin wrote: »
    If you set up a facebook page as well with links to the petition, it may go viral

Just setting it up here now. Will post link as soon as its finished. Lets do this guys!! Fingers crossed it will go viral :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Fair play you guys, well done for expecting more of those that govern and run your city, I really hope you get a result.

• Advertisement

I have the facebook page ready to go but I cant post the link on here as I am a new user to boards??

I need a profile pic also for the facebook page, in order to make it a little more eye-catching so any input is much appreciated.

Advertisement