Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foal killed in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭galwaygirl08

Ban horses from our residential areas in Galway City is the facebook page. Someone might help me out by posting the direct link on here. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Thanks galwaygirl for setting the FB page up. I can't view it myself as I don't have an account but hopefully someone will be good enough to post the link here, if Mods allow.

Thanks galwaygirl for setting the FB page up. I can't view it myself as I don't have an account but hopefully someone will be good enough to post the link here, if Mods allow.

That's our bit done for today :) Have shared the petition also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I think we should as well inundate the politicians and Councillors with letters. i will be writing a letter to someone anyhow.

• Advertisement

Roquentin wrote: »
    I think we should as well inundate the politicians and Councillors with letters. i will be writing a letter to someone anyhow.

Yes definitely. I am urging everyone to phone the council/write each Councillor a letter. I want to keep the pressure on. I posted the phone number earlier-091 536400. Calls are taken both day and night.

Yes definitely. I am urging everyone to phone the council/write each Councillor a letter. I want to keep the pressure on. I posted the phone number earlier-091 536400. Calls are taken both day and night.

I think we have to put pressure on simon coveney with regards the regulation and prosecution of animal abusers.

The best method to minimize this stuff is to criminalize it harshly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Is the above number a number for the council? I'm back in Mayo with my parents, so I haven't been around Galway to report loose horses. Is there an email address or anything that I could email someone with a complaint? Have the gardaí said anything about this or has anyone been talking to them?

Yes that number is for the Galway City Council. There is an email address but as I was saying earlier I cant post it as I am a new user on boards? It wont allow me post links to the facebook page either.

Is this the email address? This is what I found on galwaycity.ie. It's for 'customer service'.

customerservice@galwaycity.ie

• Advertisement

Yes that number is for the Galway City Council. There is an email address but as I was saying earlier I cant post it as I am a new user on boards? It wont allow me post links to the facebook page either.

just post it with the letters spaced out or something. or get rid of the www./.ie

A city Councillor sent me on this one 'housing at galwaycity.ie'. Sorry I cant post it correctly as it wont allow me. I have often emailed that email address u have given above also so either will do.

A city Councillor sent me on this one 'housing at galwaycity.ie'. Sorry I cant post it correctly as it wont allow me.

housing@galwaycity.ie

is it?

Yep thats the one I was given. I have often used the one u posted too @ Da Shins Kelly.

Cool. I'll send on an email in the morning to them.

I want to know what the Guards are doing too, if anything. Has there been any movement or word from them on this at all?

I'm sick of the whole thing at this stage. I have literally been driven to tears with frustration. I cant live looking at these good for nothings for much longer. They have our area destroyed and these poor animals-I feel for them so badly. I have sent emails to Cllrs. I also rang the gardai Fri evening as names were starting to circulate as to who carried out this horrific attack, and I wanted to see had they any update on the case. Would you believe the guards were to phone me back once they looked up their system and surprisingly no call since. I rang the council today, and left a message for a tenant liaison officer-she hasn't returned my call either. There is a horse being kept in a back garden and it is so sickening to see. Its just one issue on top of another.
    There is no update coming from anyone. The guards and the council will continue to do as they have done all along. Absolutely nothing.

It's this lack of action that is the real problem. It's completely unbelievable that anyone can get away with doing something like that to an animal in full view of witnesses and in a residential area and for nothing to be done about, not so much as anyone even being arrested. It's the same reason stuff like this will happen again. If sh*tty people think they can get away with sh*tty behaviour, they'll go ahead and do it. The guards are useless and completely spineless when dealing with travellers.

I have been trying to figure out how to continue with this now that the petition is up and running. This is what I have come up with it so far:

1) Allow the petition to continue to run and accumulate signatures, even in the background.
    2) Ensure the targets of the petition i.e. the City Council and the Superintendent are fully aware of its existence ASAP possibly by emailing the link directly to them. Every council member should have a publicly available email address and I think the Superintendent should definitely have some direct (or indirect) line of contact.
    3) Ensure local media, and any other impacted/influential bodies (tourism, local businesses, resident's associations, property management companies, schools etc.) are aware of the petition too so the targets cannot hide/ignore its existence and the sentiment of the public in large surrounding this.
    4) Once it is clear the petition targets are fully aware, give them a deadline to stage a public hearing in the city council buildings so they can provide full details of the answers to the questions put to them in the petition, and so it can be attended by anyone concerned by this matter.
    5) If they do not do this I would argue they are not fulfilling the duties of their office by refusing to act on what a majority of citizens want, and then this can be taken further.

This is just what I think should be done.

By the way, I wonder what role do vets play in all this? I'm pretty sure many of these horses never receive basic veterinary care but I would think when they do, vets would be reviewing details of the owners/horses such as passport info and microchip compliance etc. Just curious as to whether vets are reporting on illegal activity they come across.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

By the way, I wonder what role do vets play in all this? I'm pretty sure many of these horses never receive basic veterinary care but I would think when they do, vets would be reviewing details of the owners/horses such as passport info and microchip compliance etc. Just curious as to whether vets are reporting on illegal activity they come across.
    Somebody else may know the (most likely ignored) law on this, but is there a requirement for livestock owners to have their animals registered with a vet of some sort?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Somebody else may know the (most likely ignored) law on this, but is there a requirement for livestock owners to have their animals registered with a vet of some sort?

Well the horses are required to have a passport & microchip and you a need a vet to do that.

By the time the vets get involved it's usually because a welfare group called them in. Vets in general are very frustrated because the laws are there but they are rarely enforced.
    A good crowd to talk to would be Ireland's Equine Crisis they have a lot of experience with horse rescue, you can find them on facebook.

Well the horses are required to have a passport & microchip and you a need a vet to do that.

That's what I would think but what I am getting at is, if vets are being called out to horses, to assist with birth or for vaccinations for example, and the owners are found not to have the legal documentation/micro-chipping, wouldn't there be a legal obligation on the vet to report this or at least make a record of it?

Anyway...this is just an aside, I don't want to go off topic here. Something to bear in mind perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

The other people to talk to are the Irish Horse Welfare Trust I dont think there is a specific charity in Galway dealing with horses.

That's what I would think but what I am getting at is, if vets are being called out to horses, to assist with birth or for vaccinations for example, and the owners are found not to have the legal documentation/micro-chipping, wouldn't there be a legal obligation on the vet to report this or at least make a record of it?

Anyway...this is just an aside, I don't want to go off topic here. Something to bear in mind perhaps.

But they don't get called out for these things by negligent owners, those horses that aren't chipped sure as hell aren't vaccinated either.

But they don't get called out for these things by negligent owners, those horses that aren't chipped sure as hell aren't vaccinated either.
    I think the point here is that any horse found that isn't chipped needs to be removed immediately. Not "sure why don't you get him chipped some time?" or "who owns that horse?" which seems to be as far as investigations go.

to cconnolly, pearceflannery, peter, donallyons, mcnelis, cathalsf, bcameron, ocrowe, mcubbard, ffahy, annaprior_84, mjcrowe, maireadfarrell, noel, declanpmcdonne., toflaherty, cllrjohnwalsh, mayorsoffice, enquiries, pressoffice, joe.o'neill, billy.dunne, thomas.connell, edel.mccormack, brendan.mcgrath
    Hello,

I would like to draw your attention to the following petition:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/675/147/288/#sign

Notification of this petition has been sent to all Galway City Council members apart from Padraig Conneely as his email is not listed, the Garda Superintendent (Marie Skehill), Mill Street, and the Garda Communications Office.

Please ensure Cllr. Conneely is made aware of this.

Kind Regards

++++++++++++

CC'd Galway Bay FM, City Tribune, Advertiser and sent email to Galway Independent also

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I think the point here is that any horse found that isn't chipped needs to be removed immediately. Not "sure why don't you get him chipped some time?" or "who owns that horse?" which seems to be as far as investigations go.

Sure but that must be the responsibility of a specific authority, not a vet who is going about his daily business.

Sure but that must be the responsibility of a specific authority, not a vet who is going about his daily business.
    I didn't say it was the vet's fault or responsibility! Just that not having an assigned vet and chipping should also be grounds for immediate removal of a horse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Notification of this petition has been sent to all Galway City Council members apart from Padraig Conneely as his email is not listed

He doesn't use email, he faxes everything. You can fax to 091 <by PM>.

Advertisement