Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Playstation Bargains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 luke208

TimTom wrote: »
    Just got a ps4 black slim + 2nd controller + Horizon Zero for 249.99 in Argos today. Sold Horizon Zero for 52 in some exchange shop, so total price was €198 for ps4 slim and 2nd controller.

Which Argos store did you get them from?
    I tried to buy them in Jervis yesterday but they didn't have the Horizon Zero Dawn copy in store yet...
    Also I can see the price is only valid until 7/3/2017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

On the otherhand their pricing for JRPGs is insane, e.g they've sold the last two entries of Bandai Namcos Tales series for €80 each at release, €20 more than psn.

Surely though it depends on their costs to supply those games in the first place. They're not pocketing €80 in profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Surely though it depends on their costs to supply those games in the first place. They're not pocketing €80 in profit.

Of course they're not pocketing €80 in profit, but the games shouldn't have a higher than normal wholesale cost either. It is available online for the usual £40-£45 from Amazon etc.

luke208 wrote: »
    Which Argos store did you get them from?
    I tried to buy them in Jervis yesterday but they didn't have the Horizon Zero Dawn copy in store yet...
    Also I can see the price is only valid until 7/3/2017

You can reserve it for collection and the price will be still valid. Most stores around Dublin state that it will arrive on Tuesday anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

For people who've used Press-Start for Irish PSN credit do you normally check out through Paypal or just directly through the HiPay portal? Tempted to pay the extra €2 with Paypal just for security.

I just used my Visa card, don't want to pay €2 extra as it cuts into the saving then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

I just used my Visa card, don't want to pay €2 extra as it cuts into the saving then.

Yeah, I used Paypal the last time because what I've seen online about HiPay (just the regular checkout) but if other people have been OK with it I might chance it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Of course they're not pocketing €80 in profit, but the games shouldn't have a higher than normal wholesale cost either. It is available online for the usual £40-£45 from Amazon etc.

There's a bunch of different reasons why the same product is sold at different prices in different places, from the deals they have with the suppliers, other overheads, exchange rates, diversity of products, etc.

I don't buy games in Gamestop because of the price. That's my rational decision as a consumer. But I don't know enough about their situation - and I suspect no one else here does either - to know why their prices are at a certain point. What we do know is that high street retail for this type of product is dying and that Gamestop must be doing something right to still be left standing. Calling them "gangsters" or what have you, seems incredibly harsh to me.

There's a bunch of different reasons why the same product is sold at different prices in different places, from the deals they have with the suppliers, other overheads, exchange rates, diversity of products, etc.

I don't buy games in Gamestop because of the price. That's my rational decision as a consumer. But I don't know enough about their situation - and I suspect no one else here does either - to know why their prices are at a certain point. What we do know is that high street retail for this type of product is dying and that Gamestop must be doing something right to still be left standing. Calling them "gangsters" or what have you, seems incredibly harsh to me.

GameStop survive on second hand trades and sales.

A lot of people avail of their trade get a new game for €10 offer. Most of those games would normally get €25-35 trade separately. You hand over those 2 games plus your €10, then GameStop sells both those games second hand for €50-60 earning the company significantly more than if you just paid the €70 for the new game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

The harsh part is when a global retail giant tries and rips off its customers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I'd imagine Gamestop are not paying more for their stock than the likes of Argos and Smyths... So nothing whatsoever would justify there outrageous pricing other than pure and utter greed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

I'd imagine Gamestop are not paying more for their stock than the likes of Argos and Smyths... So nothing whatsoever would justify there outrageous pricing other than pure and utter greed...

Well Argos and Smyths do have a lot more ways of making money then GameStop do

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Well Argos and Smyths do have a lot more ways of making money then GameStop do

Aren't they limited to the UK and Ireland though, whereas GameStop are global?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Back on topic please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jaydrum22

Hmv game credit working for anyone??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭maximoose

They are having problems with Three this week, hasn't been working since Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jaydrum22

Thanks for the info hope they get it working soon.

sweetie wrote: »
    been wondering how people use these...at a desk?

I use a folding work bench for my T150 . Aldi had them for about €15 a while ago . It makes a good ,solid base and is easy to store.

https://www.offerscheck.org/foldable-workbench/aldi/446185

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

jaydrum22 wrote: »
    Hmv game credit working for anyone??

Worked for me at the start of the week .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Skyrim €34.99 on psn..

https://psprices.com/region-ie/index

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Skyrim €34.99 on psn..

https://psprices.com/region-ie/index

Cheaper to buy it on disc though.

http://amzn.to/2m2MLzq

And you get a map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

sweetie wrote: »
    been wondering how people use these...at a desk?

I use one of these. Meets with the wife's approval as it folds under a bed when not in use. I got mine for €119 on sale.

http://www.playseatstore.com/challenge.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Just seen Mirror's Edge: Catalyst on sale for 12.99. Is it worth picking up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Just seen Mirror's Edge: Catalyst on sale for 12.99. Is it worth picking up?

I thought it was pretty good, played it for about 15 hours then had to give the xbox back.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭New Goat

Has tomb raider 20 year anniversary at 28 euro on the psn store been mentioned here already?.. If only I had the spare time to play it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

New Goat wrote: »
    Has tomb raider 20 year anniversary at 28 euro on the psn store been mentioned here already?.. If only I had the spare time to play it.

Such an incredible game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Amazon is now listing the "rarer than hen's teeth" Bloodborne Collector's Edition Strategy Guide as temporarily out of stock suggesting it's being reprinted and will be in stock at some point.

Anyways you can order it for the princely sum of £20 and Amazon will ship when it becomes available.

It's worth a punt methinks:

Bloodborne Collector's Edition Strategy Guide - Hardcover £19.99

Seeing as secondhand copies go for £100!!! or $374 on Amazon US!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Amazon is now listing the "rarer than hen's teeth" Bloodborne Collector's Edition Strategy Guide as temporarily out of stock suggesting it's being reprinted and will be in stock at some point.

To think that when I bought this I ordered 2 in error and they refunded me and told me to throw one in the bin!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement