Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula and variable processing software

Options
  • 19-06-2014 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

I have generated a straight-line equation for a set of standard data points, in Excel. It's given me the formula:

y = 1.439(x) + 0.0157 (R squared=0.9959)

I have a load of data for the y value that I need to solve for x. What's the simplest/quickest way of generating the results? Can it be done in Excel?

I know I can rearrange the formula above to:

x = (y-0.0157)/1.4239

It seems a bit laborious to have to use a calculator, and possibly error prone.

The y values are already on a spreadsheet. Is this easy enough to do in Excel? Or should I look elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

You've already got 99% of it done.

Let's say the y data is all in a single column from A1 to A100 (or whatever). You want the x values in column B, alongside its y value.

So in cell B1 you type

=(A1-0.0157)/1.4239

Then highlight cells B1 to B100 and press Ctrl-D to "fill down" the formula into the other cells. As it fills down, it will change A1 to A2, A3 etc.

More information on the fill down option: http://blog.contextures.com/archives/2011/08/31/quickly-copy-excel-formula-down/

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Or if you want to import the data to something like MATLAB you can do all sorts of crap with the data at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

Thanks, appreciate the replies. Matlab is a bit of a heavyweight for me, I'll stick with Excel, or OO/LO Calc.

I had a feeling it was a relatively easy thing to do in a spreadsheet, I'm just a bit rusty.

Advertisement