Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hayfever

Options
  • 19-06-2014 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi folks, so I am moving with the OH to Sydney in the next couple of months, and I have a question for any Hayfever sufferers who have made the move from Ireland to Australia.

I am lucky to not suffer from any Hayfever myself however the OH gets very severe bouts of it around this time of year. Really effects her eyes and has resulted in a number of sinus infections over the course of the last number of years.

So I am wondering is the pollen situation any different in Australia, have any Hayfever sufferers made the move from Ireland and found themselves cured or no longer as badly effected by the pollen in Australia?

Any information greatly received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pacalchim

Hi I recently moved over to brisbane in jan this year. I haven't had hayfever since I came over. Although I didn't suffer from it as bad as your OH by the sounds of it I would still get on a regular basis this time of year at home. I even stocked up on clarytn before I came over and thankfully haven't needed them. I work in construction so I'm outside all the time too. Having said that 1 in 5 Australians suffer from seasonal hayfever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I never had hayfever issues in Ireland but get it a bit here in late spring, early summer. Didn't know what it was at first but found myself getting runny eyes and coughing while riding past Carlton Gardens on way to work, took me a while to figure out what it bloody pollen from the park!

Afaik people who suffer from severe hayfever are allergic to specific pollen strains, so it may be that your oh is fine here, given that you will find very different pollen from Ireland. Probably no way to tell for sure until you get here...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 brianki

Appreciate the responses, ya without being very well in the know I was hoping that it was pollen strains that were the main issue, so fingers crossed she will be better off with the Aussie pollen, and hopefully I don't develop anything either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

i've had some hayfever. Intermittently, every other year, not every year. I have no idea why.. happened to me back home too.

Anyway, my partner does get some pretty bad sinus. Her friends too. Them being from Adelaide, and one of them now living in Perth, they've observed over the years that their own sinus problems are significantly worse when in and around Adelaide. Can only assume it's from local pollen or something else in the state. I don't have any real issues though.

tl;dr: don't come to South Australia if you suffer from Sinus. Apparently. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

I started suffering from hayfever when I moved to Sydney. I was in the inner West where there were trees and parks nearby.
    Just choose where you live carefully and you'll be fine I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Sinbad725

Hi Brianki,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.............I would suffer at home with hay fever during the summer but nothing compared to what I got last summer in Melbourne.
    Had to take antihistamines every day for months and it got really bad at one stage that I got a rash around both eyes which the doc says was the hay fever. Apparently there is an injection you can get that lasts for the year so i'm thinking of getting that for next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 brianki

That sounds absolutely horrendous, sorry to hear that.
    Sinbad725 wrote: »
    Apparently there is an injection you can get that lasts for the year so i'm thinking of getting that for next summer.

The injection then can you only get that at certain times of the year? Or is it ineffective once you are suffering from hayfever symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RayJ

I suffered from bad hay fever in Ireland but have very rarely suffered in Australia and I've spent most time in Sydney, Brisbane and even the QLD bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

i had a bout of what i think was hayfever in my first spring here about five years ago, nothing ever before or since that. weird.

Advertisement