Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holiday help- California

Options
  • 19-06-2014 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I am travelling to California next month, I am wondering can anyone assist me with my plans
    So far the plan is
    San Fran 4 nights.
    Yosemite area 2 nights (looking at Mammoth Lakes as accommodation is obviously gone in Yosemite, and I though ML looked like its between 2 state parks and might work)
    Back to Monteray and follow the coast, stop 2 nights.
    LA 2 nights
    San Diego 2/3 nights...Fly back to San Fran to head home.

What do ye think ???
    Can someone recommend a car hire company that is good and doesn't have one way fees (as I know they can be high).

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Having done the same trip a few times in the past I'd say that unless you know that you'll never be able to go to California again, I'd cut out LA and San Diego and leave them for another time. Both are worth seeing but in 12 days you're going to be spending a lot of time driving from place to place and not a whole lot of time for relaxing. I thought I'd only need 2 days in Yosemite but when I arrived realised that 2 weeks would have been more accurate :)

So the plan is viable but IMHO it's the equivalent of the stereotypical American tourist going to Paris and visiting everything in 5 days, ticking off the sites from their list as they go along.

AFAIK all companies will have a one-way fee or at least had when I last looked in 2012. If you wanted to alter the trip you could always fly into Las Vegas and drive from there to San Fran and there isn't a drop off fee when you hire in Nevada and return in CA.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

I think it might be a stretch to get SD in if you want a bit of time to relax and don't feel rushed going everywhere. Also, you will not even scratch the surface in LA if only there for 2 days.
    Its my favourite place in California and is so big and diverse it takes time to see any amount of it.
    As much as I love SD I'd cut it out and spend more time in LA. Maybe two nights near Loz Feliz or Hollywood and 2 nights by the beach in Santa Monica or Venice.
    Also, be sure to go to Santa Barbara for a night on your coastal drive and do not miss Habit Burger Grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I agree with the other posters. I'd cut San diego and add that time to LA.

That way you could also save a few $$ if you drove back to SF from LA on I-5 rather than flying. Its about a 6 hour drive on I-5, big wide easy Interstate Freeway. Given how long it takes to fly now, it may even be quicker than taking a domestic shuttle flight between LA and SF if you include getting to the airport in LA and early check in etc etc. Well maybe not, but close anyway.

You'd see the central valley too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Thanks everyone
    I suppose we are trying to visit as many places as possible, even if they are just flying visits..we have never been to the west coast before, and who knows, we may never get back again (fingers crossed we will obviously).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I'd agree with the above - cut out San Diego and concentrate on SF/Yosemite and LA. Power up the I-5 to SF and home.

One thing about the I-5 though...it is a long tedious road through pretty boring country, and up there with the worst smelling stretch of road I've ever been on, due to the cattle ranches/slaughtering houses along the central valley. Having done the trip twice here are the recommendations if you are driving it

1. Switch drivers every so often if you can - we switched every 2 hours
    2. In & Out Burger at Ketterman city is a god-send. It's also a right of passage for the I-5 trip - it also helps out the local economy, all the employees are resident of a local town that has 2 paved roads and no street lamps
    3. The trucks are monsters, overtake them whenever you can
    4. Speed limits seem to be taken loosely, every so often we were being pushed along at 90.

• Advertisement

solerina wrote: »
    Thanks everyone
    I suppose we are trying to visit as many places as possible, even if they are just flying visits..we have never been to the west coast before, and who knows, we may never get back again (fingers crossed we will obviously).

Makes perfect sense.

LA is americas second city though and its huge compared to SF and SD, so if you really want to go to San Diego and dont mind a fast visit I'd trade a night there for an extra night in LA.

Otherwise I think you have a great itinerary. It'll be fun.

solerina wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a car hire company that is good and doesn't have one way fees (as I know they can be high).

If you return the car in another state the charges can be high but I dont think they're too bad if its within the same state.

(Although I'd highly recommend making the drive back up to SF and avoiding the whole hassle of a domestic flight.)

Check each companies website too, because americans love their deals, and specials, and sales. The mains ones are... avis, hertz, budget, dollar, alamo, national, thrifty, enterprise. I think thats about all?

I'd agree with the above - cut out San Diego and concentrate on SF/Yosemite and LA. Power up the I-5 to SF and home.

One thing about the I-5 though...it is a long tedious road through pretty boring country, and up there with the worst smelling stretch of road I've ever been on, due to the cattle ranches/slaughtering houses along the central valley. Having done the trip twice here are the recommendations if you are driving it

1. Switch drivers every so often if you can - we switched every 2 hours
    2. In & Out Burger at Ketterman city is a god-send. It's also a right of passage for the I-5 trip - it also helps out the local economy, all the employees are resident of a local town that has 2 paved roads and no street lamps
    3. The trucks are monsters, overtake them whenever you can
    4. Speed limits seem to be taken loosely, every so often we were being pushed along at 90.

Good advice. Its a cool drive if you've never been in the west before, it gives you an experience of the long straight flat american interstates. And six hours isnt very long.

Although the OP cant do this if he's in San Diego, its a little far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Good advice. Its a cool drive if you've never been in the west before, it gives you an experience of the long straight flat american interstates. And six hours isnt very long.

Although the OP cant do this if he's in San Diego, its a little far.

We did San Diego to SF in one day, just over eight hours and was actually a lot of fun. The weather was good, the roads pretty clear and we only stopped for gas and food

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah as mentioned you're covering a lot of ground. Everyone is different in terms of what they want from a trip so do your own research before making your mind up. Here's my 2c based on your itinerary.

Ditch San Diego. It's more hassle than it's worth.

Spend the minimal amount of time in L.A. as possible. It's a kip. Pick in advance what you want to do there and time that as your trip.

Maximise the amount of time you have in Yosemite. You won't regret it. It's an amazing place and it's huge. If you're the outdoorsy type you won't regret it.

San Fran is an overrated city IMO but then again I'm there a lot. Alcatraz (book it now don't wait til you get there and do the night tour) is a must. An open top bus will cover most of the rest.

I recommend checking out Sonoma and her vinyards. It's beautiful there and far nicer than Napa. Petaluma in Sonoma is a cool town to visit.

Drive the Pacific Coast (highway 1). The best part of the drive is from Monterey to Santa Barbara. Windy roads and views galore. Just top up your fuel tank before you leave.

Monterey is beautiful plus it's next to Pacific Grove and Carmel. I love Monterey.

California is a great place. Enjoy it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement