Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uruguay Vs England 8pm (RTE/BBC/ITV) Group D

• 19-06-2014 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

1352.jpg

Both sides under pressure to qualify for the round of 16, win or go home.

Arena Corinthians, Sao Paulo
    Kick-off: 20.00 BST.
    TV: ITV. Uruguay (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Muslera; Caceres, Lugano, Godin, Pereira; Gargano, Arevalo; Rodriguez, Forlan, Suárez; Cavani.
    Doubts: Suárez (knee).

England (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Hart; Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines; Gerrard, Wilshere; Welbeck, Rooney, Sterling; Sturridge.
    Out: Oxlade-Chamberlain (knee).

Referee: Carlos Velasco Carballo (Spain).

Obligatory Random Facts
    • England are winless against Uruguay at the World Cup. They've met twice: in 1954 (Uruguay won 4-2 in the quarter-finals) and 1966 (0-0).
    • England recorded their highest ever World Cup pass completion rate (91%) in the opening match vs Italy (1966-2014).
    • Wayne Rooney is yet to score a World Cup goal. This will be his 10th game, if he plays.
    • England have never conceded 2+ goals in three successive World Cup games before.
    • Daniel Sturridge has scored three goals in his last four appearances for England.
    • Rooney created more chances than any other player in the England vs Italy game (3, including one assist).
    • Uruguay have picked up a red card in two of their last four games at the World Cup.

[IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/{"default":{"load":"wait","src":"<a href=http://db2.stb.s-msn.com/i/5f/e1c07253e91f546b3c4bb1baaf28d9/_h353_w628_m6_ofalse_lfalse.png&quot target=_blank>[/img]http://db2.stb.s-msn.com/i/5f/e1c07253e91f546b3c4bb1baaf28d9/_h353_w628_m6_ofalse_lfalse.png&quot</a>;}}

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

draw

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

2-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

When people say it's a must win game, it actually isn't.

3 points could actually get a team out of this group. Let's say England lose tonight and Italy win all games to get 9 points.

Uruguay will finish on 3 points.

If England beat Costa Rica then 3 teams will finish on 3 points and it will come down to goal difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Last time England had a good team was when Bobby Robson managed them.

Draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Depends which defence is worse, rather than which attack is better I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Anyone have a price for the SAS to score tonight?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

England 2-1

Suarez lengthy lay off (for him it certainly was as) still makes Uruguay questionable despite his return, that plus they're missing most of their defence. England to me anyway played some decent football despite Rooney (yeah he got an assist, but that aside he was cack) and Gerrard being going MIA against the Italians. So if one, if not both show up for any decent period of time, they should be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Lugano being injured is a blessing in disguise for Uruguay against this England attack.

I'll go 2-2 in this one.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

kfallon wrote: »

Sturridge Anytime Goalscorer is best price 7/4.
    Suarez Anytime Goalscorer is best price 15/8.

Some books will probably do a special on both to score anytime I imagine, though from a quick glance, I can't see any such offer for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

3-2 to England. Rooney to finally come good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Obviously when Suarez is not fully fit it means Uruguay is not at its best but when you are missing key defenders and then Maxi Pereira goes out and gets a needless red card it really puts a team under pressure.

Uruguay depend upon a solid defense and they won't have that tonight. England to win it 3-0/3-1 imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Some books will probably do a special on both to score anytime I imagine, though from a quick glance, I can't see any such offer for the time being.

Tempted to do Sturidge on his own now, think he'll come out of this World Cup with his reputation enhanced even further despite how England fare!

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I think England can win this tonight

The Uruguay defense is very suspect and I expect England to keep up the attacking start they made against Italy

Uruguay have some good players but I think a bit like spain they peaked in the previous tournamant

With a fully fit Suarez I would give Uruguay a much better chance but I don't think he is anywhere near his best

Might look at an England win with a Rooney/Sturridge anytime combo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I think England will get the win they need.

FT will be 2-1 after a nervy display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

England should win this handy enough. 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

2-1 England. Uruguay aren't great. They've gone back a lot since the last World Cup and winning the Copa America in 2011. They struggled in qualifying and were very bad against Costa Rica. England's pace up front will be enough to win it.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

7/1 on coral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I have a feeling England will win tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Really hope we win tonight. Cmon England!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Suarez will do something terrible to an England player and be sent off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Does world cup groups come down to goal difference or head to head?

NoelJ wrote: »
    Does world cup groups come down to goal difference or head to head?

GD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Suarez will do something terrible to an England player and be sent off

He might make Joe Hart cry by scoring a few goals :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Tonight's the night for a goalkeeping howler from England.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

GD

Ah if its goal difference then a draw for England is perfect. Then go for the win against Costa Rica.

NoelJ wrote: »
    Ah if its goal difference then a draw for England is perfect. Then go for the win against Costa Rica.

Perfect would be a thumping win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Really looking forward to this, I have to fancy England to win, Costa Rica were perceived to be the weakest team in the group and they battered Uruguay. With or without Suarez I reckon they have too much..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

vidor wrote: »
    Tonight's the night for a goalkeeping howler from England.

gk howler = gowler.

"Hart, unbelievable, what a gowler"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

No lugano, does that mean Seb Coates will start? I reckon England are OK here, the real cup final will Costa Rica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

world class Rooney with 3 world cups and 0 goals to score a brace!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

4-0 to England, Wayne Rooney to score a hat trick then get sent off.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

....and if the same Wayne Rooney we have seen for some time now shows up tonight ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

....and if the same Wayne Rooney we have seen for some time now shows up tonight ????
    maybe my sarcasm didnt come across to well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Come on England!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I reckon England will win this. If Rooney plays up top he will score too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

England can live with a draw, Uruguay really need the win.

Suarez is not going to be match fit and going from the Costa Rica game the rest of the front guys are pretty toothless. England will be happy to sit back on break with speed. Except for Suarez, Uruaguay can't really threaten them

England will have far too much going forward so Uruguay will ship at least two goals and I don't see them getting more than that.

England 3-1 I reckon. Will Rooney have a good game, but I reckon this will be England easiest game of the competition.

Expect England to win, massive overreaction in the UK media and a constant refrain of 'are they good enough to win it?" during the rest of the week before getting beaten in the next round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Suarez will have a sizeable chip on his shoulder after the years of abuse the English media have given him.

Would expect and rather England win but if they lose hopefully it's to a bit of pure genius by Suarez. Poetic justice at its finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Uruguay will play very deep, to counter England's pace and to make up for the fact that they have none at all defensively.

If England score first then it could be a cricket score as the Uruguayan defence will be left exposed by the rest of the team having to play offensively.

If Uruguay score first it could be a very long night for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I didn't think Uruguay were up to much in their first match. Gonna go out on a limb and say 2-0 England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

If England can get out of this group, there's no telling how far they could go with a bit of luck and bottle (something that seems to desert them, it has to be said), because no team at this World Cup looks invincible as of yet. Sure, the Germans look like their usual clinical efficient selves but they usually run out of gas by the semi final for some reason (probably doesn't help that this is where they meet real quality). Brazil are distinctly looking to be lacking in substance and are looking to be a bit of a house of cards. England's neighbour group for the round of 16 contains four decent sides, but no one team that you could say would have England's beating. It's interesting to think that if England had their head in the right place, they could actually realise their dream of making a good fist of a WC for once, and Dunphy could realise nobody's dream of him being a sort of sweary cross-dresser.

That's all moot if they mess up tonight, although, as pointed out, they could even make it through with just 3 points but such a limping progression would not inspire a whole lot of confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Ravenid

Who do the Top two from Group D face in the knockout rounds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

England 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

briany wrote: »
    If England can get out of this group, there's no telling how far they could go with a bit of luck and bottle (something that seems to desert them, it has to be said), because no team at this World Cup looks invincible as of yet. Sure, the Germans look like their usual clinical efficient selves but they usually run out of gas by the semi final for some reason (probably doesn't help that this is where they meet real quality). Brazil are distinctly looking to be lacking in substance and are looking to be a bit of a house of cards. England's neighbour group for the round of 16 contains four decent sides, but no one team that you could say would have England's beating. It's interesting to think that if England had their head in the right place, they could actually realise their dream of making a good fist of a WC for once, and Dunphy could realise nobody's dream of him being a sort of sweary cross-dresser.

That's all moot if they mess up tonight, although, as pointed out, they could even make it through with just 3 points but such a limping progression would not inspire a whole lot of confidence.

If they get out of the group as runners up they will most likely face fancied Columbia in the next round. If they manage to overturn them they will most likely meet Brazil or Chile in the quarters. Can't honestly see them winning against either of those 3 sides. But in the unlikely even that they do they would probably be up against German or France in the Semis. Hard way getting there, IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Ravenid wrote: »
    Who do the Top two from Group D face in the knockout rounds?

Ivory Coast, Colombia, Japan or Greece

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

England 4-0.

kfallon wrote: »

Both to score is 7/1 in PP

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

i refuse to get caught up in this bandwagon again. uruguay will win tonight. lump at 3.9 on betfair. remortgage if necessary i cant stress this enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

DubDani wrote: »
    If they get out of the group as runners up they will most likely face fancied Columbia in the next round. If they manage to overturn them they will most likely meet Brazil or Chile in the quarters. Can't honestly see them winning against either of those 3 sides. But in the unlikely even that they do they would probably be up against German or France in the Semis. Hard way getting there, IMO.

Chile would be the most fearsome opponents there based on what I've seen. They look really hungry. Brazil can obviously play but are an implosion risk by all accounts and Columbia's WC record is fairly weak, so it introduces the chance of second round jitters with the expectation that'll be resting on their team. This is mainly speculation, of course, because it is indeed a hard road ahead of England IF they even manage to get out of their group.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I want Uruguay to win, but I think England will stuff them to be honest.

unplayable wrote: »
    i refuse to get caught up in this bandwagon again. uruguay will win tonight. lump at 3.9 on betfair. remortgage if necessary i cant stress this enough.

Racing post are telling everyone to go out and sell themselves and put it on Engerlund.

England could not beat Honduras FFS

• Advertisement
Advertisement