Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uruguay Vs England 8pm (RTE/BBC/ITV) Group D

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

It's hard to be critical of Rooney as he has Welbeck behind him who is getting sucked back.
    Sterling is getting double tagged on the right and Sturridge looks off the boil, so supply has been limited.

Gerrard has been keeping the defensive side of midfield together with Henderson so his threat is nullified.

Johnson has been Johnson - useless.

Big test ahead and Rooney needs to now show his character keep them busier and allow the midfield to come into it in their final 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Umadbrah?

How the f**k has Donal Skehan got an ad in one of the biggest world cup matches... Thats a waste of advertising space..

Even I could cook what he cooks.... "Tonight we will be making what is called a "SAND-WICH" "...

I saw an ad for moy park the other day too

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

Hitchens wrote: »
    all right so, let's listen to some bullshít from Dunphy :pac:

Dunphy during the ad break : The England players are ****ing dreading losing this game now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Baines is playing well within himself.

Might as well be playing with himself, he's been absolute ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

mike65 wrote: »
    I can't wait for this to end really (whenever it does) cos there should be P45s for Rooney, Baines, Gerrard, Johnson, Lampard and one or two others with regard to Euro 2016. Start fresh - no one over 28. Build with fresh eyes and legs and youngsters who are probably being better coached then their recent predecessors.

England Manager picks players on reputations rather than form or suitability to tactics shocker!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

They only substitution that will help England would be getting rid of Hodgson at half-time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Barry for Gerrard
    Cole for Baines

I can't see how that would have a positive impact on the game. England need goals - how will that help ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Gerrard been very lack.lustre tonight..
    Rooney been, at least imo, englands best tonight..
    But no doubt he'll be blamed anyway and gerrard will be all forgiven..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »
    If Welbeck shot at Kennedy, he'd miss.

Who's that tumbling down the grassy knoll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

As a neutral, that was one of the worst 45 minutes of football in this WC so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Shows people shouldn't judge a team by one game. Uruguay are a great team.

Vast overstatement here. They've been decent, England have been largely dreadful. Its essential a counter attacking team and this game suits them far more than the Costa Rica game. I've been distinctly unimpressed with both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Knex. wrote: »
    Far more pressing issues. Think that would be a daft substitution, myself.

Think Welbeck should come off for Lallana. Get Sterling central, go with 2 up top, Sturridge and Rooney.

In fairness Gerard is non existent again they need some life through the middle he and Henderson are too deep and too uninvolved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Umadbrah? wrote: »
    I saw an ad for moy park the other day too
    Brazilian parent company. Their ad alternates with the Moy Park one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

England's best chance is a set piece... If Uruguay werent so tall at the back and commanding in the air, I'm sure they would have scored from a corner or free already...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This is a real Hodgsen team.

Good players set up with no real purpose.

How he got the job is beyond me, watch him change very little in second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Milner for Welbeck at half time maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

no Guile in the middle of the field......when did he retire? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Hodgson needs to make some big decisions.

Gerrard and Welbeck need to go.

Have Henderson playing more defenisively, bring Lallana on and give Barkley a bit of a free role.

Defensively they've been bad but haven't done a whole lot wrong in truth in terms of attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Soups123 wrote: »
    it's amazing how the media plants a seed and so many people let it grow
    Works for the media and managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just watched the goal again
    Six England player plus the keeper against Cavani and Suarez and BANG ..... Goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Imagine you are in the English dressing room right now listening to Hodgson .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

mike65 wrote: »
    I can't wait for this to end really (whenever it does) cos there should be P45s for Rooney, Baines, Gerrard, Johnson, Lampard and one or two others with regard to Euro 2016. Start fresh - no one over 27/28. Build with fresh eyes and legs and youngsters who are probably being better coached than their recent predecessors.

Bit harsh on Lampard, at least wait until he fcuks up first before handing him his p45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Uruguay have shown a lot more balls today.

Quality is still pretty iffy.

It's a scrappy match with neither really looking dangerous.

I don't think the tweak in formation can explain how much poorer Welbeck, Sturridge and Sterling have looked.

To beat this kind of team Uruguay have put out you'd need to either be able to shut them out until they get tired or have a lot more quality in the front 2/3 of the pitch than England have shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

As a neutral, that was one of the worst 45 minutes of football in this WC so far.

Colombia and Ivory Coast earlier on was a bit of a dud. First half anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

If Rooney could just keep turning the two CB's and stop standing in hole waiting for it to feet to add on to it - then it might open them up more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Uruguay should be down to 10.

Gerard should be off, should have been off against Italy, but the manager hasn't the balls, unfortunately.

Rooney looking slightly brighter, Sterling started ok then faded a bit, Welbeck not doing much so Lallana needs to get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

That_Guy wrote: »
    Colombia and Ivory Coast earlier on was a bit of a dud. First half anyway.

Second half came to light

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Vast overstatement here. They've been decent, England have been largely dreadful. Its essential a counter attacking team and this game suits them far more than the Costa Rica game. I've been distinctly unimpressed with both teams.

Nothing wrong with that - they are playing to their strengths especially with the two guys up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

paulmazz4 wrote: »
    Sorry but it's very very poor. Same rubbish play by England. Their passing is terrible. The little black fella thinks he's ****ing Ronaldo taking on three at a time. Your good..but not quite carling I dispare with the England side. Thank **** I follow rugby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

That_Guy wrote: »
    Hodgson needs to make some big decisions.
    Gerrard and Welbeck need to go.

I agree, but I doubt Hodgson has the marbles to take Gerrard off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The little black fella thinks he's ****ing Ronaldo taking on three at a time.
    WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Sorry but it's very very poor. Same rubbish play by England. Their passing is terrible. The little black fella thinks he's ****ing Ronaldo taking on three at a time. Your good..but not quite carling I dispare with the England side. Thank **** I follow rugby
    there's the beautiful game and then there's......................rugby! :p

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Imagine you are in the English dressing room right now listening to Hodgson .......

England have not won a game in the World Cup from a losing position since Cameroon back in 1990.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Hardly, it was infinitely better than nigeria iran and the first half of ivory coast colombia earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I currently have more faith in Uruguay winning this 3 nil, than I do for England getting back into it. Would love to be wrong, though.

England need to press and push forward, and leaving Cavani, Suarez and Rodriguez that more free on the counter will be their undoing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

murpho999 wrote: »
    This is a real Hodgsen team.

Good players set up with no real purpose.

How he got the job is beyond me, watch him change very little in second half.
    No one else daft enough to want it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

Rooney off - Lambert on
    Wellbeck off - Lallana on
    Hendo or Stevie G off - Barkley on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Brady doing his lottery there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think Liam was doing the sudoku there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Is Brady marking exam papers? I didnt know any of the Arsenal lads sat the leaving cert...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

WTF

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Greetings Nigerian prince or are you an Iranian sheikh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

Damnit, I have a tenner on England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Adrian Chile's is an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

Looks like liam was doing the crossword there

Chiles on ITV - England not dirty enough

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Umadbrah?

Lets be honest here rugby is for the unathletic kids so they can play a sport as kids. All the athletes play GAA or football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

rwg wrote: »
    Rooney off - Lambert on
    Wellbeck off - Lallana on
    Hendo or Stevie G off - Barkley on
    more or less agree but I think Rooney looks up for it - I'd take Sturridge off instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

And thank **** you dont bring your casual racism into the rugby forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Hahahah Giles just said RE: Gerrard

"He hasn't got his tackle in"

• Advertisement
Advertisement