Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uruguay Vs England 8pm (RTE/BBC/ITV) Group D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

brevity wrote: »
    I was thinking this myself. Moyes made dumb comments about Suarez before a Merseyside derby and Suarez goes and scores a bunch of goals. Hodgson makes dumb comments about Suarez before this game and Suarez scores a bunch of goals.

How do you explain the games where managers said nothing and he scored a bunch of goals?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Is this the first time (more than likely) England will fail to make it out of the group stages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

No because C Rica and Uruguay could also get 6 points

Plus who's to know Costa Rica might take points from England, Uruguay will go all out I think Italy will too but once they find out England are winning they will play it safe both teams.

Is this the first time (more than likely) England will fail to make it out of the group stages?

1982 they didn't make it out of the group stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Are they out now then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

They went out of the group stages in Euro 88 under Robson.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    How do you explain the games where managers said nothing and he scored a bunch of goals?

He was logged into the SF the night before those games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Liam O wrote: »
    1 goal and 1 assist so far for Rooney. Fùck the haters, clearly their best player. Too bad the manager is identically shutting him around to accommodate inferior players.

1 goal in 3 world cups. For his obvious talent he has been an utter failure on the international stage. He has spent his career been shunted around the place to accommodate better players not one manager knows where to play him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Looper007 wrote: »

They did in '82, topped their group. 1958 would have been the last time.

• Advertisement

fr336 wrote: »
    Are they out now then?

No tomorrow will tell us for certain, unless Italy do them a favour and win twice basically it's in Italy's hand and theirs to beat Costa Rica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

fr336 wrote: »
    Are they out now then?

No. Having lost by only 1 goal in each game they technically are still in it but only if they beat Costa Rica of course and I'd not bet a cent on that. Italy need to win obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

No, but its the first time since 1958, when they came third behind eventual winners Brazil, and a Soviet Union side with Lev Yashin.

They've failed to qualify for the World Cup altogether before though, which is obviously worse.

They did in '82, topped their group. 1958 would have been the last time.

Two groups back then so got mixed up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Not true. We did get out of the initial group stage. Indeed, from memory, we got knocked out of that competition without losing a game (a secondary group phase in those dim and distant days).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Paully D wrote: »
    The strange thing is, despite losing their first two games, England will probably be going through (Italy wins v Costa Rica and Uruguay would be expected plus an England win v Costa Rica).

Uruguay must really be ruing not even taking a point from Costa Rica now.

They've got Suarez back in the fold again and he'll be that bit sharper on Tuesday thanks to the near 90 minutes he got tonight. I also have a sneaking feeling that Pirlo might run out of gas before then as well. Either way a win for Italy over Uruguay is far from certain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Liam O wrote: »
    Wait, are you telling me a winger is better on the wing than a centre forward? No way!
    No, I was saying Sterling was better at 10 on Saturday than Rooney was at 10 tonight even against a better defense. Both were less effective out wide but the threat Sterling offered through the middle could have given Uruguay fits tonight. I'm not complaining since as soon as I saw Rooney was at 10 I put my money on Uruguay draw no bet at 7/4. He was brutal for the first half, improved in the second but not enough to justify moving Sterling after how well he did there vs. the Italians.

blueser wrote: »
    Not true. We did get out of the initial group stage. Indeed, from memory, we got knocked out of that competition without losing a game (a secondary group phase in those dim and distant days).

:pac: I had to check it in my world Cup book, it was before my time. Wasn't it agaisn't Spain when a half fit Keegan missed a sitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

Italy will beat Costa Rica but that Uruguay game do you reckon both teams might take it easy or you reckon they go all out to win?

If Italy beat Costa Rica they'll need a point against Uruguay to top the group. Italy being, well, Italy, you wouldn't expect them to kill themselves. Uruguay will also be safe with a point, unless Costa Rica get something against England (which you wouldn't rule out either.) Odds against England squeezing through seem fairly long to me.

They've got Suarez back in the fold again and he'll be that bit sharper on Tuesday thanks to the near 90 minutes he got tonight. I also have a sneaking feeling that Pirlo might run out of gas before then as well. Either way a win for Italy over Uruguay is far from certain.

I'm not even certain England can win agaisn't Costa Rica or even Italy will. I hope Italy do and it will lead to a great final group games, which is what the world cup is great at. Uruguay/Italy will be a nervy Affair, I wouldn't be surprised if they played out a dour 0-0, enough for Italy to top the group if they beat Costa Rica. England will have to change the team around for the next game and go all out agaisn't Costa Rica, doubt it be enough though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

:pac: I had to check it in my world Cup book, it was before my time. Wasn't it agaisn't Spain when a half fit Keegan missed a sitter
    Yep; a diving header from a set up by Trever Brooking, IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

The awkward moment when Luis Suarez has saved more shots in the world cup than Joe Hart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hitchens wrote: »
    what was the doc supposed to do? the man looks about 80 ffs :p

Well I don't mean physically restrain but one word to the manager and the player is off should be the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

When Woy Hodgson took on the England job he said 'Give me 2years and I'll have us playing like Spain".

Well done sir !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

On the match, surprised England didn't shut up shop and play for a draw when equalising. Understand momentum was with them but if they got the draw then that would have given them a massive advantage to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I like Rooney I'm a fan of what he's done at United, but he had 4 or 5 chances tonight, takes 1, Suarez has 2 and takes both. Difference between very good and absolute world class, which Suarez undoubtedly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I like Rooney I'm a fan of what he's done at United, but he had 4 or 5 chances tonight, takes 1, Suarez has 2 and takes both. Difference between very good and absolute world class, which Suarez undoubtedly is.

Difference between a top and a top top top player :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

When Woy Hodgson took on the England job he said 'Give me 2years and I'll have us playing like Spain".

Well done sir !

True to his word Spain have gone sh1t and well England are sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The fact Hodgson has Welbeck in his starting World Cup eleven, never mind squad says all you need to know.

Not a chance Welbeck will be getting a look in under Van Gaal at Man U because Van Gaal is a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

monkey9 wrote: »
    The fact Hodgson has Welbeck in his starting World Cup eleven, never mind squad says all you need to know.

Not a chance Welbeck will be getting a look in under Van Gaal at Man U because Van Gaal is a winner.

I'd be surprised if he keeps him, he simply isn't good enough to be a man utd player. He has it in him to be a very good player but lacks confidence to step it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Made no sense whatsoever. Would have been a lot easier to accommodate Sturridge, Rooney and Sterling in positions they were comfortable with if he had Lallana playing. Sturridge and Wellbeck found themselves in the same areas far too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

I made three great chances for Rooney, but I take your point. He was Englands best tonight though, along with Sturridge (when he wasn't throwing himself to the ground)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd be surprised if he keeps him, he simply isn't good enough to be a man utd player. He has it in him to be a very good player but lacks confidence to step it up.
    Agree he has all that you need and for me its that he overthinks things too often. He doesn't use his instinct enough.

He will learn in time but its a question of whether waiting for that to happen is worth it to a club like United. At some stage though the penny will drop and he will become a fantastic player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

This is incorrect. Did you miss the one that Suarez shanked out towards the corner flag as it broke to him relatively unmarked early(ish) in the second half?

Every striker misses chances. I would have back Cavani, Rooney or Sturridge to score a similar chance to the one Suarez had for his second.

I thought Rooney did pretty well tonight, and was one of the better English players along with Sturridge. With a better setup, I think England would have won that game (I've had numerous rants about how ineffective Welbeck is on the left wing).

To pin it on Rooney vs Suarez is an oversimplification IMHO.

Yeah Well thats kind of what I meant. Thats not to discredit Rooney, he's a fantastic player, I'm glad he's got his WC goal so the British media can STFU a bit, but what I'm saying that he's not in the top tier with Ronaldo, Messi are (and very few players are) but Suarez almost certainly becoming that way.

Was he playing a bit too deep tonight? Perhaps he is better as an out and out target man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Wanna bet? I'll go 20 Euro that Welbeck plays inat least half the league games next season if you want?

v3ttel wrote: »
    I thought Rooney did pretty well tonight, and was one of the better English players along with Sturridge. With a better setup, I think England would have won that game (I've had numerous rants about how ineffective Welbeck is on the left wing).

To pin it on Rooney vs Suarez is an oversimplification IMHO.

I wasn't expecting Suarez to score from that effort, Rooney had a few goal scoring opportunities (even in the first game) where it was almost "and he must score". I'm not trying to demonise Rooney, I'm trying to praise Suarez showing you how good of a player is in respect to a good player like Rooney. A lot of teams have a Rooney in the world, but very few have a Suarez, which is what I'm getting at.

Was he playing a bit too deep tonight? Perhaps he is better as an out and out target man.

I wouldn't trust him up forward to be fair Tipp. He's unreliable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

England had enough chances to win that game. Rooney shouldn't be giving Muslera a hope in hell from 6 yards out. Sturridge looked like he was kicking a medicine ball for half the game and a balloon for the other half.
    Suarez took his chances very well and that was the difference.

People underestimating uruguay in here. With suarez back, and needing to prove themselves after the opening defeat, Ive money on 3-1 and 3-2 uruguay.

Sneaky 5er on Suarez first goal as well.

First goalscorer bet came in, and money back on the other 2. I knew people weren't giving uruguay enough credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

suarez was excellent if england go out god help him i can see the abuse he will get... he has a great attitude now and he is world class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

v3ttel wrote: »
    This is incorrect. Did you miss the one that Suarez shanked out towards the corner flag as it broke to him relatively unmarked early(ish) in the second half?
    Suarez even failed to score from that corner - garbage, I tell you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Rooney was probably England's best player tonight, he kept trying, and he got the equaliser. Gerrard didn't have any impact. They didn't man mark Suarez for some reason - Hodgsons fault.

Also Hart was a bag of nerves, which didn't help the English defenders generally I'd say. Why does Hart get away with it, what's goin on there? He's not good enough to be England's 'keeper and is definitely not good enough to be Man City's 'keeper. Surely Man City will get a more reliable 'keeper this summer, given the money they spend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

There is no way England will get out of this group now if they do I'll wear a dress...........wait has this been said before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Would have to question Woy starting Welbeck out on the wing at international level.................surely they have a winger in the country that could have played there.

I would have started Milner tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

suarez was excellent if england go out god help him i can see the abuse he will get... he has a great attitude now and he is world class

Suarez wont care about that kind of abuse, but he might go to Spain anyway.

• suarez was excellent if england go out god help him i can see the abuse he will get... he has a great attitude now and he is world class
    Agree, he really has turned his attitude around since 2 years ago. Was very impressed that he managed to perform today and finish like he did after a knee operation. I had doubts about him because he had yet to prove himself on the WC stage but 2 goals can't be denied.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Agree, he really has turned his attitude around since 2 years ago. Was very impressed that he managed to perform today and finish like he did after a knee operation. I had doubts about him because he had yet to prove himself on the WC stage but 2 goals can't be denied.

• Advertisement
Advertisement