Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uruguay Vs England 8pm (RTE/BBC/ITV) Group D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

murpho999 wrote: »
    Uruguay playing long balls up to Suarez is a poor tactic playing straight into England's hands.

:pac:

• Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Wow 1 minute?

Get your video sorted out first before you attempt to have a go at me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

:pac:

Laugh but the punt was not a direct ball to Suarez. Gerrard headed it on so it's a different move to my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Was he playing a bit too deep tonight? Perhaps he is better as an out and out target man.

I think he's better as an out and out substitute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Wow 1 minute?

He was one of the best players at the last World Cup. You saying he didn't perform at the 2010 World Cup is bizarre & probably shows u have an agenda against the player or u must have missed that World Cup?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Wow 1 minute?

Are you serious?

What do you mean video sorted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Agree, he really has turned his attitude around since 2 years ago. Was very impressed that he managed to perform today and finish like he did after a knee operation. I had doubts about him because he had yet to prove himself on the WC stage but 2 goals can't be denied.
    In 2010 he had 3 goals and a few assists also.

I am curious what your opinion of Messi is, on that note?

• MD1990 wrote: »
    He was one of the best players at the last World Cup. You saying he didn't perform at the 2010 World Cup is bizarre & probably shows u have an agenda against the player or u must have missed that World Cup?
    Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Are you serious?

What do you mean video sorted?
    So cheating is something to be proud of? It was disgusting in my opinion in 2010, and I'm not opening a debate about how I feel about it so don't even bother because your not going to change it.

I'm acknowledging that he has changed his attitude over the last year and a bit and I'm giving him nothing but praise, very impressed with his season for Liverpool and tonight. That's all.

So cheating is something to be proud of? It was disgusting in my opinion in 2010, and I'm not opening a debate about how I feel about it so don't even bother because your not going to change it.

I'm acknowledging that he has changed his attitude over the last year and a bit and I'm giving him nothing but praise, very impressed with his season for Liverpool and tonight. That's all.
    You said he didn't perform at the 2010 World Cup though. You didn't mention his handball.

Moving the goalposts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I like Rooney I'm a fan of what he's done at United, but he had 4 or 5 chances tonight, takes 1, Suarez has 2 and takes both. Difference between very good and absolute world class, which Suarez undoubtedly is.

Suarez had 4 or 5 chances as well tbh

comparing them on one match is pointless anyway

If you look at their time in the league Rooney's goal per game ratio is .5 and Suarez's is .6, both impressive but Rooney has spent at a guess 60 or 70 percent, maybe more, of his career not as the main striker really, between playing in the hole, LW, RW and CM. Suarez has had a lot more time as the main man in the team.

You said he didn't perform at the 2010 World Cup though. You didn't mention his handball.
    Ah hear lad, your relentless I will give your that, your picking at straws for another debate on the forum because your a Liverpool fan, as with Nuri, very predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

MD1990 wrote: »

So what about the handball? It was a professional foul, he did it and suffered the consequences. The same as pulling someone back to prevent a break which is applauded by fans and commentators. How many dives where there tonight? How many in an average match? Sturridge had at least two that the ref saw and ignored.

In my opinion if you do something and receive the listed punishment then it isn't cheating. Cheating is when you dive and get a free kick/penalty when the rules clearly state you shouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Ah hear lad, your relentless I will give your that, your picking at straws for another debate on the forum because your a Liverpool fan, as with Nuri, very predictable.

Don't be too proud to admit you were wrong. No one's going to laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

He's bulked up a fair bit since then.

• Don't be too proud to admit you were wrong. No one's going to laugh.
    #3 Join in on the fun ;)

Your just being proven wrong about Suarez's performance's at the 2010 World Cup(u said he was uproven at the World Cup) so u changed it to say his handball was disgraceful. Your the one clutching at straws. Should probably just admit u were wrong tbh.

Your just being proven wrong about Suarez's performance's at the 2010 World Cup(u said he was uproven at the World Cup) so u changed it to say his handball was disgraceful. Your the one clutching at straws.
    Tell me how I have been proven wrong exactly? :pac::pac::pac:

You said Suarez was unproven at the World Cup. A video was posted showing Suarez's best moments at the 2010 World Cup scoring 3 goals & being one the best players at that tournament. U surely get it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Well he did score 3 goals, also had 2 assists, and got 2 MOTM awards.
    Surely that's proven himself?

This is what you said.
    I had doubts about him because he had yet to prove himself on the WC stage but 2 goals can't be denied.

I assume WC stands for World Cup. If it refers to World Class, well your putting down the EPL in that case.

Suarez was one of the best players in World Cup 2010, putting in numerous very good to excellent performances in helping Uruguay reach the final four. He scored 3 goals and provided a couple of assists I think. So that goes against what you were saying. It wasn't having a go at you in the slightest. If I'm having a go at you, you'll sure as hell know about it. Instead you moved the goalposts upon realisation of what you said being wrong it looks like in focusing entirely on one moment of negativity in which he was punished for by being sent off and missing the semi final, Ghana being rewarded a penalty and having to face 10 men for a period of time. All the while having a pop at me for posting a highlight video from the official FIFA channel, and from what it looks like getting in a hump because you have to click on the video twice to view it on Youtube's main page itself.

Suarez also more than showed up the following year in Copa America if we want to continue the international theme by finishing top goalscorer and winning the tournament when most people (not yours truly ;)) gave them little chance of winning it.

You said Suarez was unproven at the World Cup. A video was posted showing Suarez's best moments at the 2010 World Cup scoring 3 goals & being one the best players at that tournament. U surely get it now.

One of the best players LOL

So 2 goals against South Korea;
    And 1 goal against Mexico
    A blatant hand ball to completely cheat Ghana

• Well he did score 3 goals, also had 2 assists, and got 2 MOTM awards.
    Surely that's proven himself?
    See above #4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

yeah you're right, he's no danny wellbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Suarez has 41 goals in 78 games for Uruguay.....Uruguays all time top goalscorer.

Hasn't proven himself in a World stage before tonight? Alright guy. Whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I can't believe anyone is seriously questioning Suarez. some of you would be awesome on the RTE World Cup panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think the words hole, digging and stop come to mind here.

See above #4
    Ah come on. Digging that hole deeper for yourself.

• BMJD wrote: »
    yeah you're right, he's no danny wellbeck
    Danny Welbeck? The force is weak in this one Obi-wan

• Looper007 wrote: »
    I can't believe anyone is seriously questioning Suarez. some of you would be awesome on the RTE World Cup panel.
    Have a step back and actually read the thread pages. Nobody is questioning his current performances.

• Advertisement

• Ah come on. Digging that hole deeper for yourself.
    What? Because I don't agree with a couple of Pool fans?

Have a step back and actually read the thread pages. Nobody is questioning his current performances.

Well himself and Forlan were the best strike performance in South Africa along with Muller and Klose, it's where he made his name. To say Suarez hasn't proved himself at the World Cup before 2014 is a bit far fetched.

What? Because I don't agree with a couple of Pool fans?

No, because you made a statement, contradicting the facts.
    And instead of accepting that you made a mistake, you compound it by trying to pin it all on the handball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Suarez certainly proved himself at the 2010 World Cup but I wouldn't have put him up there with the very best at that tournament as some are saying. He wasn't even the best Uruguyan at it.

• Looper007 wrote: »
    Well himself and Forlan were the best strike performance in South Africa along with Muller and Klose, it's where he made his name. To say Suarez hasn't proved himself at the World Cup before 2014 is a bit far fetched.
    No it's not, his attitude was disgusting at times from 2010 up until nearly 2013 regardless of his skill. You can agree with me or not fair enough but my opinions stands.

This all stemmed from me actually complementing the man and how much his attitude has improved over the last 12+ months which in turn contributes to him overall.

He's a phenomenal player now and very hard to put a price on because of this.

But the 'Suarez Guard' were just out to have a go at me because I don't agree with how he behaved in the past and his performance at the 2010 world cup.

Suarez certainly proved himself at the 2010 World Cup but I wouldn't have put him up there with the very best at that tournament as some are saying. He wasn't even the best Uruguyan at it.

Nope it was Forlan who won player of the tournament if I'm not wrong. He was immense a bit like Suarez was tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Watching this on a delayed feed,could see it ending 2-1 to Uruguay, Suarez to get a goal or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Joe prim wrote: »
    Watching this on a delayed feed,could see it ending 2-1 to Uruguay, Suarez to get a goal or two.

The football equivalent of people who 'haven't read' Game of Thrones making 'predictions'?

Also keep up the good work Mick, always good for a laugh.

No it's not, his attitude was disgusting at times from 2010 up until nearly 2013 regardless of his skill. You can agree with me or not fair enough but my opinions stands.

This all stemmed from me actually complementing the man and how much his attitude has improved over the last 12+ months which in turn contributes to him overall.

He's a phenomenal player now and very hard to put a price on because of this.

But the 'Suarez Guard' were just out to have a go at me because I don't agree with how he behaved in the past.

I'm no a Liverpool fan so I'm not besotted or look at him in some hero worship way. He only became World Class two season's ago but he was a very good player before that and he worked hard and scored a few goals.

As John Giles said great footballers always have a streak of meanness in them Suarez has that.

But the 'Suarez Guard' were just out to have a go at me because I don't agree with how he behaved in the past and his performance at the 1010 world cup.

In fairness, people are picking up on your own definition of "proving yourself on the world stage" by scoring 2 goals.

• Advertisement

No it's not, his attitude was disgusting at times from 2010 up until nearly 2013 regardless of his skill.
    You didn't mention that in your initial post.
    You just said he didn't prove himself at WC 2010, which he did.

• NukaCola wrote: »
    In fairness, people are picking up on your own definition of "proving yourself on the world stage" by scoring 2 goals.
    Here is the difference;

He has only played 1 match and scored 2 class goals against England in a crucial match where essentially Uruguay were on the way out if they didn't get the result they needed.

He didn't cheat, he didn't do anything cynical and in fairness he was carrying an injury from a knee operation and still managed to do what he did.

That's what I think of when I consider someone as world class and proving themselves on the world stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Reading English fans blaming the ref for the result tonight is amazing.

Blame everyone besides their own inability to develop footballers who are actually capable of playing football.

It's hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Suarez didnt need to prove he was world class, he already is.

I say this as an angry England fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Seaneh wrote: »

Blame everyone besides their own inability to develop footballers who are actually capable of playing football.

It's hilarious.

Some. Everyone in my local and my mates who I have spoken to all say we aren't good enough, no excuses.

Said before the tournament started we weren't getting out of the group. Thought we were lucky to in the Euros just gone too. Very poor England team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Beefy wrote:
    Lads, why does this simply little game do this to us??? I've 35 years old. I've been watching football for maybe 29 of those. My teams (club & international) have never done anything. I've never had anything but heart-ache and misery. Relegations and promotions designed purely to hit me with a relegation. More penalty shoot-out defeats than anyone should ever go through.

And yet here I am 139 minutes before kick off blaring 'Three Lions' out and dreaming of a 3-0 win.

Football.

:(

Fair play.

Seaneh wrote: »

It's hilarious.

Bore off mate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Bore off mate.

You're going home, you're going home, you're going, England's going home.

repeat.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Suarez has 43 goals in 78 games for Uruguay.....Uruguays all time top goalscorer.

Hasn't proven himself in a World stage before tonight? Alright guy. Whatever.

Not disagreeing with your point but is it not now Suarez 41, Rooney 40, Messi 39?

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Not disagreeing with your point but is it not now Suarez 41, Rooney 40, Messi 39?

You are correct good sir..... :)

Advertisement