Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uruguay Vs England 8pm (RTE/BBC/ITV) Group D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

England just aren't good enough, people blaming Woy he has some blame to carry but England just don't have the players, these "great young lions" is all ****e over the two games the only 2 players that looked decent were Sterling and Sturridge for the future. Rooney actually had a good game tonight but he isn't reliable and doesn't put in 100% like he should. Jagelka useless awful defending for the second goal, Baines found out badly in the WC, Stevie G a passenger for the entire tournament mistakes galore and playing in a wrong position, Welbeck uselss if he wasn't English he wouldn't be considered any sort of future talent, Henderson can't pass the ball every team needs a playmaker, Pirlo, Modric, Xavi, Rodriguez ect England don't have one quality playmaker in the team. You can blame Woy for many things but England once again are just massivly overrated theirs no great talent their to be used one or two quality young players that's really it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Can't wait to see what damage Suazez might do to Italy, it's gonna be an intriguing match when he's on this kind of form. I doubt he'll get the same amount of space against the Azzurri though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Here is the difference;

He has only played 1 match and scored 2 class goals against England in a crucial match where essentially Uruguay were on the way out if they didn't get the result they needed.

He didn't cheat, he didn't do anything cynical and in fairness he was carrying an injury from a knee operation and still managed to do what he did.

That's what I think of when I consider someone as world class and proving themselves on the world stage.

Stop digging the hole, you''ve embarrassed yourself enough in this thread already ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

With Robben you can see the exertion but Suarez makes it look easy. The ball is given its instructions and makes its inevitable way to the back of the net. Hart even looked like he bent out of the way - more Suarez mind rays perhaps?

I couldn't help feeling bad for the English lads though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can't wait to see what damage Suazez might do to Italy, it's gonna be an intriguing match when he's on this kind of form. I doubt he'll get the same amount of space against the Azzurri though.

As comfortable as they are on the ball that Italian backline doesn’t strike me as being very solid. I can also see Uruguay getting stuck into them, in midfield especially, in a way that England simply couldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Can anyone explain to me why England didn't go with a man to man marking job on Suarez?

Surely this should have been done, or am I missing something obvious?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

dixiefly wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me why England didn't go with a man to man marking job on Suarez?

With who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Has any team ever qualified with 3 pts before since the 3 pts for a win rule was introduced? I can't recall any team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Seaneh wrote: »
    Reading English fans blaming the ref for the result tonight is amazing.

Blame everyone besides their own inability to develop footballers who are actually capable of playing football.

It's hilarious.
    It'd be a small minority that are blaming the ref. Straw clutchers, if you like. Yes, Godin should have walked; even Gus Poyet said the same thing after the game. Would it have made any difference to the outcome? Highly unlikely. It's doubtful we had the tactical nouse to utilise the extra man to maximum effect. We were p1ss poor last night, and got what we deserved; nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

This Suarez cheated at 2010 annoys me, I'd be very annoyed if a player on a team I supported didn't do that

Rule number 1 in debating:

Have knowledge about the subject being discussed.

Roll on the Italy match, fascinating group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

naughtb4 wrote: »
    This Suarez cheated at 2010 annoys me, I'd be very annoyed if a player on a team I supported didn't do that

If you're not cheating you're not trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Kolido wrote: »
    Has any team ever qualified with 3 pts before since the 3 pts for a win rule was introduced? I can't recall any team.

Not at the World Cup but the USA managed it at the 2009 Confederations Cup - Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

With who?

Not sure tbh but there must have been someone they could have picked that could have tried to stick to him like glue all game. Not easy of course but they are supposedly the best players in England. Suarez had far too much space for the winner.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Just watched the highlights again there.

Those Rooney missed chances really cost and the second one really was a sitter.

Gerrard was kept busy all night and was really toothless in attack.

Baines and Johnson on each wing done only one thing of note all game.

Welbeck shouldn't be let anywhere near the team again.

Lallana should have started.

Sterling in the center was so much more effective against Italy and should have been left there.

Everyone else was meh.

Suarez is a genius. Best in the world right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Costa Rica beat England and complete the whitewash.

If Henderson and Gerrard are playing midfield then it very well could be. It was like watching United last season. Absolutely nothing being offered from midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Kolido wrote: »

No it's never happened before.

This will be the first time England have failed to progress out of the group stages since 1958.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

If they couldn't manage it against Pirlo, do you really think they could've done it against Saurez?

ger outta dat will ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

can't wait until they're officially out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

If they couldn't manage it against Pirlo, do you really think they could've done it against Saurez?

ger outta dat will ya!

But they didn't try to man mark Pirlo (or so it seemed to me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Disappointed they are (almost surely) going out. Well, I'm glad Hodgson has been found out (again) on the biggest stage but that England squad are worthy of a 'last 16', maybe even a QF place. A better manager would have got them there... though their group is a very tough one to be fair. Still though, I'll be happy to see Uraguay and Italy in the next round... or maybe even the dark horse Costa Rica :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Leftist wrote: »
    can't wait until they're officially out.

why?

why?

awful to watch and the media coverage is painfully boring.

this is a good world cup, can do without the likes of greece and england.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Disappointed they are (almost surely) going out. Well, I'm glad Hodgson has been found out (again) on the biggest stage but that England squad are worthy of a 'last 16', maybe even a QF place. A better manager would have got them there... though their group is a very tough one to be fair. Still though, I'll be happy to see Uraguay and Italy in the next round... or maybe even the dark horse Costa Rica :)
    They just don't have the players, it's always blamed on the manager, but the truth is they are a poor footballing nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

vidor wrote: »
    But they didn't try to man mark Pirlo (or so it seemed to me).

Exactly, they knew they weren't good enough to try against Pirlo and Saurez is better & faster so they knew it'd be pointless to even try.

Which is weird, you'd think a team would try and lock down the opposition's best player. (Phil jones kept Ronaldo quiet, I'm sure he'd have done the same against Italy). Against Italy, the logic was if they tried it on Pirlo they'd leave space for Italy's other holding players.

And against Saurez, they actually thought that Phil Jagielka and Gary Cahill would be good enough?

Woy is so tactically inept that it's actually ludicrous. Get's a free reign coz it's not a pesky foreigner and he's got mates in all the tabloids. Next up. 'Arry, and it's destined to happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

egghead. wrote: »
    They just don't have the players, it's always blamed on the manager, but the truth is they are a poor footballing nation.

Not really. They're not a WC winning team, but QF shouldn't be out of the question.

Rooney is a striker, not a #10.
    Welbeck is a striker not a winger.
    Sturridge is a striker, not a winger.

Those three can't play in the same team in my opinion. Yes Rooney can play #10, but he's not particularly good, especially if you compare him to someone like Mata, for example.

Gerrard is not a very good defense midfielder. In his hay day he was good as an attacking mid, but he's well past it now and offered nothing in both games. Needs to be dropped.

Henderson is a decent attacking midfielder (we saw glimpses of this in the season just gone for Liverpool (even more so when Gerrard didn't play)) but he just didn't do anything in either game.

Jagielka is just not up to it. Really missed the opportunity to play Cahill and Terry together in this World Cup.

Johnson is a terrible defender. A new RB is definately needed.

Joe Hart is an ok goalkeeper. He's prone to too many mistakes for my liking, but he's not the worst available.

Too many poor team decisions lead to this downfall. It's easy to scapegoat it under the banner of not being a good footballing nation, but that's a lie. England need to get off their high horse and expand the squad, and that includes Championship players. Just because you play in the Premier Leage does not mean you deserve an automatic call-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Baines was like a scared Rabbit in both games. Id say Ash Cole and Terry are laughing hard at being dropped.....Shambles they are. Ireland, dare I say it would have given both a tougher game. :p:p

• ColeTrain wrote: »
    Stop digging the hole, you''ve embarrassed yourself enough in this thread already ffs

I made a clear point relating to the thread.
    You could try and post something decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭abff

loremolis wrote: »
    If you're not cheating you're not trying.

Wow! I don't know how to even begin to respond to that statement. It's no wonder so many players roll around feigning injury if that's the attitude that's encouraged.

I'd like to think that there are at least some players left who try their hearts out without resorting to cheating. Or am I being naive by even suggesting that that's a possibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Costa Rica beat England and complete the whitewash.

It wouldn't surprise me if Costa Coffee beat England at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i don't know what else we should've expected with Roy Hodgson in charge.

he hasn't a fúcking notion at the highest level. just clueless.

the players were poor, yes, but Roy did not help them at all.

Gerrard was terrible, but for Liverpool, he's basically been a sweeper over the last year. he's protected, and his role is a very particular one in that system, and it works. he drops deep most of the time, with 2/3 of Henderson, Allen, Coutinho and Sterling doing the running. Gerrard's not the all-round CM England want him to be, or need him to be.

the issue over the "number 10 role" was a joke. did it really matter? it only matters if the system is so rigid that the players can't fluidly fill in for each other. that comes from the manager.

what has Welbeck done to be in the team? you can't say you're picking on form by bringing the likes of Sterling, Lallana, Barkley along, then continue to pick that guy. it's blind faith.

the team notably had no idea what they were doing, and were completely making it up as they went along. credit to Rooney is particular, he rose above it and tried to be constructive and make the team work. Sturridge did his best to ignite something too. but you're fighting a losing battle.

England went 1-1, and did not go for the jugular. complete and utter ineptitude. they had one attack straight after the goal, but that was it. they went into their shell again. why?

Hodgson is a fraud of a manager at the highest level. if this England team was ever going to properly compete, because they don't have the best players, they need someone who is going to get the best out of them, and make them better than the sum of their parts.

Hodgson is not that guy. he's a rigid dinosaur of a coach who has never proven that he can do it.

SlickRic wrote: »

Gerrard was terrible, but for Liverpool, he's basically been a sweeper over the last year. he's protected, and his role is a very particular one in that system, and it works.

except when it matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Suarez the best in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Bacchus wrote: »
    but that England squad are worthy of a 'last 16', maybe even a QF place.
    They're not though.
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    Gerrard

Henderson

Jagielka

Johnson

So who should have played?

Carrick instead of Gerrard?
    Milner instead of Henderson?
    Walker instead of Johnson?
    Phil Jones instead of Jagielka?

Because none of those alternatives would have made that team any better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

ricero wrote: »
    Suarez the best in the world

He's not though.

except when it matters.

what's really depressing is that you're serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

He's not though.

He has been this season. The guys a machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

England just aren't good enough, people blaming Woy he has some blame to carry but England just don't have the players, these "great young lions" is all ****e over the two games the only 2 players that looked decent were Sterling and Sturridge for the future. Rooney actually had a good game tonight but he isn't reliable and doesn't put in 100% like he should. Jagelka useless awful defending for the second goal, Baines found out badly in the WC, Stevie G a passenger for the entire tournament mistakes galore and playing in a wrong position, Welbeck uselss if he wasn't English he wouldn't be considered any sort of future talent, Henderson can't pass the ball every team needs a playmaker, Pirlo, Modric, Xavi, Rodriguez ect England don't have one quality playmaker in the team. You can blame Woy for many things but England once again are just massivly overrated theirs no great talent their to be used one or two quality young players that's really it.

Considering Hodgson picked all of these players then of course you can blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

awful to watch and the media coverage is painfully boring.

this is a good world cup, can do without the likes of greece and england.

Its an absolutely brutal England squad compared to ones of the past

• Advertisement

He has been a machine alright but still falls a bit short for best in the world.

he's not the best in the world though.

I don't understand why people make such definitive statements.

he's "one of" which is good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

He has been a machine alright but still falls a bit short for best in the world.

How so?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Easier said that done.

Had Jags been man marking him full on for the first goal, he'd have still have lost him because he was ball watching. I need to see the clip again, but I don't think he moved his eyes off the ball once Cavani picked it up to delivering a pin point ball. Great ball btw though he had all the time in the world to pick his spot due to no one seemingly closing him down.

Second goal, well Gerrard did what he did, but I think Cahill was ball watching too once the ball was up in the hair to the moment Gerrard touched it on. Once the ball bypassed Jags, Cahill looked stunned to see Suarez where he was on and made a desperate attempt to get back, but by then it was too late.

Similar occurred for Cavani's chance in the second half too I think.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    How so?

Is he better than Ronaldo?

Is Ronaldo better than him? Right now?

Right now as in after 1 World Cup game or right now as in after a full season of football???
    Because one is a ridiculous and stupid way of judging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Is this answer a question with a question day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

ronjo wrote: »
    Is this answer a question with a question day?

Let them off, I'm boiling the Kettle. can't wait to know the answer

Right now as in after 1 World Cup game or right now as in after a full season of football???
    Because one is a ridiculous and stupid way of judging.

Right now as in right now after a full season and during this world cup. Hes the best there is at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement