Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long car journey with 6 month old

Options
  • 19-06-2014 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am wondering is a 3hr car journey too much on a 6/7 month old? I have to undertake a long drive in August. Has anyone any advice or any experience in long road trips and how to make it comfy for the little one?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Absolutely not, stop half way for a breather and let them out of the car seat to move around properly and stretch. 3 hours in a car is entirely doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I've done it a few times with my baby since he was two weeks old! :o

I'd stop after each hour to get up for a walk around, even just for a couple of minutes. Bear in mind that, when you get him out in the fresh air, he may well decide he wants a bottle, so plan where you stop accordingly (ideally somewhere with nappy changing facilities, it's possible of course to just feed and change in the car, but not easy!) If it's a hot day, try and park somewhere shady, if you ended up taking a long break to feed or somewhere it's crap coming back to a roasting hot car. If there are two of you in the car, I'd be likely to have the passenger in the back seat with baby, saves you having to pull in if he drops his soother etc. Having said that I've done the trip alone with him and survived it, I did end up pulling in an awful lot more to check on him though.

Also be careful not to overheat him, I would just have my baby in normal clothes (babygro might be comfier), no jacket or hat or blankets, for a long trip like that. Maybe have window on opposite side of the car open slightly to let air in.

Allow yourself a lot more time for the trip than you expect you'll need, just in case!

You should be fine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I've an 18 month old and a 3 month old. Have been doing 2.5 hr car journeys since the 18mth old was a few weeks. Mostly on my own. My advice.... Let sleeping dogs lie. If he/she is asleep or quiet/happy... Don't disturb them to let them out etc. I know there's a limit to the time spent in car seat (2 hrs I think in maxi cosi). But if the journey is a once off I wouldn't obsess about taking him out if he appears happy. If he's crying etc of course have a break give him a feed etc. I did the journey only yesterday by myself with the 2 babies. I never stop off as I feel it's more hassle then it's worth tbh. Thought that even when I had the one. 3 month old slept the while way. 18month old ate his snack in his carseat followed by a bottle of milk and slept for about an hour. Have a couple chew toys and a music toy strapped to chair for him to keep him occupied. Happy travels!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I've been making regular two hour journeys down home with my two since they were a few weeks old, it's entirely doable.

It's always easiest to set off at their naptime, so that takes care of at least one hour of the journey (though mine have been known to conk for the whole thing!). Have a favourite teddy or a book to hand for them and have plenty of car-proof snacks (cubes of cheese, crackers, raisins, rice cakes) and a non-spill cup/bottle with you. I only ever stopped if I had to as it can unsettle them and make the rest of the journey worse. I also spend a lot of time pointing out things to them on the road to entertain them and singing along badly to the radio seems to be very entertaining too.

Every child has a different entertainment threshold, mine seem to be happy out looking out the window or at a book, so I've never had to introduce the iPad or a dvd player (so far). I think it'd lead them to expect it every time if I did and I don't want the situation a neighbour of mine has, where the three year old won't even go to the next town without a dvd :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have done it with all since they were a few days old,it is fine:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I've been making regular two hour journeys down home with my two since they were a few weeks old, it's entirely doable.

It's always easiest to set off at their naptime, so that takes care of at least one hour of the journey (though mine have been known to conk for the whole thing!). Have a favourite teddy or a book to hand for them and have plenty of car-proof snacks (cubes of cheese, crackers, raisins, rice cakes) and a non-spill cup/bottle with you. I only ever stopped if I had to as it can unsettle them and make the rest of the journey worse. I also spend a lot of time pointing out things to them on the road to entertain them and singing along badly to the radio seems to be very entertaining too.

Every child has a different entertainment threshold, mine seem to be happy out looking out the window or at a book, so I've never had to introduce the iPad or a dvd player (so far). I think it'd lead them to expect it every time if I did and I don't want the situation a neighbour of mine has, where the three year old won't even go to the next town without a dvd :eek:

I'd agree with implausible re the iPad/DVD thing. We got this as a present for our fella and it kept him entertained for ages. He loved the music. And u can just tie it to the carseat.https://www.google.ie/search?q=leap+frog+music&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Pw6jU4DkD-iV7AahlIGoBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ#facrc=_&imgrc=FPcdcLNWUXzqrM%253A%3BOosLbat6Px6kgM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fs7d9.scene7.com%252Fis%252Fimage%252FBedBathandBeyond%252F22469840531526p%253F%2524478%2524%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.buybuybaby.com%252F1%252F3%252Flearn-through-music%3B478%3B478

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

We have gone on a few long journeys with our 2 year old and 11 week old. First one when 2 yr old was only 1 month. We leave straight after a feed/naptime. As others hace said snacks and drinks handy and we only stop if we have to.
    The hardest journey was yesterday when we got lost on a 2 hr 45 min joutney that turned in to 3 and a half hour on the hottest day of the year. We stopped about 4 times. I sat in the back after about an hour. We had a tshirt and shorts on 2 yr old and just a vest on baba. And we were roasting. By the end i was close to starting are we there yet , are we there yet.
    That being said we never had problems before. I am guilty of letting toddler watch tablet on long journeys though . Got in to that habbit when i was driving alone . But we only use it on very long journeys if she starts getting board or fed up . Normally sleeps an hr then looks out the window/looks at books / plays with toys. But if its over a 2 hr journey she gets fed up .

Advertisement