Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish water truth

• 19-06-2014 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Uepped

This is a fact that the RTE and Dennis O'Brian media wont tell you, Irish water have no way of cutting of your water if you don't pay the bill. sure they can come around and switch it off at the mains but all you have to do, is lift up the manhole and turn it back on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Just pay the water charges and stop being a complete idiot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Folks, don't go lifting up manholes, that's where the poop goes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Uepped wrote: »
    This is a fact that the RTE and Dennis O'Brian media wont tell you, Irish water have no way of cutting of your water if you don't pay the bill. sure they can come around and switch it off at the mains but all you have to do, is lift up the manhole and turn it back on.

They already said it won't be turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I’d be fairly sure, now that they have a meter at the point where the water turns into every home, that there will be some way of doing this.

Just pay for your bloody water like the rest of the civilised world.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

What's more is that if you go out into your back garden with a bucket half the days of the year, free water comes literally from the sky. The Illumnati have been keeping this quiet but I've seen it with my own eyes.

In your face Phil Hogan.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Costs about €2,500 to sink a well
    Water charges average €240
    Well pays for itself in 10 Years
    ???????
    Profit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

???????
    Profit

Dont forget to include repairs. I dont know anything that runs for ten years trouble free.

and they've already sed they wont turn it off they reduce the pressure till its near useless. And its a insert so not just turn a valve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

???????
    Profit

Isn't there talk of charging people with their own wells for yearly 'inspections' or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

They never said they would turn it off (I believe they are not allowed to switch off the water) but they can reduce it to a minimum.
    This Irish Water stuff is getting blown out of proportion. Some of us have been paying for water already via local schemes etc.
    Most of the civilised world have been paying for water for years and now it's our turn, it sucks yes but c'est la vie.
    I won't be tampering with the meters though and I'll be paying for the water as I have been doing for many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Robbo wrote: »
    What's more is that if you go out into your back garden with a bucket half the days of the year, free water comes literally from the sky. The Illumnati have been keeping this quiet but I've seen it with my own eyes.

In your face Phil Hogan.

Also, the water in Ireland is contaminated with flouride and flu vaccines WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Links234 wrote: »
    Also, the water in Ireland is contaminated with flouride and flu vaccines WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!

This type of thing is usually spouted from folks who took in too much fluoride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Denis O'Brien has really become the archetypal Montgomery Burns type villain for the Irish online crank community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Should probably mention chemtrails at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

dont fiddle with the manhole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Coat22 wrote: »

So, wait you think that all labour and materials involved in water distribution and services for the past few decades have been free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Daith

Coat22 wrote: »

We already do. We are just paying more now but hopefully it will lead to an improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

When our water get privatized and the price skyrockets we'll really wish we made more of a stand on this. TV license/broadcast charge, bin charges, water charges, property tax, we just bend over and take it all. They made this tax up and put in meters to justify it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Denis O'Brien has really become the archetypal Montgomery Burns type villain for the Irish online crank community.

Well funny you mention this. Just filled my tank with diesel there at Topaz in Dublin port. Just heard an ad over the tannoy system that the lpt can now be paid in Topaz too.

Get that. A Topaz. A fcuking Topaz (of all places), Topaz of course (coincidentally) owned by whom?

Dennis has his finger in every pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

sligoface wrote: »
    When our water get privatized and the price skyrockets we'll really wish we made more of a stand on this. TV license/broadcast charge, bin charges, water charges, property tax, we just bend over and take it all. They made this tax up and put in meters to justify it.

Yeah, the citizens of no other country would accept water charges. Why should we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Tabnabs wrote: »

There's servicing manholes ye nab -.-;

• Advertisement

Apparently the International Space Station can recycle its water over and over again.

1. Build an International Space Station in Ireland
    2. Recycle water
    3. ?????????
    4. PROFIT!!!!!!

No need for that gadgetry....

We should follow the Kenyans lead.
    With 20 Euro only, you can provide clean water for one child for one year.

http://www.globalnature.org/31824/PROJECTS/Water-Living-Lakes/Drinking-Water-Filter/02_vorlage.asp http://www.globalnature.org/31824/PROJECTS/Water-Living-Lakes/Drinking-Water-Filter/02_vorlage.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Tabnabs wrote: »

Dont be ridiculous.
    Poop goes in the toilet and when you flush it goes down the pipes to the daily Mail where it gets used to create their content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Drakares wrote: »

Is that you Enda ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

How did you forget the oestrogen from the pill?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Jesus can people stop using sheeple. Nothing alienates people more from listening to your idea, opinion or view than hearing sheeple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

In Northern Ireland they call them "rates". Maybe we should adopt a name change and forget all the fuss.

The average down there is €950 a year, in a country where welfare payments are far lower than here and the average income is €8,000 less than here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

dont fiddle with the manhole

That's what she said last night.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Jesus can people stop using sheeple. Nothing alienates people more from listening to your idea, opinion or view than hearing sheeple.

I think she was joking :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Don't pay and have a drip-by-drip shower and poo in the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Isn't this usually where someone makes a **** gag that "they'd tax the air we breathe if they could get away with it, ho ho ho"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Isn't there talk of charging people with their own wells for yearly 'inspections' or something?

O_o
    Source?
    If this is true then it's taking the absolute piss, and whatever about water charges I hope everyone can agree that such a suggestion is an obvious scam.

What an inaccurate thread title :( I was hoping for the outing of some scam or conspiracy

Lemlin wrote: »
    In Northern Ireland they call them "rates". Maybe we should adopt a name change and forget all the fuss.

The average down there is €950 a year, in a country where welfare payments are far lower than here and the average income is €8,000 less than here.

I pay almost 4 times that in usc. What's their avg usc per year?

I pay almost 4 times that in usc. What's their avg usc per year?

That might add up to the higher cost of your wages.

Irish water truth - rural people have been paying water charges for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i wasn't sure if the thread title was a new type of branded water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Yea He should be a good little man and do as he is told.

Yea He should be a good little man and do as he is told.

yes

That might add up to the higher cost of your wages.

It might, but it knocks the shıte out of your domestic rate comparison. Don't even go there with vat rates, free health care, refuse collection and school books fees.
    Irish water truth - rural people have been paying water charges for years.

Everyone has been paying water charges for years. Via income tax, vat and commercial rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think she was joking :pac::pac:
    Oh no! Now the water fluoridation is even effecting people's humour detectors! :eek: When will the madness end!? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Water charges should not even exist , suggesting someone to pay them sounds like such an alien Idea, especially for water that passes through an outdated underground infrastructure in many places in this country, water is an Inalienable right to the development of human beings, it has always been a free resource and its no wonder that they want to put a price on it in times of recession. its just a pseudo tax.

I quote, from the UN On 28 July 2010, through Resolution 64/292, the United Nations General Assembly explicitly recognized the human right to water and sanitation and acknowledged that clean drinking water and sanitation are essential to the realization of all human rights.

Not too mention its going to be a gravy train to the chairwoman Rose Hynes who is no stranger to state run bureaucratic organisations, I Quote from The Irish Times Hynes is the chairwoman of both Bord Gáis and Irish Water, to which she was appointed in July, 2013. She has been chairwoman of Bord Gáis since July, 2009, and also sits on its remuneration and investment and infrastructure committees. A lawyer by profession, she is also chairwoman of the Shannon Airport Authority and is a director of Total Produce and One Fifty One. She previously served on the boards of Fyffes, Aer Lingus and Concern, and held senior positions in the Guinness Peat Aviation group.

This is a Thatcherite farce,

• Advertisement

especially for water that passes through an outdated underground infrastructure in many places in this country

Don't they plan on upgrading the system using money generated from the water charges?

water has always been a free resource?

what about the pipes to get it around? irrigation? so on and so on.

the truth of the matter is, water charges are another tax on irish people because the government cant balance its book and irish people neither want to lose services or pay for them. Water charge or another rise in VAT or USC or anything else, it doesnt matter. its a tax.

at least this tax will have something do with consumption of these "free" resources.

Don't they plan on upgrading the system using money generated from the water charges?

not really, no. some of the money raised might eventually go there, once the other holes in the public finances are plugged.

Also, maybe a pay rise for some politicians.

folan wrote: »
    not really, no. some of the money raised might eventually go there, once the other holes in the public finances are plugged.

Also, maybe a pay rise for some politicians.

€1.77bn from 2014-2016 to be invested in improving the networks? Seems fairly substantial

http://www.water.ie/news/proposed-capital-investme/

€1.77bn from 2014-2016 to be invested in improving the networks? Seems fairly substantial

http://www.water.ie/news/proposed-capital-investme/

I wouldnt say so, seeing as it currently costs ~ 1bn per annum to keep the current cracks from shutting the whole systems down. there are plenty of cracks already in the system, and were already paying for them.

It might, but it knocks the shıte out of your domestic rate comparison. Don't even go there with vat rates, free health care, refuse collection and school books fees.

Everyone has been paying water charges for years. Via income tax, vat and commercial rates.

We don't have the UK to prop us up like they do NI.

Yes and rural people have been paying twice by paying our direct water Group Water Scheme charges plus these charges via other taxes.

I wouldnt say so, seeing as it currently costs ~ 1bn per annum to keep the current cracks from shutting the whole systems down. there are plenty of cracks already in the system, and were already paying for them.

Have you got a source for that? I just get results for the upcoming charges when I went looking

Have you got a source for that? I just get results for the upcoming charges when I went looking

sure, i had a look around that same site:
    It is costing €1.2 billion every year to run the public water system, with €1 billion of this funding coming from the Exchequer

http://www.water.ie/why-value-water/

Water charges should not even exist , suggesting someone to pay them sounds like such an alien Idea, especially for water that passes through an outdated underground infrastructure in many places in this country, water is an Inalienable right to the development of human beings, it has always been a free resource and its no wonder that they want to put a price on it in times of recession. its just a pseudo tax.

I quote, from the UN On 28 July 2010, through Resolution 64/292, the United Nations General Assembly explicitly recognized the human right to water and sanitation and acknowledged that clean drinking water and sanitation are essential to the realization of all human rights.

Not too mention its going to be a gravy train to the chairwoman Rose Hynes who is no stranger to state run bureaucratic organisations, I Quote from The Irish Times Hynes is the chairwoman of both Bord Gáis and Irish Water, to which she was appointed in July, 2013. She has been chairwoman of Bord Gáis since July, 2009, and also sits on its remuneration and investment and infrastructure committees. A lawyer by profession, she is also chairwoman of the Shannon Airport Authority and is a director of Total Produce and One Fifty One. She previously served on the boards of Fyffes, Aer Lingus and Concern, and held senior positions in the Guinness Peat Aviation group.

This is a Thatcherite farce,

You conveniently left out that the UN said water can be charged for:
    •Affordable. Water, and water facilities and services, must be affordable for all. The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) suggests that water costs should not exceed 3 per cent of household income.

Up to 3% of household income is alot more than the charges you will be paying.

sure, i had a look around that same site:

http://www.water.ie/why-value-water/

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement