Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish water truth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Lemlin wrote: »
    We don't have the UK to prop us up like they do NI.

I wonder if these rural dwellers might be getting propped up by urban dwellers, paying higher lpt (in places like Dublin) :confused:
    Yes and rural people have been paying twice by paying our direct water Group Water Scheme charges plus these charges via other taxes.

Meanwhile some folk are still paying twice for water they can't drink or bathe in. (i presume yours is clean?)

Btw, we're you aware of the water scheme before you decided to buy/build there?

If so......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I wonder if these rural dwellers might be getting propped up by urban dwellers, paying higher lpt (in places like Dublin) :confused:

Meanwhile some folk are still paying twice for water they can't drink or bathe in. (i presume yours is clean?)

Btw, we're you aware of the water scheme before you decided to buy/build there?

If so......

Your LPT goes to your own council so urban dwellers would not be propping up rural areas. I would imagine the LPT is higher in urban areas because there are alot more services which are alot closer. When I lived in Dublin, I had a train station five minutes walk away, a bus stop at the end of the road, a cinema fifteen minutes walk away etc.

Nope, we buy bottled water for drinking.

I was aware that I would either have to dig a private well or connect to the Group Water Scheme for a charge of €1600. I also had to dig a trench out the front of the house to get a water pipe to the road for the Group Water Scheme.

I'd expect anyone who isn't willing to pay their direct charges not to be supplied with water. Nobody arrived at my house to ensure I was receiving water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm just going to stop using water.

Feck you government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Saw a thing somewhere (Tinternet probably). A town in one of the southern states of the US got into difficulties because of no work people leaving etc. The council needed to raise money to do some work that they were obligated to do. So raised a loan and the only thing they owned as any sort of colateral was the sewerage system. So they put that up!

Things were dandy until the global economy went for a $hite. Bank foreclosed and sold the asset to some venture capital Johnnys. Sewerage charges rocketed, like tenfold. Streets and streets of houses disconnected from the mains sewerage and with porta-loos outside.

Merica huh. Couldn't happen here right?

Your LPT goes to your own council so urban dwellers would not be propping up rural areas.
    How much of the lpt collected in Dublin stayed in Dublin last year?
    I would imagine the LPT is higher in urban areas because there are alot more services which are alot closer. When I lived in Dublin, I had a train station five minutes walk away, a bus stop at the end of the road, a cinema fifteen minutes walk away etc.

How did this work before lpt? Afaik, income tax /vat rates were the same in Leitrim as what Dublin's were.

I'd also imagine it costs much more to service sparsely populated isolated dwellings than urban ones. Maybe I'm wrong.

Nope, we buy bottled water for drinking.

Ouch.

I was aware that I would either have to dig a private well or connect to the Group Water Scheme for a charge of €1600. I also had to dig a trench out the front of the house to get a water pipe to the road for the Group Water Scheme.

I'd expect anyone who isn't willing to pay their direct charges not to be supplied with water. Nobody arrived at my house to ensure I was receiving water.

The joys of the fresh countryside. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Denis O'Brien has really become the archetypal Montgomery Burns type villain for the Irish online crank community.

Why?

Was Burns also found by Moriarity beyond doubt to be bribing FG politicians in order to get his hands on valuable contracts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Why?

Was Burns also found by Moriarity beyond doubt to be bribing FG politicians in order to get his hands on valuable contracts?

Yes allergy

How much of the lpt collected in Dublin stayed in Dublin last year?

How did this work before lpt? Afaik, income tax /vat rates were the same in Leitrim as what Dublin's were.

I'd also imagine it costs much more to service sparsely populated isolated dwellings than urban ones. Maybe I'm wrong.

Ouch.

The joys of the fresh countryside. :)

I don't have the figures re Dublin and LPT. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

I'd actually imagine the opposite re the sparsely populated areas. For a start we don't have street lighting and other items like that. We require less Garda presence, crime rates are lower etc.

The current water setup is the perfect example of how rural people get a raw deal. We are paying twice - once directly for our own service and then via our taxes for that of urban dwellers. That's why we're laughing now at people complaining about "unfair" taxes. We've been paying water charges for years lads.

What is your problem with paying for a service you will recieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

I'd actually imagine the opposite re the sparsely populated areas. For a start we don't have street lighting and other items like that. We require less Garda presence, crime rates are lower etc.

The current water setup is the perfect example of how rural people get a raw deal. We are paying twice - once directly for our own service and then via our taxes for that of urban dwellers. That's why we're laughing now at people complaining about "unfair" taxes. We've been paying water charges for years lads.

so we can reduce garda numbers in rural areas as crime rates are lower. great.

theres no street lighting in rural ireland? really? please qualify rural ireland so, because otherwise thats just untrue.

its also lovely to know that urban dwellers have been having their services paid for by those in rural ireland.

• Advertisement

folan wrote: »
    so we can reduce garda numbers in rural areas as crime rates are lower. great.

theres no street lighting in rural ireland? really? please qualify rural ireland so, because otherwise thats just untrue.

its also lovely to know that urban dwellers have been having their services paid for by those in rural ireland.

Garda numbers have already been decreased in rural areas. Did you miss all the station closures?

Towns in rural Ireland have street lighting. Not every single path you walk down in an estate etc. like urban Ireland.

Where did I say that about rural dwellers paying? I said LPT goes to the local area. Another poster came back and said in his opinion Dublin LPT was going outside Dublin as sparsely populated rural areas are expensive to run. I countered how would sparesely populated areas be more expensive to run than all the services on offer in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Your LPT goes to your own council so urban dwellers would not be propping up rural areas. I would imagine the LPT is higher in urban areas because there are alot more services which are alot closer. When I lived in Dublin, I had a train station five minutes walk away, a bus stop at the end of the road, a cinema fifteen minutes walk away etc.

Dublin does by and large subsidies the rest of the country. I refer to you a table done up by Politics mod Scofflaw that illustrates the point.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78332628

Sorry I missed this request.

Here.
    Dubliners are subsidising their country counterparts in the funding of local services by up to 50 times, an analysis by Dublin City Council shows.

Dublin city has been allocated €5.06 per person through the Local Government Fund for this year, compared to €260.47 per person in Leitrim, according to figures compiled by the city council’s finance department.

The disparity is replicated nationally, with urban areas receiving far less funding than rural councils, but Dublin local authorities receiving least. The fund is the main source of money allocated by the Government to local authorities and is largely made up of Local Property Tax (LPT) payments from householders.

From

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/dubliners-get-up-to-50-times-less-funding-than-rural-dwellers-1.1730130

My only problem is paying for it, then paying for it again. All to keep a big quango going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Garda numbers have already been decreased in rural areas. Did you miss all the station closures?
    No, just making sure you are happy with it. I seem to remember protests galore, but seems i was wrong.
    Towns in rural Ireland have street lighting. Not every single path you walk down in an estate etc. like urban Ireland.
    that all depends on the estate and street.
    Where did I say that about rural dwellers paying? I said LPT goes to the local area.

We are paying twice - once directly for our own service and then via our taxes for that of urban dwellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Robbo wrote: »
    What's more is that if you go out into your back garden with a bucket half the days of the year, free water comes literally from the sky. The Illumnati have been keeping this quiet but I've seen it with my own eyes.

In your face Phil Hogan.

Fun fact: it's literally illegal to do that in some parts of America.

Personally I'd spend money diverting rainwater to fill my cold water tank, but it'd cost thousands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

:confused:

I mean, believing the misinformation and propaganda before the lpt being brought in is one thing, still believing it when it's widely reported that the lpt is a form of rural subsidisation is baffling.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/urban-taxpayers-subsidising-rural-homeowners-could-cause-property-tax-backlash-262606.html

^ I didn't bother reading the content of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Drakares wrote: »
    Just pay the water charges and stop being a complete idiot.
    Does Denis O'Brien have to pay the water charges or will he also get them dropped like he did with €300 Million from the banks ?

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/banks-write-off-over-300m-in-three-deals-with-denis-o-brien-1.1830533

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    Does Denis O'Brien have to pay the water charges or will he also get them dropped like he did with €300 Million from the banks ?

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/banks-write-off-over-300m-in-three-deals-with-denis-o-brien-1.1830533

He came in and bought distressed properties. Plenty of people are doing that.

If I had the money to, I'd be more than happy to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Thread title misleading, Thought this was about fluoride...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

If a person doesn't sign a contract with Irish water and doesn't want a contract with them, then how can Irish water send them a yearly bill ?. A private company cannot force any person into a contract.

That would be like UPC telling you that you cannot go with sky, you have to go with us (UPC) and we will send you a bill whether you like it or not lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Lapua Magnum

If a person doesn't sign a contract with Irish water and doesn't want a contract with them, then how can Irish water send them a yearly bill ?. A private company cannot force any person into a contract.

That would be like UPC telling you that you cannot go with sky, you have to go with us (UPC) and we will send you a bill whether you like it or not lol.

Aren't you supposed to say this Freeman Shíte through the medium of interpretive dance??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Except Irish Water is not a private company.

They are a semi-state brought into effect by the Water Services Act (2013).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I signed a petition outside Dunnes against the watercharge. Yer one doing it was hot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

c_man wrote: »
    I signed a petition outside Dunnes against the watercharge. Yer one doing it was hot too.

She might have been hot but I doubt she was CAHWT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Irish water are the scum of the Earth. They are worse than Hitler and the Nazis. Would you pay your fees to a bunch of Nazis? I don't think so.

Water fees in the rest of Europe and in the ballpark of 0.1 cent per Litre. Pittance.

It is being made into a business here and corporations (and private ones at that) are bribing the government to give them a monopoly.

Water is a public service in The Netherlands, where I lived for a good while, and that is how it will remain. You pay 0.1 c for each Litre coming in and a small (nominal) flat rate for each person living in the house to cover waste water.

Prices will only go up and up.

If you use loads, you pay loads. If you save water, the nazis get no money so they put prices up.

I don't trust them.

Sink a well, park your car over the place where the meter goes.

They are all Nazi vermin and I wish nothing but ill-luck and hardship on every Nazi Gestapo scum who work for Irish Water.

NAZIS.

Seems legit.

Irish water are the scum of the Earth. They are worse than Hitler and the Nazis. Would you pay your fees to a bunch of Nazis? I don't think so.

Water fees in the rest of Europe and in the ballpark of 0.1 cent per Litre. Pittance.

It is being made into a business here and corporations (and private ones at that) are bribing the government to give them a monopoly.

Water is a public service in The Netherlands, where I lived for a good while, and that is how it will remain. You pay 0.1 c for each Litre coming in and a small (nominal) flat rate for each person living in the house to cover waste water.

Prices will only go up and up.

If you use loads, you pay loads. If you save water, the nazis get no money so they put prices up.

I don't trust them.

Sink a well, park your car over the place where the meter goes.

They are all Nazi vermin and I wish nothing but ill-luck and hardship on every Nazi Gestapo scum who work for Irish Water.

NAZIS.

I think you will find that water charges in Europe are quite complex.

http://www.publicpolicy.ie/domestic-water-charges-in-europe/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Coat22 wrote: »
    I’d be fairly sure, now that they have a meter at the point where the water turns into every home, that there will be some way of doing this.

Just pay for your bloody water like the rest of the civilised world.

And here I've been thinking that the taxes I pay DID pay for the water. If the government were to kindly lower my tax burden, now that they are no longer paying for water, I'd be happy to cover my own bill. What with not having children, I'd probably come out ahead.

Oh wait - what's that? The taxes I have been paying that have been funding the water I use....it's not going to be reduced? So you aren't asking me to pay for the water, you're asking me to pay for the water twice. Hardly seems fair....

They forced us to vote twice on Lisbon, and they force us to pay twice for the same thing. Something needs to be done about this garbage.

They forced us to vote twice on Lisbon, and they force us to pay twice for the same thing. Something needs to be done about this garbage.

Get your own water then you won't have to pay anyone else.

Get your own water then you won't have to pay anyone else.

well there's plenty of that here, so all that's needed is a good filter.

There again, it would be a lot easier just opening the little manhole and turn my water back on.
    FIANNA FÁIL TD Barry Cowen has called for confirmation that Irish Water will address high levels of lead in drinking water as part of its ‘First Fix Free’ policy.

It comes in the wake of a report in the Sunday Business Post which revealed that 41 schools, businesses and homes across the country have been found to have excessive levels of lead in their water supply. The information emerged after tests carried out by the Environmental Protection Agency. “We cannot have a situation where schools and businesses are paying water charges but then don’t have adequate drinking water,”

Source: http://www.thejournal.ie/lead-water-supply-1533842-Jun2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭JRant

well there's plenty of that here, so all that's needed is a good filter.

There again, it would be a lot easier just opening the little manhole and turn my water back on.

Source: http://www.thejournal.ie/lead-water-supply-1533842-Jun2014/

Lol, Barry Cowen and FF are backing a "First Fix Free" campaign. Sure the drug dealers have been doing that a long time.

So the country folk think it's about time the city folk started paying their way with water charges.

Fair enough, as long as the price of electricity reflects the actual costs involved in getting it to their part of the world. If the good people of Mayo & Roscommon want cables underground let them pay for it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't they plan on upgrading the system using money generated from the water charges?
    No.

It will take years to pay off the meters and installs and setup costs.

In the meantime they will borrow money to pay for the upgrades.

so
    It will take years to pay off the meters and installs and setup costs and the added interest costs before any of the money will actually go to upgrading the network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Lapua Magnum

No.

It will take years to pay off the meters and installs and setup costs.

In the meantime they will borrow money to pay for the upgrades.

so
    It will take years to pay off the meters and installs and setup costs and the added interest costs before any of the money will actually go to upgrading the network

Eh like you just said, they will borrow money to invest in the network. Just like any normal company does.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 GrewUS

I feel bad for the staff on low wage doing the dog work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

GrewUS wrote: »
    I feel bad for the staff on low wage doing the dog work.

as in post #83.... eh, just like every normal company does.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

We don't have the UK to prop us up like they do NI.

Yes and rural people have been paying twice by paying our direct water Group Water Scheme charges plus these charges via other taxes.

And you drink bottled water because the water through the GWS is undrinkable.
    Also, if you are paying above the allowance given with the GPS, you are either farming or seriously wasting water. The new allowances are a joke under Irish Water.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Eh like you just said, they will borrow money to invest in the network. Just like any normal company does.
    No

They are borrowing money to pay for the meters, the install and the setup costs.

and they are borrowing even more money to invest in the network

a simple question , how many years will take to pay off the first costs and the interest on them before we even start to pay off the cost of the upgrades that was the supposed reason for the setup ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

The biggest question is are Irish water stealing the water in the first place?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Augmerson wrote: »
    Jesus can people stop using sheeple. Nothing alienates people more from listening to your idea, opinion or view than hearing sheeple.

the truth hurts eh, it never bothers me one bit and that must be because I get out and demand real change and accountability at every opportunity, in between working for many clients in a busy industry with strict deadlines, it amazes me how the whole country is busy when protests are planned well in advance and we'll advertised, shame on the sheeple!!

the installation of water meters are being stopped daily across Dublin, large numbers coming out to meetings held in estates, all ya have to do is walk a few feet from your door and sit on the path for a half hour or an hour, work on your meter is called off, a battle won ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The biggest question is are Irish water stealing the water in the first place?
    In many buckets labelled "Swag", supplied by the Rothschilds and Denis O'Brien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

the installation of water meters are being stopped daily across Dublin, large numbers coming out to meetings held in estates, all ya have to do is walk a few feet from your door and sit on the path for a half hour or an hour, work on your meter is called off, a battle won ;)

Shame the war's already been lost eh?

Shame the war's already been lost eh?

with an attitude like that, its no wonder the elite keep fcuking us over, its never ever too late to stand up to corruption!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Robbo wrote: »
    In many buckets labelled "Swag", supplied by the Rothschilds and Denis O'Brien.

No doubt Denis issued this order from the comfort of his lair in an extinct volcano. Before laughing manically at his latest dastardly scheme against the Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I'm tellin Dennis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I would but i'm too busy working so that i can fulfill my obligation as a citizen and pay my bills/taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

I was going to put a bucket in my fireplace and a funnel in my chimney, then I realised that water never comes down my chimney... Clearly the government are already stealing it somehow, it's a conspiracy I tell ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bogan

Coat22 wrote: »
    I’d be fairly sure, now that they have a meter at the point where the water turns into every home, that there will be some way of doing this.

Just pay for your bloody water like the rest of the civilised world.

It's because of people like you that government can sell off assets with ease.

Of course they won't just turn off your water. That would never be allowed to happen so they'll find other ways as a workaround.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Bogan wrote: »
    It's because of people like you that government can sell off assets with ease.

Of course they won't just turn off your water. That would never be allowed to happen so they'll find other ways as a workaround.

Prepaid meters ? You cut your self off then and get charged stupidly high amounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Irish Water is a scam -
    it is the government setting up a utility company which it wants to privatise some time in the future.
    That is why they invested money in it, without even supplying a business plan or estimate of the cost per household.
    It would have been cheaper to have a flat fee for water and not have to install meters.
    No government party member answered me when i asked them during the local elections campaigning
    How much will it be to have a bath, shower, flush the toilet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

with an attitude like that, its no wonder the elite keep fcuking us over, its never ever too late to stand up to corruption!!

The Elite? Oh lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement