Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who Was The First

• 19-06-2014 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭

Who was the first to get knocked out of the world cup was it Spain or Australia?

My friends say its Spain, but Australia played before them and lost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I think it was both at the same time actually, Austrailia could still have gone through even after the defeat to Holland if Spain had beaten Chile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

They both got knocked out at the same time. Soon as Spain got knocked out last night so did Oz. They needed Spain to win, they didnt so both go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

mikeym wrote: »
    Who was the first to get knocked out of the world cup was it Spain or Australia?

They both got knocked out together when Spain lost. Up until then there was a possibility of three teams have three points at the end of the group if the Dutch won their final game and Spain beat Chile and were beaten by Australia. Then Goal difference would have decided who finished second. Once Spain were beaten then the Dutch and Chile qualified out of the group and Spain and Australia were gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I presume there was a market for that on some betting site? How would they pay out on that I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Kunkka wrote: »
    I presume there was a market for that on some betting site? How would they pay out on that I wonder.

Dead heat I would presume, the full odds you backed it at but for only half your stake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Spain because with the speed of sound of the refs whistle, the closest Spanish player would have heard it before the TV microphones.

Thats what I'm going with anyway :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

mikeym wrote: »

If I was organising a sweepstake, I'd be claiming it to be Spain based on worse goal difference. Ruining the best chance of people with Honduras and Cameroon..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Spain, who were knocked out on the 18th, Madrid time whereas Australia were knocked out on the 19th, Canberra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Australia as it was beyond their control to stay in the competition after they lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Australia on alphabetical order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Spain, on goal difference

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Well the bookies will be paying out based on a dead heat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

We done a sweepstake in work for the world cup. winners, semi finalists, and last place team in the same group as the winner all get money.

I got Spain...looking at Chile and Holland so far I may have a chance of getting that last place money :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Australia as it was beyond their control to stay in the competition after they lost.
    Wat d fuk is dis ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Both teams went out at exactly the same time.

They could both technically qualify until the final whistle of the Chile v Spain game. And then they were both out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Imo, any team that are out after their first 2 games all go out at the same time. Its luck of the draw when your fixtures are actually played so each matchday for all the teams should be treated as if the matches were on at the same time.

Spains results were no less crap if they were the last team to play their 2nd match.

Its more a "worst team" than first out tbh and Spains goal difference has them in pole.

Advertisement