Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careers in International Security and Conflict Studies

• 19-06-2014 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I am just finished my undergraduate degree in DCU, which was basically a sociology based arts degree. I am now considering a masters in International Security and Conflict Studies, which is also in DCU. I posted this on the DCU forum also, but I want to get a vast scope of opinions and viewpoints on this type of masters programme, and the potential future careers available on completion.

I know that I will enjoy the modules and writing the 20,000 word dissertation, so the actual content of the masters is not a worrying factor. I am going to cut to the chase though - What future career can one have after completing post-graduate study in the areas of conflict resolution and security?

I e-mailed the chairperson of the masters programme, he e-mailed me back with a list of potential careers: 'conflict resolution expert/advisor', 'diplomat', 'intelligence office for a government or private corporation'. Some other potential careers were also listed, but I find some of the careers to be quite vague in description.

What exactly does a conflict resolution expert/advisor do? I understand the basic concept, but what would the job entail on a day to day basis? Likewise with 'Diplomat'.

I am basically wondering if there is any substance to these future careers. Obviously the job market is in disarray at the moment, so it is naturally going to be tough either way. I just don't want to spend thousands on a masters though without having a better idea of where I may be in 10 years time.

So if anyone has previously completed post-graduate study in the area of conflict resolution, development, and security, or if you are currently working in this area, I would be very grateful to hear your opinions and viewpoints.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭AKeenan348

Hi,

How are you? Did you end up doing that Masters degree? I'm in the middle of my IR degree at DCU. If you chose it, what was it like?
    I'm weighing up my own options for a masters, and trying to choose between some options in UCD and this one at DCU. Thnaks so much in advance.

Advertisement