Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three 4G Coverage Growing

Options
  • 19-06-2014 2:12pm

But if you look at the map the coverage just barely covers the actual town/city, look at Carlow Town for instance, a lot of places missing coverage.

Is this the future of 4G a dot of coverage for every main town, barely covering the entire towns and the rest of the island gets slow 3G ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I use a 3 Mobile unit and to be honest the 4G speed isn't all it's cracked up to be. In Donabate I connect via 3G and get about 4 or 5 Mbps. When I visit Navan I connect via 4G and get about 7 or 8 Mbps tops. The 4G in Donabate doesn't make it to my apartment which is only about 1 Km from the mast !

Ken

The problem with 4g is the networks are not obliged to provide it !

4G huge potential for the areas of the Island not covered by dsl and crap dsl like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

In fairness, the 4G network has only been live for about 4 months... it takes time to build a network.

They will start with the places with the highest population density and go from there.

1huge1 wrote: »
    In fairness, the 4G network has only been live for about 4 months... it takes time to build a network.

They will start with the places with the highest population density and go from there.

Maybe they will but they might not, they're under no obligation to provide 4G.

Looking at Carlow Town they could have had a bit more coverage, they really have tight coverage around towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Vodafone seem to have good 4G coverage but of course you will pay through the nose for it.
    As bad as three.ie is at least you dont have to worry about going over a data limit

• Advertisement

Xantia wrote: »
    Vodafone seem to have good 4G coverage but of course you will pay through the nose for it.
    As bad as three.ie is at least you dont have to worry about going over a data limit

In the U.K they are applying a 2gb "tethering" limit to the all you can eat packages, sim only unaffected.

It won;t be long before they do the same here I suppose.

2GB is nothing, and what's a 15gb limit on your mobile ? really, who uses that amount on their phone ? So it would make 4G worthless as usual.

It's almost as if the operators don't want people using 4G.

http://www.androidcentral.com/three-uk-reportedly-killing-unlimited-tethering-new-contract-customers

4G has huge potential in Ireland with our scattered population and rural villages. But Eircom still insist in upgrading small exchanges to fibre when in fact most people probably won't move from regular DSL, and instead of offering fibre to the cabinet it would probably be cheaper to offer 4G fixed unlimited services to homes instead, there will still be many homes across the country who will never get fibre or anything above 500K-1mb because they're too far form the exchange.

Three.ie say 4G will be free until July 31st ? wtf does that mean exactly ? I sure as hell won;t pay extra for it, o.k I would if they allowed me unlimited GB and a good speed, yes then i would pay extra but not for a puny 15GB so called all you can eat.

Three must know no one will pay for 4G, I really believe the mobile operators want 4G as a business only service because it's only businesses I see using 4G at this rate.

I was tethering the last few months from my three sim only price plan and averaged around 15-20gb per month on their 3G/HSPDA network and it was perfect as long as you aren't downloading.

I have many times gone above their 15gb fair usage figure with no effect on my speeds or price plan.

I think you are taking it a bit personally, most of the mobile networks aren't even making money in Ireland at the moment.

I'm interested to know how they would apply this 2gb tethering limit with all you can eat packages, how would they know I'm tethering?

Xantia wrote: »

Vodafone have good coverage in the southern half of the country, But draw a line from just north of Carlow Town right across the Island and there is absolutely 0 coverage, apart from Dublin and Galway.

Vodafone charge 40 Euro PM for 10GB ? they're off their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Yes you are right, Dublin & Galway as 'islands' then that line south in Munster, they must be building it up from Munster upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Maybe they will but they might not, they're under no obligation to provide 4G.

Lovely, considering that from 31st July they plan on charging for a service they're not "obliged" to provide. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lovely, considering that from 31st July they plan on charging for a service they're not "obliged" to provide. :rolleyes:

The difference with Three being that they offer you the choice for the 4G add on, whereas all the other providers are charging you for it whether you use the service or not, there is no add on.

I don't see why people are complaining, it wouldn't seem fair to raise the price for all when only some are benefiting from 4G coverage, so a person n rural Ireland does not have to purchase the add on.

They are a private company, they paid c.a €800m to the Irish government to purchase the 4G spectrum, why should they be obliged to provide it to areas they will make a loss on, the 4G rollout will take time.

They will charge those who can get it obviously, But it's true, the mobile providers aren't obliged to provide 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 seanii7

When is 4g coming to Castleblayney in Monaghan. According to the coverage map a village outside the town has it which is ridiculous because it has about 200 people living there.

seanii7 wrote: »
    When is 4g coming to Castleblayney in Monaghan. According to the coverage map a village outside the town has it which is ridiculous because it has about 200 people living there.

Wouldn't hold your breath, doubt they have a lot of money after the 02 takeover and 02 didn't exactly maintain their network.

Look at their 4G coverage map and it's laughable. But at least they give decent monthly data but mostly if outside 4G which is most of the Island then you'd never get near the 15GB limit anyway !!!

Vodafone give what, 5GB on 4G ? lol the potential for a good proper fast 4g network is huge but the networks want us using the 3g network until they get their monies worth if they had upgraded the back end for much greater capacity in the first place we wouldn't need 4G to begin with, my guess is we're 10 years minimum from the 100 Mbs we were promised 4g would deliver !

If anyone knows Carlow Town, I can't even get 4G around the Supermacs drive thru !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So do lots of places. Rollouts take time.

ED E wrote: »
    So do lots of places. Rollouts take time.

I know they do but its annoying when i can walk 10mins up the road and get 4g with nearly 15mb, then be back on 3g with 1mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I know they do but its annoying when i can walk 10mins up the road and get 4g with nearly 15mb, then be back on 3g with 1mb.

Dont worry, that 4G will slow down too in time as people get new phones.

ED E wrote: »
    Dont worry, that 4G will slow down too in time as people get new phones.

No doubt, its three after all.

Advertisement