Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lovely Day in Salthill Yesterday

Options
  • 19-06-2014 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Galway Bay fm newsroom –

Gardaí in Salthill say they will clamp down on anyone drinking alcohol in public places.

It follows concerns from residents who claim large numbers of young people gathered near the beach over the past few days engaging in drinking and anti-social behaviour.

Gardaí say they will charge people who drink alcohol in public spaces, whether they are adults or children.

Councillor Peter Keane says he witnessed a number of young people ‘cavorting’ near Blackrock.

A number of fights also broke out at Salthill Park and Gardaí were assaulted.

Superintendent of Salthill Garda Station, Noel Kelly says the young people involved in the anti-social behaviour last night will not be let off the hook.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Aerohead wrote: »
    Galway Bay fm newsroom –

Gardaí in Salthill say they will clamp down on anyone drinking alcohol in public places.

It follows concerns from residents who claim large numbers of young people gathered near the beach over the past few days engaging in drinking and anti-social behaviour.

Gardaí say they will charge people who drink alcohol in public spaces, whether they are adults or children.

Councillor Peter Keane says he witnessed a number of young people ‘cavorting’ near Blackrock.

A number of fights also broke out at Salthill Park and Gardaí were assaulted.

Superintendent of Salthill Garda Station, Noel Kelly says the young people involved in the anti-social behaviour last night will not be let off the hook.
    Until 'Mommy and Doddy' get involved that is. Then Fainte, Fuinneog and Fiontain will be grand.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Heard the Super on the Keith Finnegan show this morning, it seemed to be pretty bad yesterday evenig, the Garda were called out to sixteen different incidents, from fighting to being drunk, and causing problems for people on the prom etc. Several Garda were hit in some of them so that is what the Super is on about not letting these thugs away with it and rightly so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It woz the Sun that did it m'lady

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Until 'Mommy and Doddy' get involved that is. Then Fainte, Fuinneog and Fiontain will be grand.:rolleyes:

Fainte Fuinneog and Fiotain weren't likely to be involved. Sham, Flickey and Snapback McTracksuit tend to head for the beach on fine days.

Gambas wrote: »
    Fainte Fuinneog and Fiotain weren't likely to be involved. Sham, Flickey and Snapback McTracksuit tend to head for the beach on fine days.

Not from what ive seen of Salthill Park in nice weather.

• Advertisement

Not from what ive seen of Salthill Park in nice weather.

We must have been there on different days. by being there, I mean, passing rapidly by. In fairness, you'd could get anything up to about 10 groups, most fine, a few dodgy ones, invariably scobes in my experience.

I tore into the dregs of a group of what looked like college students that left behind a heap of litter last year after drinking and eventually shamed a few of them into tidying up after themselves. Few other groups on show that day that I wouldn't have been so brave with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭galwayredgirl

We must have been there on different days. by being there, I mean, passing rapidly by. In fairness, you'd could get anything up to about 10 groups, most fine, a few dodgy ones, invariably scobes in my experience.

I tore into the dregs of a group of what looked like college students that left behind a heap of litter last year after drinking and eventually shamed a few of them into tidying up after themselves. Few other groups on show that day that I wouldn't have been so brave with.

How can you tell a college student apart from Fainte Fuinneog and Fiotain or Sham, Flickey and Snapback McTracksuit? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Have a friend living there who told me they were all local teenagers from Salthill and surrounding areas. Went for a walk last night and the ones I saw were certainly the Fainte type crowd, there was a disco in Leisureland which was jam packed with youngsters some of whom had a lot of alcohol on board they could hardly stand up. where was Mommy and Daddy I wonder last night.

How can you tell a college student apart from Fainte Fuinneog and Fiotain or Sham, Flickey and Snapback McTracksuit? :confused:

Attire, accents and brand of alcoholic beverage. If and how they are hitting each other is another one. And smell obviously. I've had years of experience observing these creatures in the bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Attire, accents and brand of alcoholic beverage. If and how they are hitting each other is another one. And smell obviously. I've had years of experience observing these creatures in the bush.

Lol can't beat the old racist stereotypes

• Advertisement

Have a friend living there who told me they were all local teenagers from Salthill and surrounding areas. Went for a walk last night and the ones I saw were certainly the Fainte type crowd, there was a disco in Leisureland which was jam packed with youngsters some of whom had a lot of alcohol on board they could hardly stand up. where was Mommy and Daddy I wonder last night.

I'm not sure how he is supposed to know their addresses, and I'd say he was bullsh!tting, because there are relatively few teenagers living in Salthill these days. It's mainly the generation who moved in when most of it was built in the 60's, young families that have replaced those that have already died off, and renters. Just like other areas of the city built up around that time. As for the surrounding areas, that'd be everything from Barna Woods to Ballinfoyle. Salthill has been a magnet for teenagers from all over the city on fine days for decades, nothing new in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Galway Bay fm newsroom –

Good to hear. I heard some discussion about it on GBFM.

The word "cavorting" is rather vague, but alleged assaults on Gardai are being taken very seriously I gather.

AGS need to take a clear and consistent line on this issue. Is public drinking illegal or is it not? Clearly underage alcohol consumption is. A couple of months ago the Chief Super was saying that the business community would not welcome a zero tolerance approach to drinking in public. That may be true, though it's unclear why that should influence AGS, but when "enjoying alcohol responsibly" evolves into public order problem something has gone badly wrong.

Personally I don't understand how a trip to the beach or park in this city/country can't just be enjoyed for its own sake without the need for public boozing and associated muppetry. And don't start me on the filthy mess the boozers inevitably leave behind them for someone else to clear up...

I was talking to a Guard who was involved in Operation Pull Your Pants Up. The troublemakers were not part of the teenage disco crowd and were described as from 'other parts of the city' who'd been drinking all day.

The troublemakers were not part of the teenage disco crowd and were described as from 'other parts of the city' who'd been drinking all day.

I wonder what AGS regard as being the implications of that description?

What difference does it make in terms of public order and policing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I was talking to a Guard who was involved in Operation Pull Your Pants Up. The troublemakers were not part of the teenage disco crowd and were described as from 'other parts of the city' who'd been drinking all day.

I was down there yesterday when two 'groups' converged and knew each other. One girl and one lad who were part of the first group lived pretty close by. I know this because he was roaring out his window on Dalysfort road to his mates, and the girl left to get her phone 'at home' and was back in 1 minute. I know the intimate details of their goings on because they were ROARING them.

The groups were all drinking, and the second group of lads were in almost skinhead attire. We were with an elderly man, and I actually think that stopped them from causing trouble with us (they were headed for us shouting the 'N' word (although none of us were black one person was sallow and could look 'foreign'). They smashed bottles and then upturned a huge bin (which we picked up when they left).
    I was pretty angry and too stubborn to leave our picnic, however two other groups left just because of their presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Video needs to be taken of this behavior and an official complaint made to the Gardai. They cant act on reports in the paper and they cant camp out in the area 25/7.

MaxFlower wrote: »
    Video needs to be taken of this behavior and an official complaint made to the Gardai. They cant act on reports in the paper and they cant camp out in the area 25/7.
    Sure the Super can just look out the winda and survey all before him

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LoveChanel

You are mistaking Galway with South Dublin snobs...... But I do see your point =]

LoveChanel wrote: »
    You are mistaking Galway with South Dublin snobs...... But I do see your point =]

Youre not familiar with Salthill i see.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Sure the Super can just look out the winda and survey all before him

There is CCTV equipment already in place.

Is it being used?

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    There is CCTV equipment already in place. Is it being used?
    It was already pointed out that they might be there for show or the soothing ebb of the waves :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

snubbleste wrote: »
    It was already pointed out that they might be there for show or the soothing ebb of the waves :cool:

Those cameras are real. However, can't be certain if they're being recorded or if anyone looking at coverage

Advertisement