Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh Cherry Recipes?

• 19-06-2014 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any tried and tested recipes using fresh cherries? I just purchased a 2kg box of them in SuperValu for €5!
    I've found some recipes online for cherry pie, but was wondering what else I can make with them?
    Any suggestions please? Otherwise, I could end up eating them all...
    TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I bought one of those a few weeks ago and made cherry pies. It was tedious stoning all those cherries (almost 100 for each pie!) but definitely worth it.
    I used this recipe for the filling, but not the pastry. I used basic shortcrust pastry with a heaped dessertspoon of icing sugar added http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/06/sweet-cherry-pie/

I'd never even tasted cherry pie before I made this but it's delicious :)

You could make a chutney if you didn't want to make a pie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I would recommend the traditional French dessert of clafoutis.

I also love sautéing them in butter and sugar and flambé if the, in either Cointreau/Grand Marnier or brandy or rum amd serve over ice cream... And with crepes if you're feeling fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aboysham

nosietoes wrote: »

I also love sautéing them in butter and sugar and flambé if the, in either Cointreau/Grand Marnier or brandy or rum amd serve over ice cream... And with crepes if you're feeling fancy.

Because you're too lazy to pit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭pigtail33

nosietoes wrote: »

I never thought of clafoutis. And it's so easy to make, yet so tasty. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldi super 6 has cherries @ 59c punnet for those that might not have SV near?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

aboysham wrote: »
    Because you're too lazy to pit?

If you don't pit cherries going into a clafoutis you're going to break your teeth. Also, don't be rude to people please & thanking you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

What is the easiest way to remove the stones without a special cherry pitter thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

I think I would be inclined to keep looking busy in the kitchen - because someone almost always comes along asking if there is something that they can help with ...

Otherwise it's just tedious. You need a sharp, pointed knife, and keep your fingers out of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

sillymoo wrote: »
    What is the easiest way to remove the stones without a special cherry pitter thing?

A serated knife is best in my experience, slice it down the middle like a peach, holding it between your thumb, index and second finger and twist apart pop out the pip and nom nom !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I prodded the stones out with the thin end of a chopstick in order to keep them whole (mostly).

• Advertisement

I prodded the stones out with the thin end of a chopstick in order to keep them whole (mostly).

Yea I tried this when making pickled cherries but couldn't do it. In the end I kept them while with a stern warning on the jar that there are stones in them. Would love to make a cherry tart next (love cherries) and might try a knife. My knife skills wouldn't be bad and hopefully will keep my fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aboysham

If you don't pit cherries going into a clafoutis you're going to break your teeth. Also, don't be rude to people please & thanking you.

I wasn't being rude.

A traditional Limousin clafoutis contains pits of the cherries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Apologies aboysham, it appears I do not know my clafoutis. However, it's not on to call people lazy. You were probably joking but it does come across as rude.

I don't know what a clafoutis is :(

(I feel like the guy on the tracker mortgage ad - off to google I go...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

O/T : Polo Stores sell bags of frozen pitted cherries

Clafoutis ? Sounds infectious to me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I found Julia Childs cherry clafouti recipe and made it quite a few times last summer when there was a glut of cheap cherries in the shops. It's very straightforward and very sweet but served warm with fresh cream............well, nothing more to say really! Well worth looking it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭pigtail33

In the end, I made the 'Fresh cherry cake with a hint of cinnamon' from bbcgoodfood website. Kinda like a clafoutis with a crumble topping, but more of a cake than a dessert. Very very tasty!
    I just used a knife to pit the cherries, but there are some videos on youTube showing how to pit them with a paper clip! Think I'll give this a go next time. Although I think it could take a bit pf practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

My grandmother used a homemade implement consisting of a cork and a hairpin. Have a look at this video. It demonstrates a bought cherry pitter and then the DIY version. It is in German but you will get the idea ;)

http://www.helpster.de/kirschen-entkernen-so-geht-s-ganz-schnell_21961

I am very templed to go and buy a bucket load of cherries now and get stoning and make Clafoutis! God I love cherries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭jos28

I bought the SV box too. I made mini cherry pies like these
    http://bittersweetscarlet.com/tag/cherry/. I used a chopstick to de-stone them. Should really invest in one of these
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/westmark-cherry-stoner/333-5637.prd

I also made a meringue roulade filled with cherries and greek yogurt

I put the remainder in a big bowl which I am working my way through now :D

• Advertisement

I just tried a pickled cherry I made a batch of two weeks ago - tasted very pickled I suppose. Very vinegary. Don't know if I can eat anymore of them. All the sweetness is gone :(

Advertisement