Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal trainer/ diet plan

Options
  • 19-06-2014 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I'm looking for someone to help me loss weight, since I have given up the cigs 3 years ago no matter what diet I go on it's not working. So I have decided to go a different route and try a personal trainer that may help me. I have ALOT of weight I want and more importantly NEED to loss. All help would be great I'm in the mullingar area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Do you exercise?
    can you stick to a plan
    have you even the motivation needed to stick at it?

as personal trainers are a waste of a lot of money unless you really work at your eating

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Poker84

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Do you exercise?
    can you stick to a plan
    have you even the motivation needed to stick at it?

as personal trainers are a waste of a lot of money unless you really work at your eating

I don't exercise, I can follow a plan. My diet is not bad but not great either. I have my own motivation so I will stick it out.
    The reason I'm thinking personal trainer is I do shift work and it doesn't allow me to go to da same weight watchers/ slimming world once a week,night duty kills me I'm like a B***h and my diet is crap.
    Or if anyone has any others ideas that would help I'm open to all ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

You will need to exercise to shift the weight.

A personal trainer will just cost you lots of money for something you could do yourself.

There is a gym with morning and evening fitness classes in mullingar with a decent coach that I could recommend, but you need the motivation

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Should Have Done Arts

sign up to your local spinning and cardiobell classes cheaper than a PT, more sociable than a PT and you will get the same results once you eat sensible.

For portions I just use a cereal bowl.Fill it with meat first then veg and finaly spuds.

You can fit way more ona plate than ina bowel.

Also get rid of any tea mugs u have around the house swap them for the normal tea cups.

Finally drink at least 3 litres of water a day, if your over 100kg drink 4 litres.

I'm not brave enough at the minute to do a class I know that's silly but I have to exercise I know it's a vicious circle. I'm just ashamed of myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Mod

Hi OP, welcome to boards :)

The Health and Fitness forum might be more appropriate for your query. I'll leave this thread open for local advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

Hi there. Why don't you start keeping a food diary? That way you can keep track of what your eating. Thing with food diaries is though you need to be honest and write everything down.

You will only lose so much weigh with diet alone, exercise will help you lose it more quickly. Before signing up to personal trainers etc. with the good weather just get out and get active. Go for walks, if you have a bike cycle. Cycling is easy on the joints and there's the canal line and also the Tullamore Road has a great wide hard shoulder that you can cycle in.

Set yourself small achievable aims, they're easier to keep, say go for 40 mins walk 4 times a week, or even 3. Or even start with 30 mins and work your way up. If you have a smart phone there are loads of apps that you can record your exercise and you can see your progress. Just get out and get active and then when winter comes that's when you hit the gym classes. Do you have friends who would go walking with you? Make it a social thing but don't rely on them, stick on your mp3 or ipod player and just get going whether its morning, noon or evening.

Hope this helps a bit, alternatively I'd suggest joining some of the local gyms and have them draw up a work out plan for you, Club Active I've spotted are doing good short term memberships (only know as I'm a member there) as I'm sure the other gyms are too. Shop around all the gyms and see what suits you best.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

There's plenty of spinning classes, gyms, cross-fit classes etc. around Mullingar. You're spoiled for choice really. I understand where you're coming from regarding being shy and not being able to attend a class, but it really is the only way (along with a strict diet of course) to lose weight. I teach in one of the cross-fit classes, and one of the guys has gone from 21 stone to 16 stone in about 16 weeks, so it's achievable. But it takes hard work and determination. Please feel free to PM me if you want more information about the class or even some private sessions.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jenniwenni

Hi - I go to spin classes in Cyfit, Lough Sheever and to TRX classes in fitness for U, Austin Friar street. Both are brilliant.

Both offer classes at various times throughout the day. There is all sorts of shapes, sizes, ages and levels of fitness in each - so no need to feel self concious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

id personally like to meet a lose weight get fit partner to help motivate each other and give support . Im 10 mile outside Mullingar but will travel to Mullingar no problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

Ok Im coning to this late so here is what I have to say on it from limited experience. EXTREMELY limited experience.

Ok so full disclosure I did a website for my girlfriends brother who is a Personal Trainer. Yesterday for the first time I actually went into the gym with him. What Im saying here is what Ive picked up from him and I could be parroting it back in a less than optimal fashion.

I will touch on a couple simple points then move on to what I was told when chatting about my own situation.
    Finally drink at least 3 litres of water a day, if your over 100kg drink 4 litres.

This is on the right track but not quite. For example I am 21 stone so thats 133kg. I need to drink 6 litres of water a day to maintain healthy liver and kidney function. You need to calculate your daily water intake based on how much you weigh. Generally weight in pounds times 0.67 with the result as fluid ounces. so for me 294lbs is 197 ounces or 5.82 litres. Dont just starting chugging water. Drink what you feel comfortable with and slowly up your water intake to match what you should be drinking.

Several people have mentioned that you should do cardio and do cardio and do cardio and do cardio etc. A fitness instructor in a gym will most likely tell you to do just that but ask them to do that themselves for 30-40 mins or whatever at a go they just wouldnt do it. They tell you to do it cos its easy on them and thats all that matters cos they are busy looking after the entire gym and really dont give a crap about you. Sweeping generalisation I know so take it with a pinch of salt.

Now by no means am I saying "Dont do cardio". That would be madness. What Im saying is that one of the main reasons people stop midway through these prepackaged excercise plans is that they just dont see the point in it. After all cardio on its own can only get you so far.

Now personally I want to get rid of the extra tyreS around my midsection but I also want to strengthen my chest due to issues relating to surgery a few years back so I have multiple goals. With that in mind I was shown 3 machines to use and we worked out the weight I need to set each machine for in order to get the best results over the next week or two.

Of course before we got to that there was another issue we had to deal with. One thing a lot of people forget is that we tend to favour one side or the other and we generally dont notice if we are a little off balance. I never even considered it myself despite knowing I favour my right side more than my left. So One of the first questions I was asked is if my hips were out of alignment. This was of course after I was asked about any trouble with my legs hips or back. Have awful trouble with my back some days.

Anyway he checked me over and noticed that something wasnt quite right and after some stretching which at times was painful (due to my size he had to put his entire body into helping stretch out the muscles) we made some progress. First time in like 10 years I actually managed to touch my toes in a seated position with legs and arms out straight.

If your legs/hips are a little off then any lower body work would affect one side more than the other and not be that beneficial to you overall. Thats the best case scenario. Worst case you could overwork one side causing injury.

Thats the meat of what was relevant to me that might also be relevant to yourself.

So finally I have this to say. I am 21 stone. I have a lot of trouble finding clothes that fit as a result so usually just pick up size 42 jeans and xxl-xxxl t-shirts and leave it at that. I am 6'4' so Im told I carry the weight well which essentially means yeah youre fat but its ok cos its less obvious but we can still totally see the ground give way beneath you. I hate the way I look and I hate even more admitting that this is how I am but screw that. Its how I am now but 8 weeks from now it wont be. I wouldnt go to a group setting myself not because yes I would feel a little shame but mostly I want to be able to do it in my own time.

Everything I know now is simple stuff but it would never have occurred to me before and most likely wouldnt have been adequately explained to me in a class setting or with a fitness instructor in a gym. Even if its just a once off thing my advice is to sit down with a personal trainer with a solid track record and get yourself properly assessed. Be open and honest about your diet and any physical issues you may have. Get a proper diet plan worked out and try get a simple excercise plan built around you. If you want to target specific areas of your body make sure you explain this and why and make sure and ask about strengthening muscles associated with those areas. As I said before I am gonna be working on my chest so first thing I was shown after I was put onto a machine for that was another for strengthening my back. Everything should be as well rounded as possible.

I would love to suggest a personal trainer in the westmeath area but I cant. I have no personal experience with any of them. Even if I felt it was right to say "Heres the number for my guy" he is based in Dublin which is most likely of very little use to you. In order to find a good one just get an appointment to see one or two of them. If they are half decent they will give you the guts of a session on the house so you can get a feel for whether they are what youre looking for.

I hope this helps a little. Good luck man. As for me its off to get me a gym membership first thing tomorrow.

Thanks emerald dragon,
    I have gone back to weight watchers and following the diet well( that's not to say I haven't been bold once or twice) thank you so much for ur honesty.
    To give more a perspective on why I was thinking personal trainer you have hit the nail on the head.My situation came about as I couldn't give blood cause I'm too heavy for the bed things they use( in May or June) I didn't admitted this not even to my husband until 2 weeks ago just ate my way through it, which at this stage I'm great at.
    I still want to go to a personal trainer for the exact reasons you pointed out. I did play camogie years ago, and I know as you said one side of my body is stronger then the other. The advice ur sisters boyfriend gave you is what I'm after.
    It's not that I don't know people in the know I do but will I get what I want from them not just do cardio!!!! It's the advice too. Any I need something quite flexible I am a nurse working days and nights doing 12 hour shifts 3 to 4 days/nights a week.

Advertisement