Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong Serial Number

Options
  • 19-06-2014 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

Lads need a bit of advice
    Bought rifle last Christmas and lad I bought from handed it into RFD for storage (I would pay storage charges) while waiting for licence.
    The licence was granted on 28/04/2014 I went to collect it and the RFD would not give it to me as serial number was wrong, fair enough I thought.
    Problem is (THESE) are not the real numbers. Number on gun ER45678 number on RFD receipt is 0608089. The number on the licence of the guy I bought the rifle from is 0608089. My licence is 0608089. I believe it to be the same gun and not mixed up with another
    It was the serial number on the RFD’s receipt that I applied for the rifle on which he took down the day it was handed into him. He took the gun in on one number and issued a receipt for it but would not give the gun out on the same number he took it in on.
    I phoned the super’s secretary from the RFD and she said it would be sorted straight away now after many calls to her it’s still not sorted.
    It turns out Supers secretary said local guard to RFD (60 miles from me) had to view rifle and make report on it to her. A month ago RFD said that local guard had been onto him about it. Still no word about it.
    NARGC said not really much they can do as it’s not a refusal but administrative problem with in the guards.
    Phoned RFD again for advice and not much was forthcoming about it.
    I would like to know what ye think my next step should be?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That's a lot of information, but if i have the gist of it. Your mate had a license for a rifle with the wrong serial number on his license. You bought it through an RFD that gave this wrong serial number, and the license you received has this wrong serial number on it.
    Number on gun ER45678 number on RFD receipt is 0608089. The number on the licence of the guy I bought the rifle from is 0608089. My licence is 0608089. I believe it to be the same gun and not mixed up with another
    If i've gotten that wrong i apologise. It seems to bee the case.

If so then in essence the RFD has a gun that was never licensed, legally, and all his records will show a wrong serial number. IOW the gun does not exist outside his shop.

An FCA2 amendment form would have solved all this. Get the dealer to write you out another receipt with the proper serial number on it, fill out the FCA2 using the amendment section (current details on the left including the incorrect serial number, and the corrected details on the right including the proper serial number).

Submit the FCA2 with the dealer's letter to the FO. As an official form it must be processed officially and cannot be ignored or forgotten about. While phone calls can expedite matters they can also be denied or "fobbed off".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

An FCA2 amendment form would have solved all this. Get the dealer to write you out another receipt with the proper serial number on it, fill out the FCA2 using the amendment section (current details on the left including the incorrect serial number, and the corrected details on the right including the proper serial number).

Submit the FCA2 with the dealer's letter to the FO. As an official form it must be processed officially and cannot be ignored or forgotten about. While phone calls can expedite matters they can also be denied or "fobbed off".

This is what I had thought of doing at the start but because the numbers in noway related to each other I called the super's office on the phone from the shop and things kind of took off from there and add to that the FO I deal with is a PITA to get a hold of ( almost 5 months to sub a .22 to .17HMR and nearly 6 months to get the .22 at the start and I only met him once in my life not for the want of me tring to get him) and is also the same FO that the previous owner delt with.

I'll stick in the FAC2 straignt to the super's office and see what happens.

Thanks

What has me curious is how did your mate get the rifle if his license is also wrong, and how did the dealer not cop it when he handed it in?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    What has me curious is how did your mate get the rifle if his license is also wrong, and how did the dealer not cop it when he handed it in?

You have me there.

On a side note the FO just rang me about 5 minutes ago, First time in months I'v from him.

I wonder is he reading this?

BEWARE. If ya don't sort people out we'll talk about ya. :D

Did you get to speak to him on any meaningful level? IOW did ya get it sorted - proper sorted?

• Advertisement

BEWARE. If ya don't sort people out we'll talk about ya. :D

Did you get to speak to him on any meaningful level? IOW did ya get it sorted - proper sorted?

That remains to be seen but we live in hope.

He did say he would look into it. I'll give him a week and if no news I'll stick in the FAC2.

If it were me i'd be straight back onto the phone, tell him you are submitting an FCA2 as you want this done. Tell him if he gets it sorted before the FCA2 crosses his path to just ignore it.

It's not a threat, but you covering your bases.

If it were me i'd be straight back onto the phone, tell him you are submitting an FCA2 as you want this done. Tell him if he gets it sorted before the FCA2 crosses his path to just ignore it.

It's not a threat, but you covering your bases.

Good point

Advertisement