Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on relocation for work

Options
  • 19-06-2014 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello all,
    I have been offered a job in Ericsson, Athlone. I am from India. The salary seems fine for now and all is good but after googling I have read bad stories regarding racial discrimination against foreign workers. So i would like to ask your opinions on this matter. Should i take the offer or not? Its a good opportunity for my professional career. Thanks a lot.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you can give links to come of those stories, so we can give you some idea of how much notice to take of them.

Most likely they are rubbish (we have some newspapers that publish nonsense), but without seeing what you are referring to we cannot tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭fits

take it. There might be some hassle in Athlone but I cant imagine its widespread or serious. (certainly compared to my perception of india)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tejinderss

If you can give links to come of those stories, so we can give you some idea of how much notice to take of them.

Most likely they are rubbish (we have some newspapers that publish nonsense), but without seeing what you are referring to we cannot tell.

I am sorry I tried posting few links i found but being a new user I am not allowed to post URLs here :(. I just found out those on google. Just wanted to know if its safe for me to come over there in Athlone and work?

Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tejinderss

fits wrote: »
    take it. There might be some hassle in Athlone but I cant imagine its widespread or serious. (certainly compared to my perception of india)

Thanks a lot for your comment. Could you please give me some tips on staying in Athlone? I won't go to many place in Athlone. Probably to markets and work place. My wife will stay at apartment if she could not get a job. Any tips where to stay etc. Your guidance is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, so it's Athlone you're asking about, not the company. (Sorry, I missed that you're a new user.)

The amount of hassle you're likely to get in pretty much any town Ireland is small compared to many, many other countries. So if it's a good job, I'd definitely say take it.

That's not to say it will be totally trouble-free, but it won't be so bad that you should not take the job.

And I don't know how large the Indian community is there, so it may be a little lonely for your wife.

MMm ... all that said, I'm going to transfer this over to the appropriate Regional forum, they'll know more specifics about the town than we do here in Work and Jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ahh, so it's Athlone you're asking about, not the company.

The amount of hassle you're likely to get in pretty much any town Ireland is small compared to many, many other countries. So if it's a good job, I'd definitely say take it.

That's not to say it will be totally trouble-free, but it won't be so bad that you should not take the job.

And I don't know how large the Indian community is there, so it may be a little lonely for your wife.

MMm ... all that said, I'm going to transfer this over to the appropriate Regional forum, they'll know more specifics about the town than we do here in Work and Jobs.

THere is a decent amount of Indian employees in Ericcson in Athlone, the locals will have become used to them years ago, I'd not have any concerns tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

You will have very little trouble. There is a huge amount of foreign people around Athlone, between the Indians in Ericcson, and the Chinese in the college, along with all other sorts of nationalities.

Athlone is a very safe town.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Athlone is a safe enough town alright but you still have to be aware and care for your safety as with any town. There are plenty of Indian workers in Ericsson, some are on contract from India, but there are lots of permanent employees now, living here full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

tubos wrote: »
    Athlone is a safe enough town alright but you still have to be aware and care for your safety as with any town. There are plenty of Indian workers in Ericsson, some are on contract from India, but there are lots of permanent employees now, living here full time.

This. The town is fine and you would make friends easily, both Indian, Irish and miscellanous. Multi cultural town these days and a good place to raise a family of any nationality.

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement