Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban from horse racing forum

Options
  • 19-06-2014 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭

Hi, have been banned from the horse racing forum tonight for a month, which I feel was undeserved, I'm wondering could someone here look into it and give me their opinion on it please. Can't link to the post in question it was deleted straight away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sure, I can look into it.

Oh, right, you posted in another thread to get around the Category Moderator note that I posted in the forum feedback thread. Okay, one month ban rescinded. Three month ban applied instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Sparks wrote: »
    Sure, I can look into it.

Oh, right, you posted in another thread to get around the Category Moderator note that I posted in the forum feedback thread. Okay, one month ban rescinded. Three month ban applied instead.

What are you talking about? How did I try to get around anything? I was advised to post here and for doing so I get another 2 months? Is there really a need for the condescending tone?

No, you got the extra two months because I hadn't seen your original post where you decided to vent after the forum feedback thread was closed for the night. Posting here drew that to my attention, and that's how you got the extra two months, because the local mod was more lenient than I would have been.

I never vented anything about the feedback thread

ft9 wrote: »
    I never vented anything about the feedback thread
    Less than ten minutes after I closed that thread, you posted this:
    ft9 wrote:
    Taking a few days break from this place. It's gone beyond ridiculous at this stage.
    Hitler would be proud.
    I'd call that venting.

• Advertisement

You could have closed a thread in the mustard forum and called it venting using that logic

Is it yourself Sparks that makes the decision here or is there anyone else?

You never addressed the need for the condescending tone either. I'm sure if someone was speaking to you like that you'd hit them with a ban.

(a) you didn't post that in the mustard forum, but in the horse racing forum.
    (b) my decision is made. If you want to ping it to an admin, go right ahead.

Can an admin have a look?

• Advertisement

Nothing about your tone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

@ ft9 ... I'll take a look at this for you

Leave me a couple of hours to read through the various threads

trout wrote: »
    @ ft9 ... I'll take a look at this for you

Leave me a couple of hours to read through the various threads

Thank you. That post quoted here was taken completely wrong, but his mind is made up.

Grand so

I'm still looking at the various posts and threads connected to this ... I won't be swayed by any one post, it's only fair to take the wider view.

OK ... I've read through the various threads & posts.

I'm going to talk to the mod & cmod involved.

For the sake of clarity - I am taking it as read that you are disputing the original one month ban, and the subsequent three month ban?

Right now, that's all that's on the table for me ... the original ban & subsequent extension.

With that in mind - what are your own thoughts on the now deleted post, and the events leading up to it?

Yes I am disputing both bans.
    Also the condescending attitude/tone which was used by the mod and cmod in dealing with it.
    This is the first time I've been asked for my thoughts or an explanation. Up to this I have been told what I meant. When communicating with the mod via pm I was just told "see you in a month" and you can see the tone used here by the cmod. Shows very little respect.

I feel my ban is a result of disagreeing with mod in feedback thread.

From your reading of the forum/posts/amount of disputes here regarding the forum, I'm sure you see it is absolute carnage at the minute. Regulars have left, been banned, utter drivel is constant, tit for tat argueing.
    Hence my post about staying away for a few days untill it died down. The hitler reference, was in relation to the forum as a whole, how so many have been driven away.

At first I was told the post was stressful to other users/confrontational/aggressive. Then I was told I ignored a moderators instruction. None of which I believe to be true.
    Both took it upon themselves to decide what I meant and came up with different conclusions as far as I can see. Not once was an explanation requested.

Thanks for your time looking into this. I don't expect a mod or cmod to change their mind given the way they have dealt with this so far. I feel like I should be receiving an apology from both of them.

Edit. If any user was affected/insulted/stressed by my post I apologise.

We can't deal with the wider forum issues in this thread ... that's in hand already.

This thread is about your dispute / ban.

If the comments you allude to on mod / cmod tone are specific to this ban, I will of course consider them ... but I will not be discussing them with you.

So ... while I'm talking with the mod / cmod ... let me ask you, you don't see anything untoward about your recent posts?

Had a bit of a tit for tat recently with another regular user. It ended quickly we both got on with it. No one took offence. That's all I see as inappropriate if my latest posts. As you said yourself this is in relation to the ban/dispute.

So, the post that lead to the initial one month ban ... can you explain that?

What was your intent? Why pick that thread?

ft9 wrote: »
    Yes I am disputing both bans.
    Also the condescending attitude/tone which was used by the mod and cmod in dealing with it.
    This is the first time I've been asked for my thoughts or an explanation. Up to this I have been told what I meant. When communicating with the mod via pm I was just told "see you in a month" and you can see the tone used here by the cmod. Shows very little respect.

I feel my ban is a result of disagreeing with mod in feedback thread.

From your reading of the forum/posts/amount of disputes here regarding the forum, I'm sure you see it is absolute carnage at the minute. Regulars have left, been banned, utter drivel is constant, tit for tat argueing.
    Hence my post about staying away for a few days untill it died down. The hitler reference, was in relation to the forum as a whole, how so many have been driven away.

At first I was told the post was stressful to other users/confrontational/aggressive. Then I was told I ignored a moderators instruction. None of which I believe to be true.
    Both took it upon themselves to decide what I meant and came up with different conclusions as far as I can see. Not once was an explanation requested.

Thanks for your time looking into this. I don't expect a mod or cmod to change their mind given the way they have dealt with this so far. I feel like I should be receiving an apology from both of them.

Edit. If any user was affected/insulted/stressed by my post I apologise.

I felt the off topic thread was the place for it. That's where the chat goes. Felt it didn't warrant it's own thread, and obviously had no place in a tips thread, daily thread etc.
    My intent was to let the regulars know I would not be around for a few day's. It's a busy time of the year with Royal Ascot on. It was chat, a lot of my posts are in that thread. 70% at a guess. I never go in with intent, it's chat with people that are there most day's of the week

• Advertisement

ft9 ... sorry for the delay, I have some RL stuff going on right now.

Looking at the timing of the posts in question, I think you pushed the boat out with the Hitler comment ... you Godwinned yourself.

I think the initial month ban was arguably harsh, but given the context and your awareness as a regular and active poster of what's happening in the forum right now ... I think you knew what you were doing, and I won't be overturning that initial ban.

I personally think the 3 months is a little harsh ... and I will commit to talk with the cmod / forum mods about the possibility of reducing this ... once your initial one month is up.

Take the 30 days ... and let the forum issues resolve as they will ... then come back to me.

Ok trout, thanks for your time and professional manner.

I'll miss any input to the forum while it's ironed out. So be it.

Thanks for that.

Drop me a line when the 1st month is up ... ideally we'll have any major issues in the forum ironed out by then, and like I said, I am happy to argue for reducing the extended ban.

Don't forget, you can still read the forum, just log out first.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement