Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail unit construction

Options
  • 19-06-2014 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I work for a retail business and we are adding an extra unit to many of our stores.

It's a very simple unit, 20ft x 15ft that will have its opening at the back of the store 20ft across and go 15ft deep into the existing warehouse.
    There will be a counter, shelving and a very small closed room at the side 5ft x 15ft, with a small table and a shelf.

It's currently costing an exorbitant amount even by Celtic tiger standards.

How much do you think that should cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Monkey111 wrote: »
    It's currently costing an exorbitant amount even by Celtic tiger standards.

How much do you think that should cost?

Like any product in any industry the cost is dictated by the marketplace. If it is currently costing an exorbitant amount assuming by a number of builders who have seen the actual requirements then so be it. You will need to rethink your plans, redesign, change spec to meet your budget.

Its very hard to put an estimate on a project as simply as you have requested without detailed information

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Monkey111

kkelliher wrote: »
    Like any product in any industry the cost is dictated by the marketplace. If it is currently costing an exorbitant amount assuming by a number of builders who have seen the actual requirements then so be it. You will need to rethink your plans, redesign, change spec to meet your budget.

Its very hard to put an estimate on a project as simply as you have requested without detailed information

Just looking for a ball park figure.
    It's a very simple unit, made of plaster board and slabs.
    Build to include plumbing for one small sink and electrics.

I know it's hard to estimate without seeing plans but as I say just looking
    for an estimate to the nearest 10,000 or even a cost per sq foot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Does the costs include planning application, fire cert application and disability access certificate (if required)?

kceire wrote: »
    Does the costs include planning application, fire cert application and disability access certificate (if required)?

No, all of the above are sorted

Your initial post indicates that you have already received prices so why do you think a ballpark out of the sky estimate is going to be more accurate than costs received from a builder who i assume has received your exact requirements

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No, all of the above are sorted

Fair enough. Thought that these extras would of explained the higher than thought prices.

kkelliher wrote: »
    Your initial post indicates that you have already received prices so why do you think a ballpark out of the sky estimate is going to be more accurate than costs received from a builder who i assume has received your exact requirements

No, we have not already received prices.
    Our current builder was hired in the good times and their prices were never renegotiated.
    Price seems high to me even for Celtic Tiger times.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hire A Qs

No, we have not already received prices.
    Our current builder was hired in the good times and their prices were never renegotiated.
    Price seems high to me even for Celtic Tiger times.

sorry I think I now get your point. You have a builder who generally does the work and based on what he generally charges the price will be high in your estimate?

if your looking for very approximate cost budget then the following is it:

Unit Shops €800-€1,200 per sq.m
    Retail Fit Out €1,100 €1,550 per sq.m

BryanF wrote: »
    Hire A Qs

as biased as my answer may be (!!!!) this is exactly what you should do as they could work with you to get the specification to a point where you are happy to go to market from a cost perspective. It really cant be understated how important it is to deal with the costs of your own actual project as apposed to general average cost guides as obviously a good portion of projects will be much higher than average

• Advertisement
Advertisement