Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help taking my wife to Dublin for 5th Anniversary....

Options
  • 19-06-2014 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi all,

Here's hoping I don't get kicked out for posting on this page but I need some help.

I'm taking my wife to Dublin this year for 2 nights for our 5th wedding anniversary. The last 2 times we got away it was to quiet places in the country so I want to surprise her with a bit of hustle and bustle for a change.

My problem is that it has been YEAR'S since we were out in Dublin without the kids (yes yes they were groomsman and flower girl at the wedding!). Anyway, I have no idea where is and is not a nice place to take a woman for a meal in Dublin any more....... Were living down the country now but will be staying in the city centre for the 2 nights. Just for good measure my wife can be quite a fussy eater..... I reckon it will be an Italian meal one night and a steak the next.

Can you please please help me bu suggesting Italian or steak restaurants in the city centre that you found good and (hopefully) romantic?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated both by myself.... and my wife.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I suspect this would be better suited to the Dublin forum rather than The Ladies Lounge, but for steaks any of the FXBx are usually nice. http://www.fxbuckley.ie/

I've never found a "Wow!" Italian in Dublin - I find them all a bit samey, and would consider them a step or so above fast food - somewhere you pop into as you're passing, rather than somewhere you make an effort to reserve and go to for a night out. Hopefully other people will have lots of suggestions for fabulous Italians that I haven't heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Def recommend trocadero! Had lovely steak in there. FXBs is hit and miss IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dohda

Sorry if its the wrong forum. Mod pls redirect me if you so see fit.... I just thought I might get a female perspective on what might be a nice place to go in Dublin for dinner rather than asking the lads and getting a large list of exactly the same answer...

Don't get me wrong. I would love there suggestions but whether my wife would or not may be a different matter.

Thanks for those suggestions. I'll check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

dohda wrote: »
    Sorry if its the wrong forum. Mod pls redirect me if you so see fit.... I just thought I might get a female perspective on what might be a nice place to go in Dublin for dinner rather than asking the lads and getting a large list of exactly the same answer...

Don't get me wrong. I would love there suggestions but whether my wife would or not may be a different matter.

Thanks for those suggestions. I'll check them out.

Cafe Napoli on Westland row is a decent Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'd highly recommend Fallon & Byrne, you do walk through a (fancy) supermarket almost but the upstairs restaurant is very very swanky, and the steaks are top notch.

If you'd be open to French, I'd recommend Chez Max by Dublin Castle. Tiny and adorable, and if it's warm you can eat outside which is lovely.

Boulevard Cafe is decent too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Mod

Moved to Dublin City Forum. Should be better location-specific advice here OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The BEST Italian in Dublin is called Terra Madre, it's along the North Quays, between O'Connell Bridge and the Ha'penny Bridge. It looks like a cafe, so the surroundings are not salubrious - and might be a good bet for a early evening meal on the first night (Friday?) then on for a few drinks elsewhere.

The guys who run it are Italian, passionate about their trade and absolutely love their food. The menu is based on fresh, available ingredients, and is quite small, so really what's on is what you get (there's always a veg option too, just in case). Good house wine and excellent coffee too. You'd need to book it.

For a steak, or "plain" food, you could do worse than Fire at The Mansion House, it's a Steak/Pork/Lamb/Chicken/Fish kind of place, and is always busy, food is quite good and the new coctail lounge downstairs is decent for a pre-meal tipple.

Worth a look, and it's location is pretty good too, for getting to other places afterards.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Some people might disagree with me but I have yet to have anything but an exceptional meal/steak in Marco Pierre Whites, Dawson Street

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

Ciao Bella Roma on Parliament street is good. They do nice pizzas.
    If it's pizza you want, there is also Paulie's Pizza in Beggar's Bush. It's not an Italian restaurant in the chequered table cloth and chianti bottle candlesticks kind of way, but they have excellent pizza and pasta. It's a pretty cool, buzzy restaurant with unbelievable cocktails. Might be fun.
    Also a little out of the city centre in Rathmines is Manifesto for good pizza, Pinnochio in Ranelagh just under the Luas stop. I haven't been there in quite a while but it was lovely last time I was there.

I really wouldn't class any of these places as a step above fast food...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

For a steak, or "plain" food, you could do worse than Fire at The Mansion House, it's a Steak/Pork/Lamb/Chicken/Fish kind of place, and is always busy, food is quite good and the new coctail lounge downstairs is decent for a pre-meal tipple.

Worth a look, and it's location is pretty good too, for getting to other places afterards.

+1 for Fire, the steaks are amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

If you are looking for a nice steak and somewhere a bit classy, I would definitely recommend the Trocadero (http://www.trocadero.ie/). Myself and my OH go there every year for our anniversary, have never had a bad experience.

It's nicely located on St. Andrew Street, around the corner from the Grafton Street area, if you are looking to go for a few drinks afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Most romantic steak house that does great steak is Marco Perrier white in Donnybrook.

Only €6 to town in a taxi after for a change of scenery. Maybe the shelbourne hotel bar, nice mix of style and class with a thirties plus clientele.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LifesgoodwithLG

Hi there,

Best Steaks in Dublin are at Darwins of Aungiers Street - Absolutely to die for, the owner is vegetarian and her partner a Butcher so that have meat , fish and veg all sorted out. I absolutely love Ciao Bella however it is more casual but great during the day. Can I also recommend Brasserie 66 on Camden Street ( absolutely love 101 Talbot and also Le Bon Crubeen ) - everything is to die for and please order a cocktail and make it very special. Both locations are very close to city centre. Nico's is the only Italian that I can think of to recommend for a nice dinner.

Depending on what you are looking for drinks wise , some of the nicer / Posher places in town The Bank on College Green ( in front of Trinity ) , Cafe en Seine on Dawson Streete etc, Hope that you have a ball. Check out the Gate theatre at the top of O'Connell Street for a wonderful experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

kopfan77 wrote: »
    Some people might disagree with me but I have yet to have anything but an exceptional meal/steak in Marco Pierre Whites, Dawson Street

That'll be me then. I was brought there for my birthday and found myself totally underwhelmed by the food. Good service but the steak just wasn't up to scratch. It's a pity, but there you go.

There are plenty of good steak restaurants around as you see by all the answers here. Check out menupages that gives you a load of reviews and there are certain good deals there too. Darwins is good for steaks, but if it was me I'd look at Buenos Aires Grill. I've never had a bad steak there, and at a decent price too.

Then take here off for drinks / cocktails somewhere after. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Its not an Italien, however, myself and husband had our 2 year anniversary last week and ate in a restaurant called the farm, which is located on dawson street.

Cant recommend it enough. Everything is organic food and steak is divine

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

OP where are you staying? I recommended trocadero as much fir the atmosphere as for the food, quite a romantic setting. I had the best tuna steak in Fire (not what you're looking for but would rec the food). The only problem with Fire is it can feel quite empty sometimes as its so large. This may have changed though as I was there a good year ago. Paulies Pizza is a little outside city centre but 5 min taxi no problem. If you're stating in city centre though I wouldn't bother venturing further afield as some great places in there along with atmosphere. I went to Paulies for the first time a few weeks ago.. Buzzing young atmosphere, was great! But my pizza was a bit burnt on the edge..still nice but comparable with the likes of Milanos IMO. I've never been to Darwins but its next on my list after this thread! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Totally disagree. Last time I was there, all four people (mmyself included) spent all of the next day puking and pooing. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What's your budget??

I'd recommend Odessa (downstairs!!), atmospheric and romantic (not upstairs! Book downstairs)
    Then a cocktail in the shelbourne.

I'd also recommend milanos. Quick easy, not v romantic though!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Oooh I really love Toscana on Dame St for Italian - nice setting and yummy food! Couple of lovely places on Millenium Walkway beside Jervis as well - Bar Italia and Wallaces get a thumbs up :)

Darwin's is lovely for steak - so is Shanahans but thats v pricey!

I find Dax one of the nicest restaurants I was ever in:
    http://www.dax.ie/restaurant/fine-dining-in-dublin-our-menus/a-la-carte/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Totally disagree. Last time I was there, all four people (mmyself included) spent all of the next day puking and pooing. Never again.

Did you report it?

I've enjoyed any meal I had in there - not a great place for atmosphere however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

spurious wrote: »
    Did you report it?

I've enjoyed any meal I had in there - not a great place for atmosphere however.

Emailed them three times, no reply, so reported it to the fsai, haven't heard anything since :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

www.lovindublin.com

Great information about restaurants in dublin there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MARTYRYAN

Rustic Stone is good

Pichet, In my opinion, is always great. It's not Italian but the food is fab and it's in a great location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The one and only time I ate in the rustic stone I was violently sick within a couple of hours. It's an overpriced, Celtic tiger place anyway. The food poisoning just sealed the deal for me and I'd never go near the place again.

Mid price range; Fallon and Byrne, chez max, le gueleton (sp?), FXB on Pembroke St

The one and only time I ate in the rustic stone I was violently sick within a couple of hours. It's an overpriced, Celtic tiger place anyway. The food poisoning just sealed the deal for me and I'd never go near the place again.

Did you report it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

amdublin wrote: »
    What's your budget??

I'd recommend Odessa (downstairs!!), atmospheric and romantic (not upstairs! Book downstairs)
    Then a cocktail in the shelbourne.

I'd also recommend milanos. Quick easy, not v romantic though!

I like Odessa too. And Milanos, always buzzing, but yes, not romantic.
    It's years since I was in Trocadero, but my memory of it was that it felt special, and would be a romantic atmosphere.

Whereabouts are you staying OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Oooh I really love Toscana on Dame St for Italian - nice setting and yummy food! Couple of lovely places on Millenium Walkway beside Jervis as well - Bar Italia and Wallaces get a thumbs up :)

Darwin's is lovely for steak - so is Shanahans but thats v pricey!

I find Dax one of the nicest restaurants I was ever in:
    http://www.dax.ie/restaurant/fine-dining-in-dublin-our-menus/a-la-carte/

Must try some of these.
    I read a great review a while back of Shanahans, I believe it's pricey alright.

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Must try some of these.
    I read a great review a while back of Shanahans, I believe it's pricey alright.

Shanahans is great. But beyond pricey!
    So is thorntons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd vote for that. Been there about 5 times now, each time with 4 people, every steak ordered was fantastic.

I was in Darwins once, my steak was fantastic, but wifes steak was a piece of meat that should never have touched a pan. It was supposed to be a ribeye, but was some horrible thing with grisel all the way through it, and even though it was cooked right, it was as tough as a boot. Was really big and an odd shape.
    Complained as almost the entire thing was on the plate and didn't get a penny off the bill. I could never recommend the place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement