Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2014

• 19-06-2014 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

Nicolas Almagro is out of Wimbledon due to a foot injury. He'll be replaced in the draw by Pospisil.

Draw will be made tomorrow morning. Who we tipping for the title?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

RosyLily wrote: »
    Nicolas Almagro is out of Wimbledon due to a foot injury. He'll be replaced in the draw by Pospisil.

Draw will be made tomorrow morning. Who we tipping for the title?

Not sure, just don't want to see another Novak v rafa final. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Djok. Nadal to go out early again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Men's and Women's draws now online. Some good potential matches!

Andy and Novak are in the top half and Federer and Nadal are in the bottom. Murray opens Centre Court on Monday against David Goffin. Djokovic meets Golubev, whereas Nad and Fed meet Klizan and Lorenzi respectively. Guess who could be waiting for Nadal in the 2nd round?? Lukas Rosol!:pac:

Serena and Maria have been drawn in the same quarter. RG champion will face British WC Samantha Murray, probably on Centre I'd imagine! Serena will play Tatashvili.

Interesting R1 matches - Bouchard vs. Hantuchova. Stephens vs. Kirilenko.
    Potential QFs - Halep vs. Jankovic; Azarenka vs. Radwanska; Kvitova vs. Li.

Sabine Lisicki will play first on Centre on Tuesday in the absence of Bartoli. She'll play Julia Glushko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If Federer can avoid Nadal I think he could get a win. He's still a top player on grass. I don't think Nadal will win this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

You'd have to fancy Serena. Last time she lost early in the French Open she went on a rampage winning everything. Can't see her having a second blip next week.

Interesting/annoying to see some so called professionals calling it a snub to not let Serena open play for the women in the absence of Bartoli. I assumed from the minute Bartoli retired it would be Lisicki as runner up who would open play. I don't know what world some of these people live on.

• Advertisement

Interesting/annoying to see some so called professionals calling it a snub to not let Serena open play for the women in the absence of Bartoli. I assumed from the minute Bartoli retired it would be Lisicki as runner up who would open play. I don't know what world some of these people live on.

Ben Rothenberg as well was having a moan, very surprised with that, as he is quite sharp normally.

I'd definitely favour Serena too. Unless someone was to come up with something special or she has a freak injury, she'll probably be adding to her GS tally.

I really don't know on the men's side tbh. I'd love to see Federer win it, question mark over Nadal imo, Djokovic is dangerous but has lost 5 of his last 6 GS finals and I'm not sure about Murray. I wouldn't be surprised if all 4 reached the semis....but then again when was the last time that happened?

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Ben Rothenberg as well was having a moan, very surprised with that, as he is quite sharp normally.

Americans eh?:pac:

Seems fair to me that the finalist is picked. Serena may be former champion but so what! She's opened CC plenty of times!

Oh God, no. I can't stand him. I used to think he was one of the better ones but after all the abuse slung as Azarenka after that medical timeout at the Australian Open, and he being one of the most annoying about it, I lost all respect for him. I recently unfollowed him actually because he just got too hard to listen to.

I don't remember what he said, but it was a pretty crappy thing of Aazrenka to do, nearly as bad as dating that music dude from LMFAO.:P

• Advertisement

I don't remember what he said, but it was a pretty crappy thing of Aazrenka to do, nearly as bad as dating that music dude from LMFAO.:P

The problem I had was a bunch of these professional journos were on twitter as it was happening telling the world she was a cheat and speculating about her motives and saying she was faking and all sorts of things. It just struck me as extremely unprofessional. If you're just a fan who writes a blog in their spare time, fine, be reactionary and live tweet your feelings as you have them. If you're being paid by a reputable paper or broadcaster to cover an event then maybe you should take a few minutes to find out what's actually going on and wait until you have all the information before accusing people of things.

But anyway... Wimbledon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Nadal has won Wimbledon 2014

/thread

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

About the Azarenka thing, it's amazing the way people have recreated what happened. Saw this on the Australian Open Facebook page:
    I lost a lot of respect for her during her semi finals match with Stevens...it was a cheap move during a match she was losing and should have lost...poor sportsmanship and her grunting is just the worst...WTA needs to stop this grunting
    "a match she was losing and should have lost"! Heaven help us all.

Haven't really had time to do a full analysis of the Wimbledon draw, but if Serena is to mess up I think it would be to Genie in the 4th round. All in all though I think Serena will get her 2014 back on track by winning Wimbledon, and Andy will defend his title.

I'll be going on Tuesday, really excited to find out what matches I'll get to see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I'll be going on Tuesday, really excited to find out what matches I'll get to see :)
    If there are no delays, I think Tuesday will be top half of the ladies, and bottom half of the men's draws, so they'll be the matches happening, it'll just depend on what courts you're on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Johnmb wrote: »
    If there are no delays, I think Tuesday will be top half of the ladies, and bottom half of the men's draws, so they'll be the matches happening, it'll just depend on what courts you're on.

Cheers. I'll be on court 3. Won't get to see any of the biggest names in the game but should still get to see some seeds, so I'm happy :)

Cool! You'll definitely see some seeds on #3. It's a really nice court as well. I love wandering around the grounds. Lovely place when it's sunny out.

Don't forget to have a Pimms and some strawberries!:)

Not sure if this was mentioned but Lisicki has parted ways with coach Hingis. She's had not great results since they've been working together, but then again Lisicki's had months of bad results. Her ranking is going to take a serious dive after Wimbledon unless she manages to repeat the miracle of last year.

Murray v Goffin should be great fun, although you do feel murray will have to be seriously off to lose. Dimitrov v Harrison and Brown v Baghdatis may be worth a look as well.

From the women side, I'd be interested to see Sloane v Kirilenko and constant grass failure Stosur v Wickmayer.

Just seen Vandeweghe is playing Muguruzu tomorrow, very interesting game as well.

• Advertisement

Have you guys seen the Fantasy Wimbledon game on the official site? You pick 5 players based on different attributes to make one super player and you get points for the different things. I assume there's prizes too, I never actually checked. www.fantasy.wimbledon.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

BBC1 2235 hrs tomorrow night, Monday there's a documentary on Murray's Wimbledon win: When Andy won Wimbledon

Davenport is back! Wahey!!

Kirilenko takes the 1st set 6-2 against Sloane on Court 18.

Stosur first seed to go out.

^ Shock!:pac:

Stephens could be on the way out here!

Edit: Nope! She saves 5 MPs to force a 2nd set tiebreak.

Sloane gone now.

Stosurs form at Wimbledon has always been dreadful, she really hates it here.

Sloane losing not to shocking either, Kirilenko better than her rankings and good on grass also.

Kirilenko's been injured most of the year so her ranking definitely doesn't reflect her ability. Another reason why maybe seeding based on ranking isn't always great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

And We're off !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Azarenka struggling in her match, but Baroni can't seem to close it. Squandered a few set points that would have brought it into a third set.

Vika's first win since January in Australia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Handy warm up win for Andy.

Venus looks fab. Lovely dress. She has her leg taped up, but she still looks fit, still looks very powerful.

In other Wimbledon news, Venus Williams and Tomas Berdych posed for ESPNs The Body issue. E online have 2 photos. They look fantastic!!! Very jealous! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Fognini having his usual drama filled match. The man is a walking soap opera but great fun to watch.

• Advertisement

What do people think of Venus' chances? I think she could go pretty far. She looked very focused and hungry out there today. She could knock out Kvitova.

What do people think of Venus' chances? I think she could go pretty far. She looked very focused and hungry out there today. She could knock out Kvitova.

Have yet to see Venus but, judging by twitter, she was in great form today.

Is it just me or are there more empty seats on some courts? Maybe people aren't interested in watching certain players or something...

RosyLily wrote: »

Is it just me or are there more empty seats on some courts? Maybe people aren't interested in watching certain players or something...

Given how hard it is to get tickets for the show courts, and there's queues of people outside since yesterday, I don't understand the empty seats. If I had a ticket for one of the main courts I would be there all day, regardless of who was playing.

I was reading an interview with Bouchard today and apparently her mother's family have Irish connections so you know... we can claim her as one of ours :) It's the closest we'll get to having a women's player at a Slam ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Stella89

Nadal takes the second set to level it with 1-1 with Klizan. Nadal has had to play his A game to level it. He might take control here

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Stella89

Shot of the tournament by Nadal to get to break point in third set . A fall and a pirohette to smash a cross court winner . Wins game and may have broken Klizans heart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bugger. Should have stuck with the men's match by the sounds of it.

Switched over to watch the demolition derby by Sharapova of the poor English wild card girl.

Klizan has had a lot of errors. A few times he's had Nadal on the ropes and then hits the ball long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

According to wikipedia, Maria Sharapova and Grigor Dimitrov have received a wild card for the mixed doubles. Should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Gotta love Gaël Monfils. One of the best personalities on the circuit.

I always forget how great Daniela Hantuchova is on grass. She has great variety in her shots. Leading Bouchard 3-1 at the moment with some brilliant returns.

Hantuchova should really be a set up on Bouchard at the moment. Double faulting and errors kinda throwing it though.

Hantuchova should really be a set up on Bouchard at the moment. Double faulting and errors kinda throwing it though.

Definitely! She was going so well and I thought she'd push Eugenie to 3 or maybe even pull off a win. Doesn't look likely now.

Good to see Petko into the next round. Garcia bear Errani. I know Sara is god awful on grass but it's a boost for Caroline.

Yeah, bummed about Hantuchova. She's been playing all the best tennis, pulled out some genius shots and has been showing a bit of creativity, not afraid to come to the net. Bouchard has just been stuck to the baseline all match. Hantuchova just can't seem to convert when it matters. Frustrating to watch.

Don't see Bouchard going all the way in this competition anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

It's working for Rafi..... tournament won ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Are there any official streams guys?
    Thought I remember there live streams last year.
    obviously dont be posting illegal stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement