Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muppets on the Road 24/7

• 20-06-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

just a short story time... about a regular day of a biker...

1. driving trough Balbriggan at 55km/h while a mitsubishi colt 1,2 petrol 2002 touched my mirror overtaking me on the main road crossing doubles... 4 young lads in the car, i stopped them and i scared the **** out of them...i swear i though i am down...

2. 40 min later on Lord Edward street taxi driver overtaking me for no reason from the left.. i touched his door with my boots as i was scared to ****... he said i was going to slow... the zone is 30km/h and i was only following the rules...

moral of the stories are that whenever you are keep your eyes open... it can come at you anytime...

btw is there something i can do? like call gards or report the drivers? will that make anysense?

have you got a similar story? go on share it...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Personally I wouldn't do 30kph in any of the 30kph zones.
    But take the taxi number and report him to the gardai, happened to my mate and the gardai took it very serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Cienciano wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't do 30kph in any of the 30kph zones.
    But take the taxi number and report him to the gardai, happened to my mate and the gardai took it very serious.

yeh i should have taken the number... :( next time i will do.. but Lord Edward street is very busy, i say extremly busy at this stage of the year... lots of tourists not paying atention... looking to wrong side of the road before crossing... really no point to go any faster.. even if the speed limit its not there, i woudlnt go over 40 on that road anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I would have reported and taken the first incident very seriously, a motorist so close that he hit off your mirror. Be a different story if it was a couple of inches closer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

I would have reported and taken the first incident very seriously, a motorist so close that he hit off your mirror. Be a different story if it was a couple of inches closer.

i was in shock.. for split a second i though i am going under the car... we are talking here about 5 cm difference.. or simple bump on hte road and i could have ended up badly injured. and there was absolutely no reason why he was doing that...
    after i stoped the car the lad /driver in his early 20's was saying to me that if i bought 1liter bike i should drive it well and not going like a pussy.. i gave him lesson just a short warning and him and his friends didnt even know what to do or say as i was honestly ready to fight them all and kick them asses... they pussied out, but hell what was that about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Bikerguy wrote: »
    btw is there something i can do? like call gards or report the drivers? will that make anysense?

Handiest thing is to report it on Traffic Watch on 1890 205 805, it will be assigned to the local guards to investigate. You may have to go to court as a witness though.

All these calls are logged, and it saves you having to find the number for the local station each time to report it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I've de-mirrored a few cars in my time for similar muppetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

i was in shock.. for split a second i though i am going under the car... we are talking here about 5 cm difference.. or simple bump on hte road and i could have ended up badly injured. and there was absolutely no reason why he was doing that...

Of course you were, stopping the car and taking the law into your own hands was not the right thing to do though, who knows the driver may have been uninsured or disqualified from driving and you could have had that driver taken off the road by the authorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Ed,

No excuse for the clowns nearly hitting you mirror. Instead of wasting your energy on deaf ears, or risking harm to yourself or others I would simply have leaned on the mirror (and it happened to brake off) while telling them that the move was not KOOL!

As for city centre driving, IMHO dont plod around like a learner. You have to move in an urgent and direct manner leaving no doubt where you are going. If you were moving a bit quicker that clown in taxi would not have overtaken you. No excuse for it but be more passive aggresive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Sun brings them out... and a friday today too, it'll be carnage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

My latest mantra , buy a bloody camera. Ive an old go pro. Its those fiddly potential accidents where please god no one is hurt but a fairing etc is cracked. The guilty will say fugh off it wasnt me......the camera never lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭CNTRLR

i had some young lads in a micro once taking the piss trying to overtake me on a dangerous bend, really ticked me off, i was only out for a spin so i decided i had enough, followed him with the intention of just having a chat nothing malicious, turns out he was on his way home, i pulled into driveway after him, almost instantly his mammy comes out of the house and starts shouting at him to run to the shed to get his daddy, daddy come out with intent on violence, i tell mammy if her son keeps driving the way he is doing she will bury him within a year, que dad turning aggression on the son and mammy apologising and offering a cup of tea... que me hightailing it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Ed,

No excuse for the clowns nearly hitting you mirror. Instead of wasting your energy on deaf ears, or risking harm to yourself or others I would simply have leaned on the mirror (and it happened to brake off) while telling them that the move was not KOOL!

As for city centre driving, IMHO dont plod around like a learner. You have to move in an urgent and direct manner leaving no doubt where you are going. If you were moving a bit quicker that clown in taxi would not have overtaken you. No excuse for it but be more passive aggresive.
    Yeah, agreed. No excuse, but forget about that 30kph limit, it's actually dangerous because cars will just try and get past.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fingers!

My latest mantra , buy a bloody camera.

Agreed, I think everyone should have one.

Catches everything from the woman who started rolling back to me after taking her foot off the brake at the traffic lights to the cars who pull out in front of me at junctions/roundabouts to the gent who decided to shower me with windscreen wash on the N7 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

moral of the stories are that whenever you are keep your eyes open... it can come at you anytime...

Ride faster more aggressively.

And by aggressively I simply mean hold a command position on the road while maintaining a "decent rate of progress".

Advertisement