Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best deli in Kilkenny?

Options
  • 20-06-2014 12:16am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What do you guys think is the best deli in Kilkenny and what do you like about it? I love Freshco myself if I'm driving in the morning or if it's later I grab a doughnut and coffee for €3 in Topaz.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Freshco hands down. Centra in loughboy near the village club would be close second.
    Gourment store is top drawer as well
    Blaa blaa are decent too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Freshco hands down. Centra in loughboy near the village club would be close second.
    Gourment store is top drawer as well
    Blaa blaa are decent too

I like freshcos but it's very expensive and the staff are always bloody miserable looking...

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Freshco for me too. It's on as expensive as the ones in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Benny Cake wrote: »
    I like freshcos but it's very expensive and the staff are always bloody miserable looking...

The checkout ones are worse...

Best for me and it's out in gowran is Goodies & Glasrai. It's a small foodie type shop, streets ahead of most places in Ireland. Lots of nice homemade fillings and really nice service too.

• Advertisement

toe_knee wrote: »
    Freshco for me too. It's on as expensive as the ones in town.

Crazy expensive, their non deli prices are eye watering. There's little completion for them, as there's no other places near but a big demand from business parks there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Bla Bla Bla or the Gourmet store Hands down!

No where as nice in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

yawhat! wrote: »

No where as nice in Ireland!

Bla bla bla for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

road_high wrote: »
    Best for me and it's out in gowran is Goodies & Glasrai. It's a small foodie type shop, streets ahead of most places in Ireland. Lots of nice homemade fillings and really nice service too.

When they put up new photos on Facebook I'm drooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Eurospar Newpark does it for me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Spar beside the town hall, lovely food, reasonable priced and staff are friendly which is a plus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Dore's has a nice Deli, especially the Kieran St. shop. Honourable mention to Superquinn/valu although that has inevitably gone downhill since the changeover and was always quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

Freshco gets my vote... good variety of grub and have to disagree with poster above, its nice to have a chat and get a friendly face behind the counter of freshco with all the staff, they always have time for you and have a chat to see how things are....

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

Shortis Wong shop on John Street.
    Great deli, great coffee and great cakes.
    Very good value too

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Agree with Shortis Wongs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

Nourish in the Market a Yard. Staff are fabulous, lovely Italian girl runs it. Now sit-down area too. Great sambos and my fav quiche.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 andy7

Christ no Freshco's Staff are as rude...NEVER smile...Also their food you could find anything in your Roll, Hairs,Fly's etc...Awful place.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Have to agree. While the Freshco food is pretty good, I have rarely seen staff as unhappy anywhere. They are absolutely miserable in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

Have to totally disagree with your comments on Freshco. To make such a statement is defamation to any company and damaging to there customer base which i feel is totally out of character for Freshco....

If you had such problems with your roll did you make any manager or staff member aware of the problem?

If the staff were that unhappy and miserable why have half of them working there for over 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

While the food is good, the service is shocking in Freshco's. Its also a tad pricey for my taste so if overpriced sandwiches, served up by miserable looking staff are your thing, then fill your boots...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Freshco food is nice, the staff behind the deli counter are horrid. Its like they hate the job and take it out on customers. I got a lecture off one for asking for 3 rolls (Not all for me, I was on the food run), I was mortified in the shop I swear I will never return there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Can't say I've the noticed the staff being grumpy as I'm not the nicest of people around 6-7am when I call. The do a hell of a spread but the sausages are just bland.

Ya can't beat the sausages from petrol station in irishtown or the esso on Callan road roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭smiffy2ky8

Freshco does it for me, great food and great service

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

yawhat! wrote: »

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Went & tried Freshco on foot of this thread some months back.

I wouldn't consider it a deli in the traditional sense at all tbh. It's more of a petrol station or SPAR type affair & that's reflected in both the service & quality of ingredients on offer.

Gourmet Store is the best I've tried in KK.

sout out to centra in louchboy for the meat pizza and the curry chips.
    Delish

Benny Cake wrote: »
    While the food is good, the service is shocking in Freshco's. Its also a tad pricey for my taste so if overpriced sandwiches, served up by miserable looking staff are your thing, then fill your boots...

You should see their non-deli prices.... Some of the dearest prices for snacks, drinks etc I've seen anywhere in Ireland.

You should see their non-deli prices.... Some of the dearest prices for snacks, drinks etc I've seen anywhere in Ireland.
    They have perfect location that service everyone that works on the road. They can charge what they want.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    They have perfect location that service everyone that works on the road. They can charge what they want.

Bit of competition badly needed out that way so.

• Advertisement

Bit of competition badly needed out that way so.
    place across the road is nice.

Advertisement