Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Me too now :(

There always seems to be an attack around draft time

The last really big one was this time 6 years ago I believe. It was when you went from JP Liz to JP Liz V1 and yeah I remember it cos it was during the draft and actually messed people up a lot worse than this one because accounts became impossible to access again (hence the re-regging) while this time it was just the site that couldn't be accessed for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Isn't it 6 years today since Boards was hacked??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

sounds right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Been utter arse to use all week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,349 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was there also a problem last year too around draft time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I believe it was down for nearly a day last year iirc

It's a conspiracy to disrupt the draft :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Can only get on via my phone too. Worse than the WWE Network it is!

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I believe it was down for nearly a day last year iirc

Yes I remember having problems trying to log in last year and year before around draft time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Did my head in not being able to get on the last few days, glad all is resolved now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Anyone know how strict 3arenas over 16s kevin hart tomorrow but he looks about 12 and we can't find his passport.

sky88 wrote: »
    Anyone know how strict 3arenas over 16s kevin hart tomorrow but he looks about 12 and we can't find his passport.

I know Kevin Hart is small but he looks more than 12 :p I'm guessing they will be pretty strict, so keep looking for the passport

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

sky88 wrote: »

I used to do some nixers down the O2/3 Arena. It's usually not that strict - it's to do with the drink licence, but if he's with you and you're not a dick to security, they'll usually turn a blind eye.

Deadlie wrote: »
    I used to do some nixers down the O2/3 Arena. It's usually not that strict - it's to do with the drink licence, but if he's with you and you're not a dick to security, they'll usually turn a blind eye.

Sound dude yea he's with me and my older brother too so should ok. I'll be on my best behaviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Just don't get him to hold a pint for you while you run to the bathroom or anything either now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,267 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Has anyone else noticed both in the weeks prior to the DDOS and now that the site is really slow with each page taking a while to load?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

This is the first time I've even been able to log in since Sunday evening. Definitely running super slow right now but I'm sure it will grind back in to life eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Haven't noticed Boards running slow prior to the DDoS myself. It's still pretty slow but it'll pick up back to full speed in the next few days hopefully.

The gummyment have been hit with a DDoS as well.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0122/762161-cyber-attack/

I can't even imagine the difficulty of sorting the DDoS, let alone getting everything back to normal, while being hounded on twitter for updates. Fair amount of d***heads on there as well as Reddit.

Anyone know about wall mounting TVs? Looking to put my 50" up on the wall, one that swivel and tilts if possible. Saw one on sale in Adverts for €50 but hoping to find it cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

R.I.P Black.

Only 53 and was living in Cork.

Sadly I didn't know much of his other music but that was such a fantastic tune.:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Terry Wogan has died.

Will always be he voice of the Eurovision. :(

RIP Terry Wogan.
    His sign-off before Christmas is more poignant now: "I am not going to pretend that this is not a sad day - you can probably hear it in my voice. I am going to miss the laughter and the fun of our mornings together. So, I am going to miss you, until we are together again in February, have a happy Christmas. Thank you, thank you for being my friend.”

Rip terry

Cancer is just a horrible disease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

That is so poignant. So sad but such a beautiful unknowing goodbye.

You'd wonder why the death of a famous person or celebrity gets to us but it is very much like Wogan said at the end of his sign off, they are are friends and we are theirs.

They are in our homes throughout our lives, whether it is a comedian on the TV, a presenter helping us wake on morning radio or a footballer we've cheer for years that gave us a mountain of enjoyment and fun.

There is also a massive nostalgia feeling to these deaths. I generally just take a moment but I remember when The Ultimate Warrior died (right after with HOF induction). I got a text from one of me brothers,who is now not a wrestling fan, about it.

There is a gas home video we have. It is my dad "interviewing" all his wrestling mad boys all face painted like the Warrior about what is happening in WWF at time. Jammed packed with excitement, innocence and joy. Ya'd have to see it.

When Warrior passed it brought me right back to these times. It's always nice to remember.

Odd time for YouTube channels:
    Gamesack (who do weekly themed episodes featuring multiple games - highly recommend) are frustrated with views and mean comments/burnout are taking an indefinite hiatus. Worth noting that January is also the worst month for online ad revenue, so in that respect, it's the best time for YouTubers to take a break.
    TotalBiscuit (Cynical Brit) has terminal liver cancer so he's off social media, not wanting to deal with negative comments. He's still releasing videos though.
    The Fine Bros (the guys who make Kids React, Teens React etc) have trademarked "react" style videos, claiming them as their own intellectual property, and are blocking/striking similar channels and even similarly-TITLED videos. It's really evil, corporate bullying. They are also attempting to monetize other people's react videos by licensing their generic format. It's very sad that they are using their network, Fullscreen, to force other youtubers out. You can see a live countdown of them losing subscribers here.

On the flip side,
    F4W/Bryan Alvarez has opened up a channel and is putting some clips and their free audio shows on it.
    The LAW have also opened up a new channel. The newest Review-a-Wai (in audio format) is up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I've enjoyed the React stuff for years now but this leaves a really bad taste & sets a worrying precedent for YouTube; by all means trademark the graphics used in the presentation of the show but to trademark "React" is just feckin ridiculous & shouldn't be allowed. It's not as if the react format is heaving in originality either, anyone can do it. Fine Bros are popular because they do it well & some of their guests are good craic, not because they're the only ones or even the first ones to do it. Licencing 'React' videos would be like a video game reviewer licencing video game reviews (I may or may not be the Britta Perry of making analogies). The positive spin they put on it sickened me too, don't try and dress this up as anything other than money-making & corporate.

This is a great parody of it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Have reaction videos not been universally turned on yet? Because I can't imagine people still flock to them tbh.

Speaking of The Fine Brothers,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Reading the whole FineBros thing is absolutely crazy. They seem to be saying they want control over the reaction videos because they will be a source of history in the future, when people want to see what reactions were to massive social events....like 2 Girls, 1 Cup I guess :/

In a similiar vein, ChannelAwesome (of That Guy With The Glasses) had an issue where they got a strike for a movie review, spent three weeks trying to get feedback from Youtube as to what they did wrong, let alone fix it, with no avail. Posted a video complaining that went viral online, and the problem was fixed in 4 hours. Youtube really seem to be all over the place recently...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Huh. I was wondering why I didn't see Game Sack make a new video this week.

And oh. Somewhat related to this subforum, TotalBiscuit just did a podcast with Xavier Woods.

And wow, Terry Wogan's dead? This has been quite the month for cancer related celeb deaths for those residing in the UK.

Advertisement