Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

ERG89 wrote: »
    Hasn't there been a billion spent in the last year in the PL yet the standard of it(especially the big clubs) is still quite poor.

Wow thats a crazy number!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Got a phone call from TV3 telling me I won the X Box competition they were running, yes yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Got a phone call from TV3 telling me I won the X Box competition they were running, yes yes.

Well done! Mad jealous.

I rarely win anything. If if fell into a bucket of tits, I'd come out sucking my thumbs! However, I did win a PS3 one time. Sony had a showcase set up for the Move when it launched, and I entered the competition on the way out the door, kinda half-heartedly. Very surprised to win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

speaking of Xbox, you gotta love their choice of fighters for the cover of the new UFC game

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkpMFBjE4vsWC0SxHQpIpuIGbcw5KoetlHEnAxA7oK9LAA312S

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Well done! Mad jealous.

I rarely win anything. If if fell into a bucket of tits, I'd come out sucking my thumbs! However, I did win a PS3 one time. Sony had a showcase set up for the Move when it launched, and I entered the competition on the way out the door, kinda half-heartedly. Very surprised to win!
    Enter everything and you win eventually. We won tickets for Electric Picnic as well. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Saw 10 Cloverfield Lane tonight. Hadn't read anything going in so I had low expectations of a Cloverfield 2, was pleasantly surprised to find out it's actually a great sci fi thriller. John Goodman has a pretty good performance too.

I went to see that on Saturday there and really enjoyed it. It kept you guessing all the way. I went to see The Boy yesterday as well which was surprisingly quite frightening I thought.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Belgium under attack :(

Two explosions at the airport, two more at Metro stations, and reading another two under siege at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Scary how easy it is happening right in central europe.
    21 lives lost and counting :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

This is truly sickening. What is it going to take? Where will it end?

It's scary really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

The real scary part when you think about it is how quick a coordinated response this is to the arrest the other day even after Belgium said it would be heightening security if fear of a response.

It's easy sometimes to disregard them as extremists who have weapons but don't really know what they're doing but unfortunate reality is they know exactly what they're doing. And are doing it in a scarily well organized manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Just horrific to look at the news stories

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Reports ares saying the attack was already going to happen, but after your man was arrested it got moved up to happen earlier then planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Scary world we live in right now. And you gotta believe Ireland is the softest of soft targets, like imagine our Garda and Army trying to respond to an emergency like in Belgium yesterday. I really hope the security for the Rising commemorations is top notch! Im at a stage in my life now where I try to avoid bad news and dont read tabloids or watch sky news etc for that reason but events like yesterday are impossible to avoid. I just hope these attacks stop. I dont know what the answer is but just wanted to say its a truly scary world at the moment.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea id say security will be increased over the 1916 events since it would be a perfect target .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,852 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yea id say security will be increased over the 1916 events since it would be a perfect target .

Was only thinking about that. Imagine a loyalist paramilitary attack Dublin this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,349 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Johan Cruyff and Garry Shandling dead - RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Adam Johnson gets 6 years. Well deserved in my book. He knew what he was doing, he knew it was wrong yet still did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Adam Johnson gets 6 years. Well deserved in my book. He knew what he was doing, he knew it was wrong yet still did it.

He should've had the whole ****ing library thrown at him, 6 years is a joke of a sentence, he'll be out in 3 or 4 for "good behaviour" mark my words...

6 years, his sentence should've been longer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Reading people on the soccer forum defending him was a very new low.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    He should've had the whole ****ing library thrown at him, 6 years is a joke of a sentence, he'll be out in 3 or 4 for "good behaviour" mark my words...

6 years, his sentence should've been longer..

In no way will I say that he should have gotten less time but 6 years in prison for a crime like his can be like an eternity i'd imagine. I would not be surprised to see him being targeted in prison plus if there is anyone who would be less equipped for Prison life it'd be someone who has lead the pampered life of a professional footballer since he was a youth.

I too would expect him to be out in 3/4 years though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

In no way will I say that he should have gotten less time but 6 years in prison for a crime like his can be like an eternity i'd imagine. I would not be surprised to see him being targeted in prison plus if there is anyone who would be less equipped for Prison life it'd be someone who has lead the pampered life of a professional footballer since he was a youth.

I've no sympathy for him, he took advantage of a child half his age and knew it was wrong. He deserves to be battered. I know if that was my daughter he wouldn't of went to prison because I'd of killed him first.

I read somewhere that he'll be kept away from the general population, and apparently the prison he's been sent too HMP Frankland, a kiddie fiddler was brutally murdered with razor blades, so that paints a damn gruesome picture of what general population think of kiddie fiddlers...

It'll be a "come crashing down to Earth" experience for him, but good riddance to the scumbag, he made his bed, now he's got to lie in it..

All kiddie fiddlers should be handed the same sentence, 25 years, with a chance of parole after 20..

Also going to 2nd what Beaker said above, If anyone went near my daughter (when I do eventually get to being a father), I'd be in prison..

A child's childhood should be filled with innocence & laughter & happy times, the world's a depressing enough place as it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Yeah no sympathy at all for him either just saying I honestly think even if perhaps it should have been a longer sentence it will be hard time (and damn right too) he is serving as it will be a "come crashing down to Earth" experience for him as said abovethat I dount he will be equipped to handle.

As much of a peaceful wouldn't hurt a fly type of guy I usually consider myself to be I too would echo the sentiment that if I had a daughter and someone like him did something like he did to her I would want him to recieve the worst punishment possible.

Reading about the whole Johnson case brought back reading about Ian Watkins and the **** he committed, same thing, used his fame to get what he wanted, but only worse, far worse, the PDF file of the case, it's a tough/uncomfortable read, he's serving 29 years, with 6 more tacked on due to the severity..

Like I said, the world's a depressing place as it is, but knowing that people like Watkins and Johnson exist, makes it that much worse..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,852 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Batman vs superman really does not deserve the bad reviews it's been getting. May of been slow at the start but it gets moving fairly fast after that. Jessie eisenberg was great playing lex (he seemed a bit like the joker to me), Affleck was fairly OK playing batman.

Going to start daredevil season 2 tonight. Looking forward to civil war later in the year

Civil War's only 6 weeks away :P, It comes out in Ireland a week before the U.S.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I have found the marvel releases hit an miss, the Captain America movies were good so far but the last Avengers was weak so I am not sure what to expect from the latest release.

Hated the last Superman movie so would have very low expectations for Batman v Superman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Batman vs superman really does not deserve the bad reviews it's been getting. May of been slow at the start but it gets moving fairly fast after that. Jessie eisenberg was great playing lex (he seemed a bit like the joker to me), Affleck was fairly OK playing batman.
    Well then, what did I, the general audience, have to say about the movie?
    Well...I've got words to say about Batman v Superman...unfortunately, they are not kind words. Pure '90's comic wankery. Superman is broken. Batman just as much so. Wonder Woman...not so much, actually. Eisenberg as Lex is about as terrible as you'd expect him to be, as they seemed to have smashed his portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg with The Joker. He also hates the heroes, because...reasons. Never clearly explained why. And then there's Doomsday, which is actually pretty accurate, considering how much of a one note character he was in his initial appearance, so either way, not good.

I mean, people seem to give Batman and Robin a lot of derision, but after the release of this movie (and the subsequent treatment of Batman in modern era as this dark, brooding, gritty, crack no jokes guy and people seemed to have latched onto because of those reasons), I'd be happy to see a movie like that after viewing this. Make no mistake, this is quite possibly the absolute worst DC related thing to ever have been put on the big screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Superman is the ultimate babyface and imo should never do what he did in MOS:
    kill somebody

I also think Clark Kent is a huge part of the Superman character and I felt it was a poor call to leave his introduction to the end. I came away from that film feeling like those involved were embarrassed or ashamed about the character. I do like the soundtrack though as I'm a big Hans Zimmer fan. It's not up to the John Williams version but nothing would be.

Advertisement